Taxi tour before (or after?) Nachi Cocom

colmenares3

For our Cozumel port call in November, we're planning on going to Nachi Cocom. Two of the three of us have visited Cozumel before, but the third would like to see a little of the island. Would it be worth it to arrange for a driving tour of the island? If so, where would you suggest we go? I'm sure that the local drivers would have suggestions, too.

1 hour ago, colmenares3 said:

For our Cozumel port call in November, we're planning on going to Nachi Cocom. Two of the three of us have visited Cozumel before, but the third would like to see a little of the island. Would it be worth it to arrange for a driving tour of the island? If so, where would you suggest we go? I'm sure that the local drivers would have suggestions, too.

I am a big fan of driving round the island (providing it isn’t sargassum season) but I am not sure I would do it after paying for an AI like Nachi, if I was only in port for a day. 

A lot would depend on your port hours, which pier you are docked at and your friends interests?

A tour round the island would be 2 hour minimum and again that would depend on your pier and traffic. I am not sure just driving round does the island justice and your friend would probably not be impressed. Probably best to focus on one or two things depending in their interests. Have you been round the island? Do you have any insight into what is available?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 12:50 PM, c-leg5 said:

A tour round the island would be 2 hour minimum and again that would depend on your pier and traffic. I am not sure just driving round does the island justice and your friend would probably not be impressed. Probably best to focus on one or two things depending in their interests. Have you been round the island? Do you have any insight into what is available?

We'll be on Royal Caribbean, if that tells you anything about where we'll dock. I think you're right, a two hour tour would cut too much into our AI time. But maybe a stop or two? I really don't have ideas. Thoughts?

42 minutes ago, colmenares3 said:

We'll be on Royal Caribbean, if that tells you anything about where we'll dock. I think you're right, a two hour tour would cut too much into our AI time. But maybe a stop or two? I really don't have ideas. Thoughts?

Unless a small, old ship you will dock at International, south of town next to Puerta Maya (Carnival port). 

It would depend on what your friend wanted to see. 

I would look at a map of Cozumel on Google maps, you can do a virtual tour.

Some suggestions:

If they are into nature/ photography maybe trip down to Rasta’s for quick look at the “wild” side then turn round to return. (Not recommended if it is sargassum season)

History/Mayan old village/church at El Cedral.

Mayan chocolate factory at Mayan Cacao, next to Playa Mia.

You could get the taxi to tour the town of San Miguel to get a feel of local neighborhoods, rich and poor but it is past your port area and the road would be busy when you are returning to port so allow time. Several monuments along sea front, old and new churches, wall murals all over town, excellent restaurants, bars and coffee shops. The back streets of San Miguel and mercado are not picturesque but interesting if if you want to see different communities. You would probably need to negotiate rate for 1-2 hours for the taxi to take you around. (Check the current rate on the board posted at the port before you leave so you will have a feel for a good rate.)

If you just want local shopping, without a tour, get the taxi to drop you off opposite Puerta Maya at “new” flea market, or opposite International at more upmarket Royal Village and walk back to port, although it is all much the same as the stuff for sale in the port area.

There are lots of things to see and do on Cozumel but best with a dedicated driver for the day to have flexibility to stop and start. Hopefully you will all return and give it a try another time. For an all adult group, Cozumel Bar Hop is an excellent circular sampler tour of the island, especially the wild east side.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:43 PM, c-leg5 said:

For an all adult group, Cozumel Bar Hop is an excellent circular sampler tour of the island, especially the wild east side.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm going to run them by our group. And yes, we definitely need to return and stay - a port call is never long enough! 

Curious about Cozumel Bar Hop. I looked at their facebook page. Is this a party bus situation? We're open to a couple cocktails, but as 50-somethings, not really into a big younger drinking scene.

I believe you would enjoy the bar hop, it is indeed a great look at the island. 

It is not really a party bus, I suppose if you had a bus full of one rowdy group it could deteriorate, but generally, just fun, maybe a few get tipsy. Host Coleen just wants everybody to have fun. They make a big deal out of returning guests, that tells you something. Many go over and over. 

The included shots at each stop are just that, tiny shots of a mixed concoction. tasty, but hardly the stuff of a party bus atmosphere. 

I don't think anyone could get a buzz off just what is provided. Extra drinks, and lunch,  are of course your responsibility. 

There is (or used to be) an imposter company, make sure you book the authentic one. 

https://cozumelbarhop.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I believe you would enjoy the bar hop, it is indeed a great look at the island. 

It is not really a party bus, I suppose if you had a bus full of one rowdy group it could deteriorate, but generally, just fun, maybe a few get tipsy. Host Coleen just wants everybody to have fun. They make a big deal out of returning guests, that tells you something. Many go over and over. 

The included shots at each stop are just that, tiny shots of a mixed concoction. tasty, but hardly the stuff of a party bus atmosphere. 

I don't think anyone could get a buzz off just what is provided. Extra drinks, and lunch,  are of course your responsibility. 

There is (or used to be) an imposter company, make sure you book the authentic one. 

https://cozumelbarhop.com/

+1

The excursion has been running for many years (15+?) and is well run and executed. We have been several times with Colleen and other hosts. As stated it is not inherently a party bus but is always dependent on the group on the bus on any given day. You meet at a central location in town but are dropped off back at individual piers after the tour.

You can be as independent or sociable as you desire at each stop and no coercion. I have always felt it is not particularly well-named - people expecting a party bus are disappointed and others are put off trying it. In my experience it often attracts an older crowd, or often parents with adult children.

It is a fun introduction to Cozumel beyond the normal beach clubs. There is no (little) electricity on east side so cash-only, and unreliable credit card and cell phone use. Whilst the bars on the east side are rural and individual they do still command tourist prices and you can usually find examples of the menus online or on blogs. A couple of bars you can cool off in the ocean but swimming not generally recommended due to currents and undertow. 

• Like 1