Vancouver disembarkation with same day flight - our experience

Raja2005

We disembarked the Crown Princess June 23 and had a 11:30 am domestic flight back home to Edmonton, Alberta. There was one other ship disembarking that morning. I'll admit I was nervous if this was doable to catch this flight but my optimistic husband said we would be fine😀 . I'm pleased to confirm everything went smoothly! Here's what we did:

• We chose the walk-off option. We were given "Group C" which meant meet at the Explorer's Lounge at 8:05. There were two groups ahead of us with meeting times of 7:45 and 7:55. However when we arrived at 7:50, there was just one general line and no one was asking which group you were in, so we just joined the line. Line started moving just before 8 am.
  • Canadian Customs was quick - line kept moving and we handed in our declaration card and by 8:09 we were outside, street level in from on Canada Place Terminal.
  • Walked to Waterfront Station, bought our tickets (note: tickets were noticeable cheaper on the return leg since the Vancouver airport adds a tax on the tickets when travelling from YVR to Waterfront (so we were told by a staff member in the station helping out). Skytrain is the way to go in terms of ease of use and cheaper than a taxi if you are ok with managing your own luggage (we had one suitcase and one carryon).
  • We were at the airport, checked in, luggage dropped off and in the departure lounge by 9:10 am. Our flight didn't board until 10:50 am. I had even pre-booked our security spot for 9:45 am which we didn't need to use as we got there much earlier than I expected. Security line took about 10-15 minutes.

Just wanted to share as I know this topic comes up now and again. I can't speak for how smoothly this would go if you were returning to the US or flying international.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 4:43 PM, Froufie said:

How far/easy a walk was it from the cruise terminal to the waterfront station to get the Canada Line to YVR?  Was it busy?  Crowded?

How much luggage did you have?  🙂

Easy walk - maybe 5-10 min, all flat ground. Not overly busy and lots of people were coming and going to Canada Place with their luggage! We had one suitcase and one carry on - very manageable. I would definitely do it again!

• Like 2

I did this for a noon flight departing for the US back in May.  Walked off Royals Quantum with my stuff and did what the OP did.  Was at YVR in plenty of time for my flight.  I had one suitcase and a carry-on and nowhere seemed especially busy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, Raja2005 said:

We disembarked the Crown Princess June 23 and had a 11:30 am domestic flight back home to Edmonton, Alberta. There was one other ship disembarking that morning. I'll admit I was nervous if this was doable to catch this flight but my optimistic husband said we would be fine😀 . I'm pleased to confirm everything went smoothly! Here's what we did:

• We chose the walk-off option. We were given "Group C" which meant meet at the Explorer's Lounge at 8:05. There were two groups ahead of us with meeting times of 7:45 and 7:55. However when we arrived at 7:50, there was just one general line and no one was asking which group you were in, so we just joined the line. Line started moving just before 8 am.
  • Canadian Customs was quick - line kept moving and we handed in our declaration card and by 8:09 we were outside, street level in from on Canada Place Terminal.
  • Walked to Waterfront Station, bought our tickets (note: tickets were noticeable cheaper on the return leg since the Vancouver airport adds a tax on the tickets when travelling from YVR to Waterfront (so we were told by a staff member in the station helping out). Skytrain is the way to go in terms of ease of use and cheaper than a taxi if you are ok with managing your own luggage (we had one suitcase and one carryon).
  • We were at the airport, checked in, luggage dropped off and in the departure lounge by 9:10 am. Our flight didn't board until 10:50 am. I had even pre-booked our security spot for 9:45 am which we didn't need to use as we got there much earlier than I expected. Security line took about 10-15 minutes.

Just wanted to share as I know this topic comes up now and again. I can't speak for how smoothly this would go if you were returning to the US or flying international.

ty good to know i also am Canadian and will be taking a flight back home to ontario. I have nexus so hoping it will be as easy as yours was

Next May we will disembark in Vancouver after a b2b Alaskan cruise.  We will be flying to Birmingham, Alabama with the flight leaving Vancouver at 10:25pm.  What does one do at the Vancouver airport for almost 10 hours.  The reviews for the ship's disembark tours  aren't that good.  Any suggestions on private tours with luggage??

12 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Next May we will disembark in Vancouver after a b2b Alaskan cruise.  We will be flying to Birmingham, Alabama with the flight leaving Vancouver at 10:25pm.  What does one do at the Vancouver airport for almost 10 hours.  The reviews for the ship's disembark tours  aren't that good.  Any suggestions on private tours with luggage??

YVR may be the bestest reviewed airport on the continent over the last decade, but more than 2 hours idling time is still a stretch... if money is no object, Tours By Locals started here and we have many local guides. Finding one with a private car or van to trundle you and your stuff around all day just comes down to how much money you want to throw at the situation!

If budget is at all a concern, personally I'd keep it simple - unless you've visited us before and are thoroughly familiar with all the popular sights, then storing bags for the day and arranging your own tour(s) is not just the cheapest but probably the best option. Pan Pacific hotel bell staff hold bags for non-residents, and it's literally right above the pier as well as very close to Waterfront Station for heading out to YVR at the end of the day (they'll also call you a cab if you're not able to carry your own bags or dislike transit). The HOHO isn;t as good as it was when there were 2+ companies competing, but once you divest yourself of suitcases it's still much better value than any fixed tour - cheaper, more stops, and of course the ability to get off and back on when you choose instead of being stuck for ages somewhere you don't want to spend time/not enough time somewhere you do want to see. But a Day Pass on transit (well under US$9pp, even less fro kids and seniors) plus a decent guide book probably gives you more accurate info than random tourbus drivers! Free walking tours and cheap bike rentals further expand your 'get some info from a local' options too.

Even some out-of-town attractions, like the inexplicably-popular Capilano Bridge, provide free or discounted shuttles (you can go all the way to Whistler, or stop partway in Squamish, to do various 'go up a mountain or down a mine' sites by shuttle bus) but even without leaving Vancouver's local transit system you can visit far more tourist sites than every Alaska port combined, so really unless you plan a week or more here it always comes down to good research - prioritizing the best things for YOU instead of what everyone else says you have to do...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Well the cruise terminal is in downtown Vancouver.  As you walk about of the terminal your in the middle of the city.   Lots of museums, galleries, shops, restaurants, attractions and nature. 

Just located above the cruise ship terminal is the Pan Pacific Hotel. I have never done it but many have reporting being able to leave their bags there with a bell hop and for a modest tip they will look after them until your ready to go to the airport.

If your taking skytrain (subway system in Vancouver), you can get off at Templeton Station and there is a large outlet mall.  There are free lockers where you can leave your bags near customer service counter.   

Skytrain is free between stations on Sea Island, that includes YVR Airport Station and Templeton Station. About $3-55/adult from downtown to the airport depending on time of day.  Or $11.25 for all day.

There are some flights going out of Vancouver around 10 om to 2 am. Some of the redeyes back east and a few flights to Asia.  However it is generally not very busy at that time.

Edited by em-sk