Via Rail - Quebec City to Montreal

CruisnDeb

We plan to take the Via Rail from Quebec City to Montreal.  Do we need to worry about buying our tickets ahead of time?  We have an excursion in Quebec City planned for after our cruise and aren't sure of what time we will be dropped off at the train station, so I was hoping we could purchase once we got to the train station.

3 hours ago, CruisnDeb said:

We plan to take the Via Rail from Quebec City to Montreal. Do we need to worry about buying our tickets ahead of time? We have an excursion in Quebec City planned for after our cruise and aren't sure of what time we will be dropped off at the train station, so I was hoping we could purchase once we got to the train station.

A good reason to purchase tickets ahead of time is that they're less expensive. An advance purchase ticket might be 42.00 CAD, while a last-minute ticket could be as much as 146.00 CAD (or even 217.00 CAD if only business class remains). Ask yourself if the possibility of having to spend an additional 104.00 CAD for a last-minute ticket is necessary to avoid the risk of losing 42.00 CAD for a ticket for a train you might miss. Another is the possibility of a particular train being "sold out," that being most likely (but still unlikely) on Fridays and Sundays, and at holiday time. But if you're not adamant about traveling on one particular train at a specific time, then under ordinary circumstances you should be able to obtain transportation even if that particular train were to be sold out. The Gare du Palais in Québec has both train and bus departures, and so under a worst case scenario Orléans Express could provide you with good quality transportation to Montréal (in fact, I have long found Orléans Express to be the best provider of regular bus service in all of Canada). Bus fare is 40.00 CAD for advance purchase, or 65.74 CAD for last-minute. These buses depart from Québec at 6h30, 7h30, 9h30, 10h30, 11h30, 12h30, 13h30, 15h30, 16h30, 17h30, 18h30, 19h30, about 3 hours travel time. Via Rail Canada trains depart from Québec at 5h25 (weekdays only), 8h10, 12h36, 15h00, 17h45, about 3 hours 15 minutes travel time.

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

A good reason to purchase tickets ahead of time is that they're less expensive. An advance purchase ticket might be 42.00 CAD, while a last-minute ticket could be as much as 146.00 CAD (or even 217.00 CAD if only business class remains). Ask yourself if the possibility of having to spend an additional 104.00 CAD for a last-minute ticket is necessary to avoid the risk of losing 42.00 CAD for a ticket for a train you might miss. Another is the possibility of a particular train being "sold out," that being most likely (but still unlikely) on Fridays and Sundays, and at holiday time. But if you're not adamant about traveling on one particular train at a specific time, then under ordinary circumstances you should be able to obtain transportation even if that particular train were to be sold out. The Gare du Palais in Québec has both train and bus departures, and so under a worst case scenario Orléans Express could provide you with good quality transportation to Montréal (in fact, I have long found Orléans Express to be the best provider of regular bus service in all of Canada). Bus fare is 40.00 CAD for advance purchase, or 65.74 CAD for last-minute. These buses depart from Québec at 6h30, 7h30, 9h30, 10h30, 11h30, 12h30, 13h30, 15h30, 16h30, 17h30, 18h30, 19h30, about 3 hours travel time. Via Rail Canada trains depart from Québec at 5h25 (weekdays only), 8h10, 12h36, 15h00, 17h45, about 3 hours 15 minutes travel time.

I didn’t know the prices for the train would fluctuate like airline tickets. I also didn’t know about the Orléans Express bus. Our tour should end by 1:30 pm so it looks like we have a few options. I really appreciate all the information—you have been very helpful thank you. 

• Like 1

This news is, hopefully, and probably, just seasonal with summer temperature up in north country.  But, worth keep tracking of, anyone with Canada/NE cruises that will originate and/or end in Quebec (Montreal) Canada this year - and, planning to use Amtrak.

https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/re-starting-amtrak-halts-service-montreal-18172648.php