The steps it takes, on the ship

melodyina

Hello from the Caribbean Princess!  First i am not a walker… but, on the ship you walk!  Granted i have an arthritic knee but with the heat and humidity and advil / tylenol i was ok.  Heres my step journey on ship in one day.  

IMG_3763.png

Excellent, @melodyina.

I am a walker and get a kick checking the Health App on my iPhone.  On our last Hawaii cruise, the reports on the miles and number of steps seemed consistent with the number of hours that walked.  The funny thing was the report on "Flights."  At the beginning of the cruise it would regularly report that I climbed 20-25 flights per day.  That also seemed reasonable.  I tend to use the stairs.  Towards the end of the cruise, however, my "performance" jumped noticeably.  There were a couple days when Mr. Apple reported that I'd climbed over 100 flights.

WOW!  I am the man.

NOT.

I have to assume that, somehow, the satellites became confused while we were in the middle of the Pacific.  On the other hand, the steps and miles seemed OK.

Go figure.

• Thanks 1

I don't walk much. Standing for 10 minutes in a row can sometimes be too darn painful. On our last cruise I used a cane and was unable to walk from one end of the ship to the other without at least one stop (and often two) to get the pain under control even though I have some fairly heavy pain pill (in addition to regular old 800 mg Ibuprofen). Since then I have had both SI joints fused which has helped considerably. I have also lost 30 lbs since the beginning of the year and intend to have epidural injections in my back (for the umpteenth time) hopefully no more than a month before we sail.

I simply did too many body destroying jobs before finally being forced to quit working and go back to school in my 40's. Of course, after that, I got a job doing far less work for far more remuneration than ever before. D'Oh! However, after having both elbows repaired, both shoulders repaired, having a fusion in my spine at C6-7, getting both SI joints fused, and a couple other surgeries,  I'm "doing better"! I refuse to let life stop us from multi-week camping trips (in our "giant" teardrop trailer) or stop us from cruising. Nope, nope, nope. When store clerks ask, "How are you today?" I tend to smile and reply, "Fabulous! How about you?" Whining and complaining does no good so one might as well suck it up, smile, pretend all is well and get on with life. As for step monitoring... I don't do a lot of walking at home but, on cruises ships, one definitely has to do a lot of walking. If I had a device that monitored my steps I'm sure I would be amazed at the number of steps I get in on a ship.

• Like 4