Classic Drink Package vs. Premium Drink Package. Anyone done both?

Stockjock

On our last sailing, we did the premium drink package.  I noted that they were often out of many of the better quality wines I wanted (and would pay extra for).  I also noticed that they substituted cheap Prosecco for the Champagne I had paid for (it was a NYE cruise).  So I didn't feel that we fully got our money's worth, although I didn't complain about it (maybe I should have?).

So this time, I think we'll take advantage of the 50% discount and do the more basic Classic Drink Package.  But I'm curious if anyone has done both, or perhaps just Classic?  Was Classic "good enough", or did you really miss the more premium options?  Are classic level wines acceptable?

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

We've done both. On our last cruise, we had Classic and I just paid the upcharge for anything that wasn't on the classic menus. I spent about $40 - mostly on wine. It's a pretty common solution.

I'm not especially picky about wines but I don't drink Chardonnay unless it's French or steel-casked so that means I either pay for a premium selection or drink Pinot Grigio. When I selected PG, I didn't send anything back.  I'll say that the Old Fashioneds made with the Classic selection were disappointing because of whatever they substituted for a premium selection.

You can upgrade part way through your sailing so perhaps you could see how you like Classic and calculate how much you'll spend on occasional upgrades (as I did), or upgrading your whole package? Wine choices vary depending on the cruise so maybe wait until you're on board?

• Like 1

I’ve done both. The last time I had just the classic was on the Edge inaugural cruise. It was a 7 day cruise so after a couple of days I was resigned to poor beer choices. Wine was acceptable too but for longer cruises we always have the premium package. It comes off my OBC so no physical payment to concern myself with. I also prefer not to be bothered about paying extra for premium beers and wines.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1