Port canaveral(WOS) compared to Port Everglades or Miami

We've never departed from Port Canaveral.  In doing research for our Wonder cruise, it seems to me that getting on the ship early happens alot.  I'm reading watching people on the ship as early as 10:30 and alot before 11.  We get on the ship as soon as we can to start our vacation, but at everglades or miami, the earliest we've ever been on a ship is11:15, and a few times after 12(not a lot of cruises, once a year for the last 8 years).

So is Port Everglades that much more efficient or that less crowded with ships that I should expect to be on the ship early?  If I get a 10:30am boarding time, should I plan on getting to the port at 9:45?  10am?  Like I said, we want to get on the ship as early as we can and start our vacation(without paying a suite or key price :-))

Thanks

Dan

2 minutes ago, danoconnl said:

If I get a 10:30am boarding time, should I plan on getting to the port at 9:45?  10am?  Like I said, we want to get on the ship as early as we can and start our vacation(without paying a suite or key price

We pretty much only sail from PC and also enjoy being among the first onboard. Getting there at 9:45am is a good time to shoot for especially if you're driving and parking in the garage. We were on the Wonder June 4th sailing and boarding was underway by the time we got up to the boarding level of the terminal around 10:15am. I've also read other reports of boarding beginning prior to 10:30am.

This doesn't mean boarding will always start that early. I hadn't seen it THAT early before last month but it has always gone smoothly (suite or not) and pretty much always before 11:00am for my post-covid cruises.

I've never sailed from Port Everglades, but I've sailed from both Port Canaveral and Miami within the last year.  Comments on each: 

- Yes, many people in both locations arrive as early as possible, and for the same reason you mentioned:  Everyone wants to start his or her vacation as early as possible.  

- Assuming you're driving, which is what we do, we recommend that you arrive one hour before your time slot.  This gives you ample time to get into the parking deck, secure your car, give your suitcases to the porters, and join the line -- you won't be first in line, but you won't have a whole lot of time to wait your turn.

- Our experience in Port Canaveral:  We had a 10:30 time slot (regular room, no Key, no suite), and we arrived about 9:30, parked, turned in our suitcase, but no line existed yet.  About 10:15 an employee came out with instructions.  Everyone stood in one big line, but that employee did check boarding passes as we entered the terminal /sent people with later times over to one side.  The line was in the shade under the parking deck.  Moving through the terminal was quick and easy, and we sat down to wait -- the terminal is large with ample seating.  We boarded the ship shortly before 11:00.  

- Our experience in Miami:  We had a 10:30 time slot (regular room, no Key, no suite), and we arrived too early about 9:00 -- too early, but we underestimated the drive from Fort Lauderdale.  We parked, turned in our suitcase and joined the line.  The line was outside in the sun.  About 10:00 an employee brought out "rope markers" and created lines for 10:30, 11:00, etc.  They were very serious about time slots.  We were among the first admitted, and we moved through terminal quickly.  No seating.  We stood in line to wait our turn to board.  We boarded the ship exactly at 10:30.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I agree with the statements above. We cruise the Wonder about every three weeks and have gotten to know a bunch of the crew and entertainers. The one thing I will caution is that the Wonder has not had a Coast Guard Inspection since 11/22 (she got 100% by the way). The staff has been expecting a new one for a couple of months now...

She is long overdue for another and if any of us are booked on her when that happens you can figure no one gets on until 11:30 or noon...

Thanks for the responses, we're not sailing until next March but I had watched a video witch sparked the question.  We'll be uber-ing from a hotel a few miles away,  Looks like we'll plan for a 9:45/10 arrival time.

Dan