British Isles end of September 2023

cyncorrell

Booked on the September 29, 2023 cruise.

First time booking myself without travel agent assistance.

Not overly familiar with Princess (3 prior Carribean cruises) in Europe,

Other cruise lines offer pre-cruise packages - does Princess?

Want to spend at least one night in London and not sure what to do about transfers to ship?

I understand Southhampton is 2+ hours away.

Cruise is booked - still checking on Air.

Need help with hotel - transfer questions.

Also the dining my way - the app will not let me book dinner time?

Guessing the excursions are booked out way in advance?

Can't find many available?

Tips on doing on our own?

Thank you everyone!

You could stay at an  hotel around Heathrow and travel into London by train. You can then book a transfer from the airport through princess.

**I asked this question last week and received some helpful responses 

IMG_2912.thumb.jpeg.047c7731dce6cc6660db6d688348c255.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyncorrell said:

Want to spend at least one night in London and not sure what to do about transfers to ship?

Need help with hotel - transfer questions.

Guessing the excursions are booked out way in advance?

Can't find many available?

We are also cruising from Southampton in September.  We have had our hotel booked for months now and every time I've checked lately our hotel is sold out.  You might be paying higher prices now and/or be limited on choices.  Princess does have pre-cruise hotel packages (see their website https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/) but you'll have to do the math and see if it makes sense.  Keep in mind the prices are quoted per person based on double occupancy and are not priced per room.

For transfers since you said you've booked on your own, log into the Personalizer and at the bottom of the 'Travel' tab you can book your own transfers both to and from the ship.  They are $59 each way and are offered from both LHR and Victoria Coach Station if you choose to stay in London pre-cruise and don't want to go back to the airport.  See screenshot attached.

Again for your excursion choices -- I'm afraid those may be limited too.  Many excursions for our September cruise from Southampton have been sold out for months now.  

Screenshot 2023-07-17 6.11.52 PM.png

Edited by Paula_MacFan

I'm also on this cruise and just booked the NOX Waterloo London ($250 night USD). It's very close to the Waterloo train station. I also booked the train that goes direct from Waterloo to Southampton for Friday morning. Hour and 15 min to Southampton by train. Using an Uber to get from Heathrow to the hotel on Thursday the 28th.

Edited by Esjung1

We are doing Southampton based cruise in October.

Staying at the Marlin Waterloo nights before--209E  for Sept. 28.

We are using Transfeero from LHR to London & British Express from London to Southampton.

Not the cheapest form of travel, but party of 2 from LHR & 4 from London.

Train is cheapest for sure & very doable (tho I don't know specifics).

I find customer service reps at train stations in Europe can quickly & easily route you where you need to go if you aren't sure.

Excursions...a number of ours were sold out when we booked in April, so I imagine it's worse now.

Most of your ports are easy to do on your own.

Check out whatsinport.com--it was SUPER helpful in knowing if I could grab a train/bus into a town or if an excursion was wise.

Your cruise has a number of different ports than I did in May.

Cobh is an adorable little town with some cute pubs. If you go into Cork, I recommend a couple of hours in Cobh before short walk back to the ship.

Belfast--I grabbed a cab at the port & asked them to take me to where I could board the Hop On Hop Off bus. LOVED the HOHO. I did the full loop (brilliant!), hopped off (it was the "end of the road" for our bus) & found my pass was good all day--I got on another, went to Titanic museum & grabbed cab to port from there. 

Greenock--NOT MUCH THERE. I recommend an excursion.

I did book independent excursions too--Google is your friend. 

Viator, Trip Advisor, Get Your Guide & others are reputable companies (tho I try to book direct with a specific tour company if I can)

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:51 PM, cyncorrell said:

Not overly familiar with Princess (3 prior Carribean cruises) in Europe,

Other cruise lines offer pre-cruise packages - does Princess?

Yes...we very often will do a pre-cruise hotel booked via Princess.  We generally do not do so in London.  We book the transfer from Victoria Coach Station.

However, if you do end up booking a hotel through Princess they will provide all of your transfers (airport to hotel and hotel to ship.)  You cab definitely do better as far as price goes...but if you would like to just sit back and let Princess handle all of those transfer details (like we usually do) they will do all of the leg work for you.

• Like 1