Sailor Services changed the # of people in my party to help me with getting dining reservations but I didn't know until later

CatchaWave42

when I checked my app.  Hello. I was getting help from Sailor Services for a Scarlet Lady sailing, and the gentlemen helping me was able to gain access to better times for me. However, he entered my correct party of 2 as party of  3, 4 and 5 people to do this for 3 nights of my 4 night sailing. He did not tell me this when he was helping me. I only saw it later upon checking my reservations.

I am concerned that I will be turned away when checking in.

Also, I feel badly to take a reservation from a party of 5 that might want it, etc. etc. 

How fluid and flexible are reservations? I did not ask for the manipulation to be done, and now I feel like I will be SOL with reservations period if I try to change on the APP. It keeps glitching and won't let me change anything. 

Can you please offer input as to what checkin is like, and how to remedy this? 

Thanks in advance.  

When you're on-board, talk to one of the dining venue hosts/hostesses in the late afternoon before the dinner rush. They can change everything on their laptop for you. The most obvious host will be at a podium at the top of the stairs @ The Wake.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Thanks 1

As above, they can change this for you upon boarding.  Even if that poses a problem, it won't be an issue when you arrive at the restaurant.  If they see 5 and ask where the others are, just say that it will be only the two of you that evening.  They will find a seat for you.  Promise, it won't be an issue.  I can't begin to tell you how many changes we made on my last cruise--no problem ever.  The biggest "problem" was when we ran into some people we'd met earlier and asked if we could be seated together as we had reservations within 15 minutes of each other.  THe response--"Give me just a minute."  He returned probably 30 seconds later with a table number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 6:35 PM, CineGraphic said:

When you're on-board, talk to one of the dining venue hosts/hostesses in the late afternoon before the dinner rush. They can change everything on their laptop for you. The most obvious host will be at a podium at the top of the stairs @ The Wake.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:20 PM, cantgetin said:

As above, they can change this for you upon boarding.  Even if that poses a problem, it won't be an issue when you arrive at the restaurant.  If they see 5 and ask where the others are, just say that it will be only the two of you that evening.  They will find a seat for you.  Promise, it won't be an issue.  I can't begin to tell you how many changes we made on my last cruise--no problem ever.  The biggest "problem" was when we ran into some people we'd met earlier and asked if we could be seated together as we had reservations within 15 minutes of each other.  THe response--"Give me just a minute."  He returned probably 30 seconds later with a table number.

I'm intrigued by this.  I had the exact opposite happen on my cruise earlier this year.  Long story, but due to the app issues everyone faces I ended up with really bad reservation times.  Every time I went to a restaurant to see if they could do anything the answer was "sorry, we are totally full tonight until 945pm."  Maybe because I was solo?  The only time they were able to accommodate me was at the bar (which was totally fine with me) at Extra Virgin.  But hopefully it's true---I'm terrified of missing out again on my upcoming cruise and really stressing about making reservations when they open because of all the app issues. 

18 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

I'm intrigued by this.  I had the exact opposite happen on my cruise earlier this year.  Long story, but due to the app issues everyone faces I ended up with really bad reservation times.  Every time I went to a restaurant to see if they could do anything the answer was "sorry, we are totally full tonight until 945pm."  Maybe because I was solo?  The only time they were able to accommodate me was at the bar (which was totally fine with me) at Extra Virgin.  But hopefully it's true---I'm terrified of missing out again on my upcoming cruise and really stressing about making reservations when they open because of all the app issues. 

Wow, that's different than our experience.  First, on embarkation day you can go to Razzle Dazzle for help with changing/making dinner reservations,  They will have several people there assisting sailors.  Sailor services would not help with dining stuff; they said we had to go to one of the restaurants.  We also often went to a restaurant at 6 to see if we could move our time-- not that we had a 6pm time, but we thought that going early would be a smart move.

Your TA can make all your dining reservations for you--let them know in advance what you want,  If they won't, find a new TA.  Also, you can call shoreside sailor services and they can make reservations for you, but for them you need to wait till 8 am New York time on the day res open.

I've NEVER gotten all my res thru the app.  My most recent experience was a few nights ago where I got 3 nights booked with 4 crashes and then 27 crashes with nothing accomplished.  Quick message to TA, and all was done.

3 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Wow, that's different than our experience.  First, on embarkation day you can go to Razzle Dazzle for help with changing/making dinner reservations,  They will have several people there assisting sailors.  Sailor services would not help with dining stuff; they said we had to go to one of the restaurants.  We also often went to a restaurant at 6 to see if we could move our time-- not that we had a 6pm time, but we thought that going early would be a smart move.

Your TA can make all your dining reservations for you--let them know in advance what you want,  If they won't, find a new TA.  Also, you can call shoreside sailor services and they can make reservations for you, but for them you need to wait till 8 am New York time on the day res open.

I've NEVER gotten all my res thru the app.  My most recent experience was a few nights ago where I got 3 nights booked with 4 crashes and then 27 crashes with nothing accomplished.  Quick message to TA, and all was done.

This is all great info, thank you so much!  Unfortunately last cruise was a debacle with a late boarding time, app not working, waiting in line at sailor services...I missed out on A LOT because of that ordeal and I think I'm traumatized from it...haha.  

I will have to try calling.  I don't have a TA, have never used one.  I'm admittedly a control freak and prefer to do everything on my own.  Seems like pretty much everyone on here recommends it, but truthfully I don't really understand how they work or really how to find someone that's good.  I guess that will be my next project!

thank you again!

On 9/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, Hydro ergo said:

I will have to try calling.  I don't have a TA, have never used one.  I'm admittedly a control freak and prefer to do everything on my own.  Seems like pretty much everyone on here recommends it, but truthfully I don't really understand how they work or really how to find someone that's good.  I guess that will be my next project!

thank you again!

You are welcome.  I'll add a little about TAs.  I AM NOT one and do not work in the travel industry in any way.  I have worked with several agents thru the years as well as doing my own bookings.

My reasons for booking thru a TA for VV include things like long waits to take to Sailor Services and the possibility of getting someone who hasn't a clue what they are doing when you do get an answer--let the TA wait on hold for you...and they might get to talk to better trained agents.  Many agents are able to get you perks in the form of extra loot or bar tabs.  This happens particularly when they have recently sponsored a zoom event with VV--the perks are actually coming from VV but are only available to people who book thru that agent for a limited time after the program.  There are also agents who give a portion of their commission as loot or another perk to their clients.  An agent who knows the product. an give you all sorts of info and tips on how things work or how to make your life easier.  They have a separate portal where they can manage your stuff; for instance, I recently had the app crash 27 times while trying to book dinners.  I sent the info on what I wanted to my agent who booked then for me that night rather than waiting for Sailor Services to open at 8am.   My agent has an app where whe loads ALL my info--flights and hotels I have booked, etc. so that I have one place that has all the info for my cruise.  Yes, I already had it elsewhere, but this allowed me one place to click for everything I'd need.

What to look for in VV is a "gold" agent.  That's their top tier in training, etc.  I also want someon who has used. a product recently, and if I can find someone who has been ranked as top 100 in the US or top 10 in their region, that's great.

Thanks @cantgetin that all makes a lot of sense. I typically book cruises through a "membership retailer" and they are phenomenal to work with (and give many perks like you mentioned) but alas they don't have Virgin. I think part of the problem for me is that I don't even know where to start looking for someone and don't have the time and energy to devote to finding someone good while dealing with (and paying for) the likely less than stellar service I would get until I've built a relationship with someone. But I guess you have to start somewhere...

I think I'm mostly just frustrated because of the way the system works with Virgin. Cruises are supposed to be relaxing, not hours in line and on the phone. Sorry, just a whiny tangent there!! I really do appreciate your tips and I will file those away to start seeing what's out there. 

The reason your membership retailer can't book Virgin is that VV requires every agent to take their training, at least on the entry level.  THey don't accept one agent at a location or...each agent at your retailer would have to do the training.  Gotta run...will give a better answer later,

• Like 1