Submarines

Lawre

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

Is there really anything much to see down at 1000ft on the sub?  If you already scuba dive, then this just seems to be a glorified glass bottom boat excursion.  

Of course if the sub is included as one of my Seabourn Club benefits, then I'd certainly consider it!😁

In the ocean with ideal conditions light can travel down to 1000 meters (3280 ft) but there is rarely significant light beyond 200 metres (650 ft)

Less light = less growth so yea at depth there is not a lot to see, rock cliffs and bottom would be devoid of plants so the only food attract to sea life would be plankton’s.

I agree with your view on this type of excursion. I would like to see the underside of a glacier or ice shelf tho.

Edited by Cantara24

18 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

If I'm staying home,  it's going to be cashmere, a cashmere silk blend or super baby alpaca. 

I don't even know what cotton wool is!  I did find this:

People also ask

Is cotton wool same as cotton balls?

cotton is obtained from the cotton plant while wool is obtained from the sheep. But cotton is obtained in the form of fluffy cotton balls hence, it is also known as 'cotton wool'.
Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I don't even know what cotton wool is!  I did find this:

People also ask

Is cotton wool same as cotton balls?

cotton is obtained from the cotton plant while wool is obtained from the sheep. But cotton is obtained in the form of fluffy cotton balls hence, it is also known as 'cotton wool'.

Well researched 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Well researched 😁

I did learn that cotton wool is what we call cotton balls.  I think some of the cut and paste evaporated.  

• Haha 2

Well, I cam back to find that the conversation had drifted just a 🤣 bit from the submarines. 

13 hours ago, texanaust said:

Is there really anything much to see down at 1000ft on the sub?

Nothing says they have to dive to 1,000 feet; that's just their limit. I suspect many dives are actually far less than that — to go where there's, hopefully, something worth seeing. 

As for what's there, this is from the Smithsonian Institution: "The area of the ocean between 650 and 3,300 feet (200-1,000 m) is called the mesopelagic. Barely any light filters down to these depths, and yet still life thrives here. Squid, krill, jellies, and fish are super abundant in this zone."

I know people who have done subs on Scenic and Seabourn, all but one (A TA on a highly discounted Scenic cruise and she got to go on the sub for almost nothing) felt it is a waste of money,  To each their own, I'd prefer a helicopter where I know I can see something if I am laying out that money.  YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khareef said:

yeah most people I talked too in antartica told me the sub was a waste of money, some people felt really ripped off, some others liked trying something new although they did not see much.

I predict that the price will drop.

4 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

not 20,000 leagues under the sea...

Since 20,000 leagues is a distance of 80,000 km, or over 40,000 nautical miles* — nearly twice the circumference of the Earth! So Verne's title refers to the distance traveled under the sea, not the depth. 😀

* Actually, different measures were used for a league in various countries, and even in the same countries over time. Which is why it's not a unit of measure used anywhere any longer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Pursuit in Antarctica in October and November so had to take a look at this thread about the subs. I’m sure they are quite safe BUT I am also sure if I was on board I’d be thinking about the Titan the whole time and wouldn’t be able to get the thought out of my mind. 😳.  It’s like that old line about skydiving….why leave a perfectly good airplane (or cruise ship)!  We will be skipping the subs even if included. I do scuba dive which is riskier I’m guessing but you go with your comfort level. 

cheers Kent

5 hours ago, Shipless in Seattle said:

We will be skipping the subs even if included.

Included?! Ha! Seabourn lists the sub excursions as "starting at $999". That's per person. For a 45-minute dive. People have reported purchasing them for a bit less on some cruises, but they definitely aren't included.

10 hours ago, Shipless in Seattle said:

We are on Pursuit in Antarctica in October and November so had to take a look at this thread about the subs. I’m sure they are quite safe BUT I am also sure if I was on board I’d be thinking about the Titan the whole time and wouldn’t be able to get the thought out of my mind. 😳.  It’s like that old line about skydiving….why leave a perfectly good airplane (or cruise ship)!  We will be skipping the subs even if included. I do scuba dive which is riskier I’m guessing but you go with your comfort level. 

cheers Kent

We just did it on the Venture. Brief write up here:

Safety was clearly top of mind. I'm also a diver and while the visibility was not what you get on a great dive, there's something very fun about getting to 400+ feet deep! 

8 minutes ago, markandjie said:

We just did it on the Venture. Brief write up here:

Safety was clearly top of mind. I'm also a diver and while the visibility was not what you get on a great dive, there's something very fun about getting to 400+ feet deep! 

You might be the first passenger I heard of who was happy to dish 1k to see pretty much nothing but for the experience itself. Most passengers on my ship were extremely disappointed. I guess you went there with the right mindset 

3 hours ago, Khareef said:

You might be the first passenger I heard of who was happy to dish 1k to see pretty much nothing but for the experience itself. Most passengers on my ship were extremely disappointed. I guess you went there with the right mindset 

I had two teenagers with me. They were giddy to be in a freaking submarine. It's contagious. 😉

• Like 1