Civitavecchia Port - Private Driver Details

RaleighCruiser19

When your cruise ends in the Civitavecchia Port, I have details I could not find beforehand. I hope this helps someone else. 

Your cruise company may tell you no drivers are allowed into the port and you need to take their transfers to get to the port gate. This is not true. Our driver explained he and his vehicle have special permits to drive into the port.

The port has a multilevel fully enclosed gangway that gently ramps you down from the departure deck to the ground level and feeds you into the terminal building. We took our large wheeled suitcases down and it is very smooth going.

If you gave your tagged luggage to the cruise company the night before, you pick it up inside the terminal building. 
With your luggage, walk through the terminal to the exit, then backtrack down the sidewalk to toward the end where the gangway dropped you off to find all the private drivers standing with signs to pick up customers.

We used RomeCabs and they were wonderful.

The access for private tour drivers is a commonly mentioned here, but a good reminder.

There are several docks at Civi. Your info only applies to the main terminal. There can be as many as 6 or so ships in at Civi on a busy day.

Good point. We were the only ship that day. 

I read everything available that I could search on this site and did not find the information about how the drivers were positioned in relation to the terminal where the luggage is placed.

The ship's staff were misleading me while the driver was telling me to find him on the pier at the side of the ship. I was concerned that I would reach my driver and somehow lose access to a secure terminal with the luggage. That's why we just took our luggage with us.

Every port is different for every ship every time. So good luck everyone!

Sometimes cruise ship personnel lie but often they are just misinformed.  I've observed that they simply memorize what they've been told and then act as if what they "know" is all there is to be known.  

Consider also that when these folks do get off the ship, it's certainly not going to be into a private car service, so they'd have no frame of reference.