Upgrade bid Accepted - What Now

mairead224

Hi,

I noticed that my bid was accepted yesterday as MSC took the upgrade amount out yesterday.  I have had no other contact from them and our state number on the MSC app remains the same.  When do they email the new docs.  Cruise starts in 4 days

Thanks all 

Just an update that upon further investigation the money was removed from my account June 23rd.  As of today 27th, We have had no email confirming change and the MSC app is still showing old cabin.  We are due to board ship in 3 days.  Our TA has said they have no record of change 

We departed an MSC ship on Sunday. We are avid cruisers and had two more booked. MSC is, by far, the least coopertative with cruisers than we have ever experienced. Here is an example. We followed the rules on Sunday, in departing the ship in New York. Our group was called and we got on line. We knew we did not owe any money and no one had told us we were owed money. My husband makes it through departing and I am stopped at the gate. Huh? I am told I have to report to customer service. They would not let my husband join me. Long story short, we made it to customer service. They told us they owed us $14 because we did not pick up an umbrella we had reserved on the island. They walked us over to a cash machine and retrieved 4$ in quarters and a ten dollar bill and then told us we could go back to depart the ship. That was the finale to cruise adventures we had never experienced before. Never again. 

2 hours ago, jerseyralph said:

We departed an MSC ship on Sunday. We are avid cruisers and had two more booked. MSC is, by far, the least coopertative with cruisers than we have ever experienced. Here is an example. We followed the rules on Sunday, in departing the ship in New York. Our group was called and we got on line. We knew we did not owe any money and no one had told us we were owed money. My husband makes it through departing and I am stopped at the gate. Huh? I am told I have to report to customer service. They would not let my husband join me. Long story short, we made it to customer service. They told us they owed us $14 because we did not pick up an umbrella we had reserved on the island. They walked us over to a cash machine and retrieved 4$ in quarters and a ten dollar bill and then told us we could go back to depart the ship. That was the finale to cruise adventures we had never experienced before. Never again. 

So they stopped you to give you money they owed you, and you will never sail with them again..................................Interesting!!

• Haha 1

That was not the only issue, but it was the final straw.  If, when we were exiting the ship, they had indicated that we were owed money, not that we owed MSC money, we would not had been as upset.  Our experience and observations have always indicative that if you get flagged leaving the ship, you owe money to the company.  

6 hours ago, mairead224 said:

Just an update that upon further investigation the money was removed from my account June 23rd.  As of today 27th, We have had no email confirming change and the MSC app is still showing old cabin.  We are due to board ship in 3 days.  Our TA has said they have no record of change 

Check to make sure the charge has actually gone through on your bank account and not just listed as "pending". I had the same problem on Seashore last year. Upgrade appeared to go through, credit card was charged, but it only ever went to pending and never fully went through. No new cabin number arrived. Calls to MSC had them assuring me that the cabin change was clearly coming. Interestingly, our cards said Yacht Club and Guest Services assured us that we had access to YC even with our Aurea cabin, but we very much did not. The charge never did go through in the end, and we didn't get the upgrade, but it sure seemed like it was trying to give it to us. 

On the Divina this past March a few days (5 or 6 maybe) a hold was put on my credit card for my upgrade bid amount.  My cabin number never changed and two days (I think it was two) before the sailing I received an email from MSC saying I did not get my upgrade bid and would sail in my original cabin. The hold disappeared the next night.  

7 hours ago, jerseyralph said:

That happened to us on a Princess cruise once.  We were not allowed to leave the ship, but made to go to Guest Services, where we were given cash (a lot) to zero out the OBC we had not used.  It took a while; fortunately we did not miss our airport transfer.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, Aixia said:

Check to make sure the charge has actually gone through on your bank account and not just listed as "pending". I had the same problem on Seashore last year. Upgrade appeared to go through, credit card was charged, but it only ever went to pending and never fully went through. No new cabin number arrived. Calls to MSC had them assuring me that the cabin change was clearly coming. Interestingly, our cards said Yacht Club and Guest Services assured us that we had access to YC even with our Aurea cabin, but we very much did not. The charge never did go through in the end, and we didn't get the upgrade, but it sure seemed like it was trying to give it to us. 

Id say you could be right.  Money left account last Friday but it still says pending.  Due to travel on MSC tomorrow and still no contact or money returned.

11 hours ago, mairead224 said:

Id say you could be right.  Money left account last Friday but it still says pending.  Due to travel on MSC tomorrow and still no contact or money returned.

From what I could tell when it happened to me, the issue was on Upgrade Advantage's end, not MSC. The customer service folks at MSC on the phone, at check-in, and onboard were all great, but there was nothing they could do. It can't hurt to call MSC and to ask them at check-in, but you might be in the same situation as me. So sorry! It sucks to get your hopes up and have it not happen. The ship is still going to be awesome though, so don't let it ruin an otherwise fabulous vacation!