LGBTQ+ - No Partying

Cdn_Traveller

Any of the full ship charters will be this way as apparently that is what their target demographic wants.

There are many gay groups that sail as a group on regular sailings.  That won't be the party environment you want to avoid but it will be a standard sailing with families, kids, seniors, etc...      I've done these group sailings before mainly because like you, I have no interest in a 24/7 gay party atmosphere. 

Perhaps with growing numbers of aging Boomer and GenX gays, someone will realize there comes a point in life where that gay party atmosphere is no longer the attraction it was when you were twentysomething. 

There may be a TA who can comment further on your options

Edited by CrankyOldGuy
  • Like 3

Although we haven't used them yet, have you checked out BrandG Vacations. They offer exclusive LGBTQ+  land, river and some smaller cruise ship vacations. 

We've moved from the bigger party ships and have been on Viking Ocean three times and feel it fits us nicely - obviously there are mostly straight cruisers onboard but the vibe is laid back & welcoming with outstanding service and modern decor.  Each cruise we've seen / met other LGBTQ cruisers plus also made friendships with welcoming straight couples.

Here is the link to BrandG

https://www.brandgvacations.com/vacations/

Edited by WestW
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, WestW said:

Although we haven't used them yet, have you checked out BrandG Vacations. They offer exclusive LGBTQ+  land, river and some smaller cruise ship vacations. 

We've moved from the bigger party ships and have been on Viking Ocean three times and feel it fits us nicely - obviously there are mostly straight cruisers onboard but the vibe is laid back & welcoming with outstanding service and modern decor.  Each cruise we've seen / met other LGBTQ cruisers plus also made friendships with welcoming straight couples.

Here is the link to BrandG

https://www.brandgvacations.com/vacations/

We have cruised almost exclusively on Viking - both River and Ocean.  We find the crew and guests very open and welcoming.

We are not the party couple by any means, and although I understand those that want to travel and interact with other LGBTQ+, we don't care if we are the only ones on the ship.

We have made some good and lasting friendships from Viking cruises.

We generally see other gay couples on our Viking cruises as well.

I will look at BrandG as I am curious now.  I have never heard of this company.  Last time however that I brought up with my husband travelling with an LGBTQ+ tour, his question was "What advantage would that bring us?"  However, know that he is the furthest from a gay culture guy that you could possibly meet.  For him, travelling with a gay based group - even if it was just a segment of the total population of the ship - would have to have an advantage to what we were going to see, experience, eat, etc., which it probably wouldn't, therefore he would probably poopoo the idea.

Again - don't get me wrong, as I understand the desire to travel with a group of like minded individuals.  I personally have never been on a chartered gay cruise, but have had many friends that have and from what I know of them, I don't think I would go on one even if you gifted me the full trip and it was in the Butler Suite section of the ship.  Just not my thing.  I am far too old now in my body clock and am generally in bed by 9:30pm as the days are so busy and full and packed with wonder of the sights and food during the day that I am exhausted by nightfall!  Hahah.

• Like 1

Look into gay group cruises.  They range in size from 25 ppl to a few hundred depending on the group and destination.   I've done two of them (1 on RCCL, 1 on Celebrity) with a third coming up on NCL to Alaska in Sept.  Rule of thumb on these, I think, is that the more upscale the cruise line is, the less of a party you will see.  Also true for longer itineraries.  The 4-5 days cruises are all party, while most cruises over 10 days, like trans-Atlantics, I think, tend to be retired people that have the time for them.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Only been on one gay cruise; the inaugural Vacaya cruise to Ptown/Canada, a few years back.  We had been curious what it would be like because we'd heard so much about Atlantis and RSVP and it's emphasis on partying.  Admittedly was a big partier in my 20's and well into my late 30's, but that ship has sailed (pun intended).  We had heard Vacaya was intending to move away from the constant thumpa thumpa thumpa, go-go boy sort of activities we had always heard about and decided to check it out.  Discovered the cruise was just like every other cruise we had been on; the only difference was the entire passenger roster was all LGBT.  We would do it again.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 2:27 PM, RBCal said:

The gay group cruises can have partiers too.  Celebrity's ice martini bar attracts a hard drinking crowd.  I used to be one of them but have reformed.  

oh yes, the groups do have parties, but it's not as overwhelming as an all gay charter would be.  A party of 50-100 is not the same as a 3,000+ circuit party.  And I agree that the martini bar on X is the go-to spot for pre-dinner cocktails.  

Pied Piper for one has been doing group cruises for a long time, often using Celebrity and now it looks like some on MSC.  Their group sizes can range from tens to hundreds but are not full ship charters. 

I've been looking at them for a long time but we just go by ourselves:  where, when, and cruise line/ship of choice

On 7/14/2023 at 2:16 PM, dad son team said:

Look into gay group cruises.  They range in size from 25 ppl to a few hundred depending on the group and destination.   I've done two of them (1 on RCCL, 1 on Celebrity) with a third coming up on NCL to Alaska in Sept.  Rule of thumb on these, I think, is that the more upscale the cruise line is, the less of a party you will see.  Also true for longer itineraries.  The 4-5 days cruises are all party, while most cruises over 10 days, like trans-Atlantics, I think, tend to be retired people that have the time for them.  

On 7/31/2023 at 11:15 AM, dad son team said:

oh yes, the groups do have parties, but it's not as overwhelming as an all gay charter would be.  A party of 50-100 is not the same as a 3,000+ circuit party.  And I agree that the martini bar on X is the go-to spot for pre-dinner cocktails.  

Instead of a blanket “gay group cruise,” can you recommend some companies or sites? I saw BrandG and PiedPiper. I think I looked up PiedPiper once, and it seemed like the group could only be you if you’re the only one that books? Maybe I’m wrong.

My husband and I are definitely interested in this, as we have no desire for an Atlantis cruise, but do enjoy going to the LGBT meet ups. The issue with those are it can be so few people/poorly attended that you may not vibe with others, so a larger group that’s organized would be nice.

There are quite a few groups.  At least one for every subcategory of gay man.  I've done a Chub group, a bear group, and next is a daddy group.  I don't believe we can promote agencies here, but there is one out there for happy gays that seems to be able to hook you up with almost any group for both land and ocean trips anywhere in the world.  Just google gay group cruises and you'll be sure to find options.  

I want to ask a really innocent question here to understand this.

Please don't take this as an insult or with any intent to offend....

Why do you want to travel with a gay group and not just meet whoever on a ship?

For me, I was immersed in gay culture and everything gay when I was younger, but for a very long time - decades - been removed from any suggestion of gay culture, and just don't feel any need or desire to include that in my life.  Don't get me wrong, we have gay friends, both single and coupled, but they are truly a very small percentage of our friendship base.  My joy is meeting and talking to everyone and anyone and is not based on who they are with.

Again, there is no offence intended in this question, I am just curious as to why you would want to travel in a gay group? 

Perhaps I am missing something and this might be something that we should consider?

On 8/7/2023 at 5:54 AM, CDNPolar said:

Not everyone gets to be "immersed" in gay culture.

I did my first Atlantis cruise this year.  Now, I live in New York City, so I get to more or less be authentically myself 365 days out of the year, but I still found the experience incredibly freeing.  

Compare that against a guy from Utah that I met while I was on board.  One of the last nights, while I was feeling great but ready to get back to my normal life, he told me how much he wished he didn't have to go home.  And it took me a minute, but I realized that what his day to day life is like is very different than mine.  It was a powerful moment for me.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2023 at 5:54 AM, CDNPolar said:

It's personal preference.  I'm someone who hasn't done a pride parade in decades.  I go to bars maybe a few times a year.  I'm certainly not someone you'd consider part of "the scene." 

Would I consider one of these tours?  It's intriguing. All else being equal, I'd probably have more in common with a group of gays than a mostly straight cohort.  Or not:  I've gone to my share of LGBT mixers on traditional ships and they can be kind of cliquish, though I'll take my share of responsibility there.  I can be a bit socially uncomfortable/awkward so maybe I was projecting.

Weighing against it, I'm a single traveler so adding the supplement makes many of the cruises pricey.  Though the land-based tours might be doable.  

6 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

It's personal preference.  I'm someone who hasn't done a pride parade in decades.  I go to bars maybe a few times a year.  I'm certainly not someone you'd consider part of "the scene." 

Would I consider one of these tours?  It's intriguing. All else being equal, I'd probably have more in common with a group of gays than a mostly straight cohort.  Or not:  I've gone to my share of LGBT mixers on traditional ships and they can be kind of cliquish, though I'll take my share of responsibility there.  I can be a bit socially uncomfortable/awkward so maybe I was projecting.

Weighing against it, I'm a single traveler so adding the supplement makes many of the cruises pricey.  Though the land-based tours might be doable.  

If you are looking for land based tours, we are trying Gate1 for the first time in January 2024 through Cambodia and Vietnam.  Why I suggest Gate1 is their single supplements are often $500 to $900 on a trip cost of 4K or 5K which is a huge savings over most cruise lines and this tour operator and the people that travel with them are all very welcoming of LGBT.  I did a lot of research and read a lot of FB groups on this company and all the topics of LGBT were extremely positive and open.  I will always have more fear of being in a small group of 20ish or less that there may be some folks that are not comfortable with a gay single or couple on the trip, but everything points to positive.

17 hours ago, phillygwm said:

The single supplement isn't always that bad, especially if it's just a group vs. a whole ship.  Most of the group prices are close to the online prices so if you shop that way you can get a good feel for the price.  For the one I am going on next month, there was no single supplement.  it's a bit convoluted with the various discounts I got, but in a nutshell, the price quoted me to book with the group was about the same as the online price, which allowed for no supplement.  The agency that books the group was not able to book using all the discounts I had but told me or a small fee I can link my reservation to the group, which I did. Since I am traveling solo, the value in this for me is being able to dine with the group and go on excusions with the group, if I choose.  

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 4:00 PM, dad son team said:

There are quite a few groups.  At least one for every subcategory of gay man.  I've done a Chub group, a bear group, and next is a daddy group.  I don't believe we can promote agencies here, but there is one out there for happy gays that seems to be able to hook you up with almost any group for both land and ocean trips anywhere in the world.  Just google gay group cruises and you'll be sure to find options.  

I think I found the group you were referring to.

I don't necessarily care about sub-groups.  Of the ones I qualify for, I'm not attracted to the men (there's probably a psychoanalysis there. 😆

As a solo traveler, my concern is being the "third wheel."  I'd hate to spend thousands of dollars only to wander around by myself feeling awkward.  It's conceivable I could travel with friends who are a couple which would mitigate that but not sure (they seem to be of the same mind as CDNPolar's husband.) 

For those who have done these solo, what have your experiences been like?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I think I found the group you were referring to.

I don't necessarily care about sub-groups.  Of the ones I qualify for, I'm not attracted to the men (there's probably a psychoanalysis there. 😆

As a solo traveler, my concern is being the "third wheel."  I'd hate to spend thousands of dollars only to wander around by myself feeling awkward.  It's conceivable I could travel with friends who are a couple which would mitigate that but not sure (they seem to be of the same mind as CDNPolar's husband.) 

For those who have done these solo, what have your experiences been like?

Don't overthink it.  These groups are not necessarily for hooking up but more for camaraderie.  I go with the bear groups because that is what I am defined as in the community, and it's nice to not be the only chubby, hairy guy at the pool in a speedo.  Are there hook ups?  Of course, but there is also a lot of just friendly conversation and socializing.  Dinner for example is usually a set of tables for the group in the dining room and the tables can be anywhere from 2 to 12 people.  It's usually a mix of sizes.  You get to choose each night, and the larger tables are usually made up of both couples, single friends, and solo travelers so you never feel like the odd number wheel.  Last one I went on was a group of about 150 and I sat with different people each night.  Sometimes it was a table for 2 at a specialty restaurant with a new platonic friend, other times it was the table for 12 with the host and entertainment.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dad son team said:

Don't overthink it.  These groups are not necessarily for hooking up but more for camaraderie.  I go with the bear groups because that is what I am defined as in the community, and it's nice to not be the only chubby, hairy guy at the pool in a speedo.  Are there hook ups?  Of course, but there is also a lot of just friendly conversation and socializing.  

Good to know.  That 2024 Norwegian Fjord cruise sounds intriguing.  Better still, the SS is pretty modest (~$500)

To answer the question about why an all gay cruise.  The answer is that the entertainment is a big step above mainstream straight focused cruises.  You also get to interact with famous drag performers.  The gay bingo is hilarious.  I saw a gay acrobatic Cirque du Soleil level show on an all gay cruise that was better than the Vegas Cirque shows (I've seen all of them).

Anyway, you get your money's worth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RBCal said:

I saw a gay acrobatic Cirque du Soleil level show on an all gay cruise that was better than the Vegas Cirque shows (I've seen all of them).

If you're talking about AirOtic Soiree on Atlantis, I wholeheartedly agree.

• 5 months later...

I've done Atlantis, RSVP, and a couple of gay-group cruises. I much prefer the all-gay ones -and I am not at all a partier. I don't even drink. What makes the all-gay cruise is the ambiance and camaraderie. Everyone gets to be themselves without fear or worries. And there are no children running about... I did feel very much like a third wheel in the gay-group cruises, as I was almost the only one not in a couple or traveling with a close friend. On the all-gay cruises usually a third to half of the passengers are single. Yes there are parties every afternoon and evening, but nothing says you have to attend them. I usually go to bed by 11 and never hear a thing (though I do see some interesting sights on my way to breakfast in the morning). The afternoon "t-dances" only last for about 90 minutes, and you can easily get away from them (though the people-watching can be amazing). The only way to really know is to take the plunge and try one. Look for a ship or itinerary that really interests you. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 4:54 AM, CDNPolar said:

I want to ask a really innocent question here to understand this.

Please don't take this as an insult or with any intent to offend....

For me, I was immersed in gay culture and everything gay when I was younger, but for a very long time - decades - been removed from any suggestion of gay culture, and just don't feel any need or desire to include that in my life.  Don't get me wrong, we have gay friends, both single and coupled, but they are truly a very small percentage of our friendship base.  My joy is meeting and talking to everyone and anyone and is not based on who they are with.

Again, there is no offence intended in this question, I am just curious as to why you would want to travel in a gay group? 

Perhaps I am missing something and this might be something that we should consider?

We've done a couple Pied Piper groups.. for us, we are pretty introverted and a ship of 2500+ is overwhelming and we will end up not meeting anyone.  With the one's we've done (Med & Aus/NZ) there were maybe 40 - 60 in the group... we got to meet folks in a less intimidating format at dinner and pre-dinner cocktails so were able to make friends we've maintained for years.  It is nice that you aren't tethered to the group.. it is just available.  For us it works.
we are going on a South American one in less than a month - no idea how many will be in the Pied Piper group but it could just be us.. but it didn't cost extra so its ok too - have to force us to talk to folks.

• Like 1

We did 9 RSVP cruises in the 90's to early 2000's and loved them but they were very limited on itineraries and ships.  We sailed with Pied Piper twice - one transatlantic on QE2 which was fantastic and once to the Baltics which was total flop (no issue with ship or crew - just the hosts).  One thing to note about Pied Piper is that you are dependent on the hosts to be good - our Baltic trip they were terrible (a number of others were not happy either so it wasn't just us).  We complained in writing and never got any acknowledgement so dropped them from consideration going forward.  We would no longer consider a gay charter like RSVP/Atlantis - those days are over.  We now just cruise regular cruises to places we want to see and have a great time.  We like Princes and HAL, have sailed NCL, Cunard, Celebrity, etc.  I'm personally wary of new companies that pop up and have no track record so I'd have to wait for them be somewhat established before I'd consider booking with them.