Mobility Scooter use on Smart Elevators on Carnival Venezia

fair-winds39

Has anyone using a scooter, wheelchair, etc. used the new “Smart” Elevators utilized on a couple of the newer carnival ships? If so, do you think they are easier or more confusing to operate than the standard elevators or about the same? Just wondering since I’ll be using my scooter on our next cruise. Folks say if you follow the directions the “smart” elevators are great. Thanks.

Once people get used to them, the smart elevators work very well and are more efficient than “normal” elevators.  People need to remember to select the floor they want, once for each passenger.  That way the smart elevator “knows” how many people will be getting on.  For people with walkers, wheelchairs and scooters, there is a disabled button under the regular buttons.  Press that, then select the floor you want.  Then the elevator will allow extra room for the mobility device.  It works very well if people follow these “rules.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Few use the "smart" elevators as designed.  People don't press the button to count each person in their group and people jump in the next available elevator

That’s very true.  If people would just use these elevators the way they are designed, they would be very efficient.  

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I originally posted this on the Disabled boards. I mentioned Carnival Venezia in my topic though, and should have made the topic “Less Specific.” Because of that I guess it was moved here. Anyway, thanks again.