We Don't Really Want to Go To Rome

I am travelling on a cruise from New York to Venice with stops in Portugal, Spain, France and Italy. It is a fairly port intensive cruise, and we just aren't interested in ruins and churches. We have been to Rome before, and saw the Vatican and were duly impressed of course. But I just don't feel like spending another $300 bucks on a day that just doesn't excite me.

Besides ruins and churches, is there some reason we should absolutely consider driving in and out from Citavecchia? I am really tempted to just relax on the ship, and maybe explore a little of the surrounding area.

I know this sounds like we are culturally void, but I would rather be true to ourselves than go just to be able to say we went.

If we shouldn't waste a day lazing on the ship, are there any other excursions besides Rome that are worth considering?

Thanks for your gentle responses. :-)

Thankfully unkown to most. This is genuinely very much worthwhile. Think of Pompeii, but because it was covered in sand rather than lava is better preserved, and as it's relatively unkown - no crowds.. You'll walk down streets and be able to walk up a couple of flights of stairs and look at a 3rd story Roman's appartment. You'll be able to see his local cafe.

My best tip is do a bit of research on the net, and go. Get there as early as possible and walk right to the far end of the site and walk towards the people enterig the site. So get a map and wlk to the Synagogue and then turn round and walk slowly back.

Ask if you have questions. Starting points.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=ostia%20antica&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.initaly.com/regions/latium/ostia.htm

http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/lazio/ostiaantica

Jeff

Of course "lazing on the ship" is not "waste a day" if this it what you prefer. Also the port city itself is nice enough for a small walk and a look at the local sights (yet these include churches and ruins.)

But don't be misguided about Rome: Is it just churches and ruins you do not like? Or any sight of cultural importance?

How about museums, art galleries, palaces? There are many sights in Rome to be seen besides churches and ruins. Or how about just strolling around, maybe through Trastevere, the former poor but picturesque part of Rome?

Anyway you do not need to spent $300, the train is just about $10 round trip.

Other option are probably more expensive as you will need a rental car or a driver. There are lovely small village in the hills all around rome. These are a great chance to see more rural Italian life and taste some local cuisine and wine.

If you have been to Rome before and want to skip seeing it again, then I would suggest that you just consider staying on the ship. You can also walk around the port for a couple of hours.

Last fall we took a back to back Mediterranean Cruise. The first segment began in Rome so we stayed in Rome a few days prior to embarkation. The second segment had a one day stop in Civitavecchia. Since we had already spent time in Rome we just stayed around the ship that day and also walked around town. With most people sightseeing in Rome it made for a quiet day there.

Keith

I read a mega-review on cruise reviews and the reviewer said he felt that Citavecchia was one of the hidden treasure sof the itinerary. Like yourself, he had been to Rome and had no felt need to go back. He said it was a great little town and they had tons of fun.

We thought Civitavecchia looked like a wonderful city. There were lots of stores and restaurants, as well as a nice beach. We had hired a driver (Stefano) to take us into Rome, but we saw some of Civitavecchia as we drove through. I wouldn't hesitate to stick around the ship and/or the port, especially if you've been to Rome before.

Linda

Has anyone taken the boat ride on the Tiber from Rome to Ostia Antica? Is there boat transportation that does not include a tour? It sounds like a wonderful place to go.

We took the regional train for 2 euros per person each way you take the subway to the regional train and walk about 200 yeards and you are in Ostia Antica...its an adventure and very easy(about like riding the NY subway in the '80's)...Get Rick Steve's book it tells you exactly how to do this and you can do it from the Cruise Ship area too....

Glad Ostia Antica is being considered.

The secret really is to get there early and have the city to yourself. I've always been puzzled as to why people will travel around the world to see Pompeii but have never heard of Ostia which is an experience where you can definately soak in "atmospheres" which is precluded by shere visitor numbers at Pompeii.

Follow the famous words of Gladiator. "Meet me at Ostia"!

Thank you for all your excellent suggestions. After reading everything, I think I am inclined to enjoy Citavecchia! I didn't realize it is a pleasant area, and that will be just enough for us!

Thanks again. :)

Along the coast there are several lovely towns for a quick stop. Beware of leaving a car full of luggage in full view no matter where you stop.

If you leave out Cerveteri ( Unesco world site for its Etruscan necropolis) and Tarquinia (even more impt. for its painted tombs, towers) you could make a quick stop at

- S. Marinella and /or S. Severa if you like castles and seaside villas;

-Tolfa up on its mountain top if you like hilltop views and cattle and horses grazing in the wild, winding streets, and a lunch of game such as wild boar.

A much better way to see the area is to go inland towards Viterbo and the Renaissance towns with castles, gardens, medieval villages and festivals that have been going on for hundreds of years -not put on for the tourists-there arent very many here, just a few lucky expats who enjoy a great lifestyle you can read about on ***** .

Mary Jane

Archived