Rental Car - Kauai/Pride of America

Brewster

Appreciate all the great advice I've come upon here. I'm trying to plan out my itinerary for my POA cruise in 2024. I'm also seeing how difficult it is to get to and from the airport to rent a car for the day. Thinking of renting a car at AVIS in the morning (since they still have the shuttle to and from the port from what I can tell). Since the POA is docked for one night at the pier, how hard is it to drop the car off at night say 9 PM in the evening back at Avis at the Lanai airport and either getting the AVIS Shuttle (if it runs at that time) back to port where the POA resides (or obtaining a cab/Uber). Being a realist, I doubt the Lanai airport is that busy in the evening so transportation back to the ship is a concern. On one hand I am reading stories about how hard it is to get a cab. On the other hand, with the POA in town, I would think the cabs would be in this part of town (by the pier/airport). If anybody has any experience or insight (positive or negative) on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• Like 1

We just got back.  Rented a car from Budget.  They have a shuttle (shares with Avis) that picks up right at the pier however the NCL rep at the pier directed us to a cab and said Budget does not pick up at the pier.  Had we continued walking the way we were headed (past the NCL employee) we would have exited the building and seen the sign that said car rental shuttle.  Instead, he directed us to exit to the left where there were waiting cabs.  No problem getting one, but it was fairly early.  I think we were off by 8:15ish.  The cab ride was $20 to the airport.  Once at Budget they told us they run a regular shuttle and that we would be able to take it back to the ship when we returned the car.  We kept the car overnight and just parked on the street as did many many others.  It is a short walk, less than 10 minutes and my mom has knee issues and walks slow.  Had it been just myself and my daughter it would have been less than 5 minute walk.  We left super early the next day to get to a Napoli Coast boat tour about an hour away and had no issues with anything.  Returned the car after the boat tour and took the Budget/Avis shuttle back to the pier where we were dropped off right at the door that we should have exited the morning before!  Super easy!  On Maui we rented a car for the two days from Turo and they dropped it off across from the pier for us.  We parked overnight at the Maui Seaside Hotel for $26 and walked back to the ship.  It was a longer walk but flat and easy.  If you have any questions just ask while it is still fresh on my mind 🙂. I had some trouble finding information on POA planning prior to going.  

• Thanks 3

Thank you. Much appreciated for your very helpful info!! Just one question..for Kauai, is the street where you parked in a neighborhood? Just trying to get a general idea via Google Maps (I'm a huge pre-planner, can't you tell :). Also, assume the area is safe to walk back after dark (looking to take a possible excursion that would get us back around 9 pm. Thanks, again! 

On 7/11/2023 at 1:40 PM, Brewster said:

Appreciate all the great advice I've come upon here. I'm trying to plan out my itinerary for my POA cruise in 2024. I'm also seeing how difficult it is to get to and from the airport to rent a car for the day. Thinking of renting a car at AVIS in the morning (since they still have the shuttle to and from the port from what I can tell). Since the POA is docked for one night at the pier, how hard is it to drop the car off at night say 9 PM in the evening back at Avis at the Lanai airport and either getting the AVIS Shuttle (if it runs at that time) back to port where the POA resides (or obtaining a cab/Uber). Being a realist, I doubt the Lanai airport is that busy in the evening so transportation back to the ship is a concern. On one hand I am reading stories about how hard it is to get a cab. On the other hand, with the POA in town, I would think the cabs would be in this part of town (by the pier/airport). If anybody has any experience or insight (positive or negative) on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

I too am trying to consider transportation for Maui.  You mentioned dropping off the car at the "LANAI AIRPORT", I thought the POA docks at Kahului near the Kahului Airport? 

1 hour ago, ERNLYN said:

I too am trying to consider transportation for Maui.  You mentioned dropping off the car at the "LANAI AIRPORT", I thought the POA docks at Kahului near the Kahului Airport? 

You are correct.  The POA docks in Kahului on Maui.  It does not go to Lanai.

11 hours ago, Brewster said:

Thank you. Much appreciated for your very helpful info!! Just one question..for Kauai, is the street where you parked in a neighborhood? Just trying to get a general idea via Google Maps (I'm a huge pre-planner, can't you tell :). Also, assume the area is safe to walk back after dark (looking to take a possible excursion that would get us back around 9 pm. Thanks, again! 

It is just street parking located above the pier area.  If you can find the ABC store to the right of the terminal on google maps the streets leading up to the store from the port had parking.  There is also a cross street that runs in front of the ABC store that is a little closer to the pier with parking. Wasn't what I would call a neighborhood although there was a gym or some type of athletic facility right there also.  It was my mom, my 14 year old and me all female felt perfectly safe.  We came back Thursday around 6 pm but left super early Friday morning to get to our Napoli Coast boat trip (which was excellent and I would highly recommend).  We were off the ship by 6:45 am and didn't see anyone else wandering around but still felt safe.  Sorry if I was better with maps I would ad a link! It isn't marked, we were told as long as the curb isn't red or yellow you are allowed to park there.  

Just looked it up it's Nawiliwili Road.  Can park on either side of the road.  It is not as far as it looks on the map!

Edited by Tljcruiser

On 7/11/2023 at 10:57 PM, Tljcruiser said:

We just got back.  Rented a car from Budget.  They have a shuttle (shares with Avis) that picks up right at the pier however the NCL rep at the pier directed us to a cab and said Budget does not pick up at the pier.  Had we continued walking the way we were headed (past the NCL employee) we would have exited the building and seen the sign that said car rental shuttle.  Instead, he directed us to exit to the left where there were waiting cabs.  No problem getting one, but it was fairly early.  I think we were off by 8:15ish.  The cab ride was $20 to the airport.  Once at Budget they told us they run a regular shuttle and that we would be able to take it back to the ship when we returned the car.  We kept the car overnight and just parked on the street as did many many others.  It is a short walk, less than 10 minutes and my mom has knee issues and walks slow.  Had it been just myself and my daughter it would have been less than 5 minute walk.  We left super early the next day to get to a Napoli Coast boat tour about an hour away and had no issues with anything.  Returned the car after the boat tour and took the Budget/Avis shuttle back to the pier where we were dropped off right at the door that we should have exited the morning before!  Super easy!  On Maui we rented a car for the two days from Turo and they dropped it off across from the pier for us.  We parked overnight at the Maui Seaside Hotel for $26 and walked back to the ship.  It was a longer walk but flat and easy.  If you have any questions just ask while it is still fresh on my mind 🙂. I had some trouble finding information on POA planning prior to going.  

"The cab ride was $20 to the airport. " so, the cab from pier to Kahului Airport was $20.00 not $45.00?

11 minutes ago, ERNLYN said:

"The cab ride was $20 to the airport. " so, the cab from pier to Kahului Airport was $20.00 not $45.00?

If you schedule ahead of time apparently the charge is $45.  When we just got in the taxi that was at the pier when we walked off it was $20.  It is metered and a short trip.  I guess the extra $25 is for peace of mind of knowing you have transportation waiting.  

4 hours ago, ERNLYN said:

Thank you Tljcruiser for the clarification, do you think the sign that "car rental shuttle" was just for Avis and Budget?

I am not sure but I did not see any other shuttles either at the airport or the pier with a "cruise shuttle" sign.  That one is the only one I had read about prior to going, so I think it is probably the only one.  We actually rented the car through Discount Hawaii Car Rental it was a little cheaper than using Budget directly.  They had an airport shuttle and that separate cruise shuttle, they did not use the same bus. 

TlJcruiser, So sorry Iam so dense,

Brewster was referring to Lanai Airport which is on another island.  To which island or islands are you referring to regarding

The $20.00 cab ride?

The "car rental shuttle"?

The Avis/Budget shuttle?

Which island did you use Discount Hawaii Car Rental?

On 7/13/2023 at 7:16 PM, ERNLYN said:

TlJcruiser, So sorry Iam so dense,

Brewster was referring to Lanai Airport which is on another island.  To which island or islands are you referring to regarding

The $20.00 cab ride?

The "car rental shuttle"?

The Avis/Budget shuttle?

Which island did you use Discount Hawaii Car Rental?

This was on Kauai. We used Turo in Maui

On 7/11/2023 at 7:57 PM, Tljcruiser said:

We r renting at 3 ports..  you mentioned the shuttle, did you find taking a cab (rather than shuttle) beat the line ups?   Thx

We only rented at the airport in Kauai and Honolulu.  In Maui we rented through Turo and picked up across from the port via lockbox.  We got off fairly early in Kauai and there was no line at the rental agency.  There was one party in front of us when we got there. I am not sure if that was because we arrived via cab or because it was early.  We were off the ship by 8:15 If I remember correctly.  The last day we had a late flight out, well we were supposed to have a late flight out, it ended up rescheduled for Sunday morning but that is another story!  So we rented a car for the day in Honolulu.  We took an Uber from the pier to the airport and there was no line there either.  I know the lines can get bad though they had it roped off like lines at Disney World in both places.  I would say it is when large planes arrive that it gets super busy.  We had no issues. 

We did POA in 2022. Used Hertz at airport in Kauai. Took cab from pier over, shuttles weren’t running at that time, split with another couple. Returned car around 8:00 pm. No problem catching cab at airport back to pier.

On 7/11/2023 at 9:57 PM, Tljcruiser said:

I am think of using the Turo option in Maui...Can you rent the car at the Maui Seaside Hotel? I have never use their service. How did you get the keys from them?

23 hours ago, milmor said:

I am think of using the Turo option in Maui...Can you rent the car at the Maui Seaside Hotel? I have never use their service. How did you get the keys from them?

We have read that while the Maui Seaside Hotel rents overnight parking spaces they do not rent cars.  That would be between you and turo.com.  

On 7/27/2023 at 11:48 PM, milmor said:

We were able to pick up the car at the strip mall across from the pier.  It is closer than the hotel.  The owner parked the car in the lot and the keys were in a lock box on the door handle.  The communication was done through the app and text.  She sent us the code for the lock the morning we picked up the car.  It was easy.  You can download the app and search for cars.  There were many available some have delivery options some do not.  We just made sure to pick one that did.  

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 7:53 PM, Tljcruiser said:

We were able to pick up the car at the strip mall across from the pier.  It is closer than the hotel.  The owner parked the car in the lot and the keys were in a lock box on the door handle.  The communication was done through the app and text.  She sent us the code for the lock the morning we picked up the car.  It was easy.  

I just stumbled into this discussion. How does the the car get returned to Turo? I assume you would leave the key in the lock box and they would come to pick it up? Or is it not that easy?

On 12/30/2023 at 1:34 PM, schmoopie17 said:

I just stumbled into this discussion. How does the the car get returned to Turo? I assume you would leave the key in the lock box and they would come to pick it up? Or is it not that easy?

Yes the car had a lock box and we just left the key in the box at the same location as pick up.  Very easy!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2023 at 8:11 PM, Tljcruiser said:

It is just street parking located above the pier area.  If you can find the ABC store to the right of the terminal on google maps the streets leading up to the store from the port had parking.  There is also a cross street that runs in front of the ABC store that is a little closer to the pier with parking. Wasn't what I would call a neighborhood although there was a gym or some type of athletic facility right there also.  It was my mom, my 14 year old and me all female felt perfectly safe.  We came back Thursday around 6 pm but left super early Friday morning to get to our Napoli Coast boat trip (which was excellent and I would highly recommend).  We were off the ship by 6:45 am and didn't see anyone else wandering around but still felt safe.  Sorry if I was better with maps I would ad a link! It isn't marked, we were told as long as the curb isn't red or yellow you are allowed to park there.  

Just looked it up it's Nawiliwili Road.  Can park on either side of the road.  It is not as far as it looks on the map!

Found this old thread and cannot see where there is street parking that the poster mentioned. Nawiliwilli road is HWY 58 with white lines and shoulders, no parking spaces? The ABC store that was mentioned has these signs in Google streetview from 2011 that offered parking with a shuttle to ship, but that's about it. Does anyone know where there is a legit place to overnight park a rental near the pier?

PARKING.jpg