Temperatures on Queen Mary 2 Southampton - New York in July

Frank183

1 minute ago, techteach said:

@Frank183 It’s unclear where you are going to/from. If you have luggage do not use public transit, especially during rush hours. That leaves a taxi, private car, or Uber. I was forced to learn to use Uber last week while in NYC, and it was doable and cost the same as a taxi. For transport from our hotel to the port I splurge for a private car so I can be sure it will hold all of our luggage. There is a water taxi, but I don’t know if it would be better than the other options. I hope this is the information you need. 

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I figured that public transport with 2 big suitcases would be a pain in the neck.
Are there taxis waiting outside the terminal? Or would it be advisable to make a reservation in advance?

As I've mentioned previously, the local taxi company is Arecibo. They're also the cheapest.

Walk away from the terminal, check your location which is marked on the fencing, then call them and tell them where you are.

They'll give you a set price for the journey.

@Frank183 There are taxis available when you disembark. However, there can be quite a line of folks waiting for them. The time you disembark and how much of a hurry you are in should be part of your decision. Last week we were first off at 8:00 and there was a line for taxis but it dissipated quickly. Lots of Ubers being called as well.

10 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

I know there are also nice areas and nice people but I assume you get the stereotype... 😉

Not with Mallorca, which, aside from a couple of resorts, is generally looked on as rather an elegant destination, much favoured by Germans and Spaniards (and Robert Graves) rather than cheap and cheerful British. Daytime wear, even on Cunard, is a matter of preference, and I can’t say I have ever noticed much correlation between it and conversational preferences. I repeat, have you ever been there?

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Not with Mallorca, which, aside from a couple of resorts, is generally looked on as rather an elegant destination, much favoured by Germans and Spaniards (and Robert Graves) rather than cheap and cheerful British. Daytime wear, even on Cunard, is a matter of preference, and I can’t say I have ever noticed much correlation between it and conversational preferences. I repeat, have you ever been there?

Yes, I have been there, several times. Sa Coma and Alcudia mostly. Always had a good time there. The people on the airplane going there and back from Germany were a different story though...

But the whole point there is that I hope to connect to some decent people there. But we will see.

Uber works very well in NYC. Download the Uber App. No cash changes hands  
Also, maybe the hotel can arrange car service to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for you as another option. Nothing is inexpensive in NYC. 
Hailing a cab outside the hotel would be the least attractive option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Frank183 There are taxis available when you disembark. However, there can be quite a line of folks waiting for them. The time you disembark and how much of a hurry you are in should be part of your decision. Last week we were first off at 8:00 and there was a line for taxis but it dissipated quickly. Lots of Ubers being called as well.

We won't be in a hurry, hotel won't be ready to check in before 3pm, but maybe I will see to make a reservation. Is the disembarking time of 8am fixed or could it vary?

34 minutes ago, techteach said:

Disembarkation times vary. You won’t know until a couple of days before disembarking. There are lots of threads that provide details.

Ok, then I will probably just stand in line for a taxi when we get there. This is a "slow travel" trip for us, no problem. Does anybody know how much we are looking at for the ride to mid Manhattan? I know, everything is expensive in NYC, but it would be good to know, just in case someone tries to rip us off.

1 hour ago, Frank183 said:

Ok, then I will probably just stand in line for a taxi when we get there. This is a "slow travel" trip for us, no problem. Does anybody know how much we are looking at for the ride to mid Manhattan? I know, everything is expensive in NYC, but it would be good to know, just in case someone tries to rip us off.

Being in NYC everyday (I’m here now), no cab or Uber is going to rip you off, they won’t take you on a five borough tour to Jack up the bill. 
Note The challenges to each:

Uber - is priced via supply vs demand so pricing can literally change by the hour. 
Cab - Starts with a flat rate just to get in then the meter runs. If there’s little traffic to to get to the hotel, good for you. If there’s a ton of traffic, you’re stuck with a big bill. 
Each service will charge you for any potential tolls, a tunnel connection. 

Several NYC based CC posters (including me) have suggested to get a hotel in downtown Brooklyn and use that as your base to explore NYC. You’ll save cab/Uber fares on a quick ride from QM2 to downtown Brooklyn and use the subway for two stops and you’re in Manhattan. 
My Uber experiences have generally been good around here. 

Edited by NE John
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I am back and it was just plain phantastic. I think without doing it yourself you just can't imagine.
We had pretty rough weather throughout most of the trip, the top deck was closed due to high winds most of the times. But I was fine with this as I really wanted to experience the Atlantic ocean with all its power. Sadly, we had a medical evacuation by helicopter south of Gander, I hope the person is allright.

So, here I pasted some video clips together, not the greatest quality and I am by far not a video artist, but you still might like it:

Thank you all so much for all your support and patience answering all my questions upfront!!!

Best regards
Frank

• Like 6