Vpn that works on silver moon?

bitob

I debarked the Moon the day you embarked. My VPN is VyprVPN and it worked well. It needs to be set to the IKE v2 protocol to work on the ship. Very east to set the protocol under settings. We had some difficult tender transfers getting back onto the ship with a few passengers sustaining injuries so be careful. Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

Deciding it was time to look into the capabilities of VyprVPN (for $60/yr, a reasonable alternative).  Discovered that they do indeed support a number of different protocols, one of which is likely to work in any given circumstance.  They've even done what they can to deal with issues in countries like China.  If it helps with any shipboard IT personnel discussions, port numbers are added for each in bold red.  From their page:

WireGuard® Is Here

We are excited to offer WireGuard®, the most advanced, robust VPN protocol that offers the fastest and most private and secure connection available for all devices. In addition, VyprVPN accounts include a host of other VPN protocols so you can choose your preferred level of encryption, speed and protection, including IPsec, OpenVPN™ and Chameleon™.

WireGuard®

WireGuard® [51820 UDP]

WireGuard® is considered to be the future of VPN protocols. Built with an extremely slim code structure, this nimble technology offers you the highest levels of speed, privacy and security.

IPSec

IPSec

IPsec is a protocol built into most desktop, phone and tablet devices. We support both L2TP [1701 with TCP] and IKEv2 [500 and 1500 UDP] for IPSec on select platforms providing you fast, secure and reliable performance.

OpenVPN™

OpenVPN™ [1194 UDP by default]

OpenVPN™ is the industry standard protocol for desktops including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. OpenVPN™ is a secure and reliable choice.

Chameleon™

Chameleon™ [Unknown default, user selectable]

Our Chameleon™ technology defeats censorship by scrambling metadata to prevent deep packet inspection (DPI), VPN blocking and throttling.

8 minutes ago, bitob said:

My nord did not work. Could not even connect

vypr is working like a charm

Did you have a chance to try any of Nord's alternate protocols?  They're there, but Nord doesn't make them easy to find.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Did you have a chance to try any of Nord's alternate protocols?  They're there, but Nord doesn't make them easy to find.

Had no idea they existed. Where are they?  But the system here would not let me connect to nord at all. Couldn’t find the server. I connected to vypr immediately 

21 minutes ago, bitob said:

Had no idea they existed. Where are they?  But the system here would not let me connect to nord at all. Couldn’t find the server. I connected to vypr immediately 

That what will happen if the ship blocks the protocol in use.

On my phone (Android)

Open app

Click on Profile (lower right)

Click on 'gear' (upper right)

Click on Protocol

I suspect that "Recommended" - NordLynx, but I plan to fiddle with all of them on Dawn someday to see.

Thanks for the real-time updates, too.  Always better than historical info!

I should note, on my PC (since I don't know what device you're using), it's obviously different.

There, the gear is in the bottom left corner.

Select the Auto-Connect tab

Select VPN protocol

The protocol selections appear to be the same as for phone.

I’m on iPad 

could not connect to nord at all so would not have been able to access protocols

im now a vypr fan. 

I bought a $10 monthly plan and will cancel once I get off ship 

43 minutes ago, bitob said:

I’m on iPad 

could not connect to nord at all so would not have been able to access protocols

im now a vypr fan. 

I bought a $10 monthly plan and will cancel once I get off ship 

You don't have to connect with Nord first to tweak the settings, unless that's an "i"thing. 

I use a VPN for more than cruises, so may consider switching out.

If you want to watch your own programs on your tablet at night eg you need a vpn. I can connect to my home tv and dvr anywhere in the world   Just watched first 2 new episodes of grant Grantchester

I can watch itv at home in USA by fooling you Brits I am in uk. I am a British murder mystery addict. Last year we stayed  in Oxford and hired a guide for a tour of Endeavour and midsomer murder locales 

on regent Comcast was blocking connections because of the movement of the ship. Only those with a vpn could get Comcast email 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, canderson said:

You don't have to connect with Nord first to tweak the settings, unless that's an "i"thing. 

I use a VPN for more than cruises, so may consider switching out.

But with vypr I was able to connect first and then look at protocols and switch. 

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Don't forget to stop fiddling with your VPN's and enjoy your cruise.

Can I ask what is the advantage to having a VPN.

I use my android phone on a ship and don't see any problems with doing so.

Apart from fooling a streaming service into thinking you're home, using a public WiFi system for doing anything important, like banking on a long cruise, is a security problem without that additional layer of security.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used NordVPN for 2+ years now and like it so I plan to keep it.  Will look into getting a VypyrVPN  1 month subscription ($10) for the month of my cruise next year.  Need to look into vypyrVPN policies more closely.  All VPN providers are not equal.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:12 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Can I ask what is the advantage to having a VPN.

I use my android phone on a ship and don't see any problems with doing so.

You never know when one will come in handy. I can give you two examples where I would have been in much more of a mess without one, just in the past two years.

One: we were in Paris in March, getting ready to come home in March 2022. We had brought Binax self-tests in order to do the Covid RAD within 24h of entering the US. Idiot me...didn't realize that the test needed me to download and install an app so I could use it! No problem, I can download it now. Wrong! The app was not licensed to be installed outside of the US! So I could not download it while I was in France. Solution? I turned on my VPN, switched to a US location, and downloaded the app flawlessly.

Two: I made a wrong turn while driving a rental car in Italy in June 2022, and ended up in a city center where I could not drive without a resident permit. Eleven months later, they sent me a fine. There was a website to pay it online - handy! But I could not access the website at all. So I turned on my VPN and set it to Italy, accessed the website, and paid the fine online. And since I paid it within 5 days of the notification, I saved 30%! What a bargain, and I couldn't have done it without my VPN. (PS I paid it with PayPal so I got AMEX points for my troubles - bargains galore...)

I don't use it all the time, and furthermore, when you're on board a SS vessel, the VPN seems to block the onboard web-based interface where you can see things about your cruise (the website that some call an "app"). That took me a while to figure out. But there are times when it's a life saver.

Edited by jpalbny