Theme Cruise - A Negative?

antmaril

We once did a Royal Caribbean cruise that was Rock & Roll themed (we didn’t know until well after booking). They tended to occupy a whole lounge rather than being spread all across the ship so it wasn’t a total intrusion of our holiday. To be honest we liked seeing all their doors being decorated and them wearing their finest outfits.

I too was originally booked on what I later learned was the Polka cruise.  Apparently, the prior year a similar event was held on the Regal Princess and included over 600 polka dancers, musicians, and fans.  It struck me that a similar number (600 out of 3,600) could change the dynamics of the cruise (as well as sometimes closing some venues) so I chose to change to the February 10 sailing on Sky which has an identical itinerary. 

41 minutes ago, VAWCB said:

I too was originally booked on what I later learned was the Polka cruise.  Apparently, the prior year a similar event was held on the Regal Princess and included over 600 polka dancers, musicians, and fans.  It struck me that a similar number (600 out of 3,600) could change the dynamics of the cruise (as well as sometimes closing some venues) so I chose to change to the February 10 sailing on Sky which has an identical itinerary. 

Changing to the February 10th sailing is not an option due to the high cost.  It’s coming up at $2300 MORE.  So, we are just going to have to take our chances that it will be okay.  As I mentioned earlier, I was on the Sky or Regal (can’t remember which one) with an Irish Group.  It was not a big deal at all.  Sometimes a venue was closed for their use, but it didn’t impact my cruise at all.  My friend is the one who is actually worried about it.  It’s the polka theme that is throwing her, I guess.  She has only cruised twice before and is concerned that the polka dancers/music will replace the regular entertainment (production shows).   I don’t think we have to worry about that.  

Thanks for your thoughts.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Personally, an 80’s theme cruise sounds like a blast. Other theme cruises I have heard about sound interesting and would just roll with it and have as much fun as I could.

But Polka?…….. just throw me overboard and put me out of my misery 😩   😂🤣😂

While not a fan of Polka music I'd rather listen to that than Hip Hop or Rap any day. (I'd probably rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard than listen to Hip Hop or Rap...)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Bluegrass, where every song is the exact same beat with different lyrics.

No, no, no.  That's "that Irish song".

Here's some great Bluegrass for you. (Love the lyrics...)

🙂

• Like 1

We were accidentally on a "polka cruise" a couple of years ago on the Sky Princess. It was not a polka themed cruise sponsored by Princess. It was a polka group (Mollie B) that was comprised of a lot of people/members. No, they did not take over the Princess Theatre but they did close off the Vista Lounge every night for their event. This did impact our entertainment as it eliminated that venue for the rest of us and any subsequent entertainment. If I recall correctly they also closed one of the bars for their group each evening. Even if you wanted to enjoy polka music, you were not able to participate unless you were in their club. As a result, we didn't hear any polka music at all. I guess if you know what to expect, go with an open mind. Having experienced this once, I wouldn't want to do it again. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, med02 said:

We were accidentally on a "polka cruise" a couple of years ago on the Sky Princess. It was not a polka themed cruise sponsored by Princess. It was a polka group (Mollie B) that was comprised of a lot of people/members. No, they did not take over the Princess Theatre but they did close off the Vista Lounge every night for their event. This did impact our entertainment as it eliminated that venue for the rest of us and any subsequent entertainment. If I recall correctly they also closed one of the bars for their group each evening. Even if you wanted to enjoy polka music, you were not able to participate unless you were in their club. As a result, we didn't hear any polka music at all. I guess if you know what to expect, go with an open mind. Having experienced this once, I wouldn't want to do it again. 

Thank you sharing your first hand experience.  While we haven’t made final payment yet, we have been looking forward to this cruise for quite a while.  We were originally supposed to go in 2022.  Canceled and decided to shoot for 2024.  To change it now would result in a much higher cost and we are not willing to do that.   I found a cruise on HAL for the same week, but after doing some investigation, I discovered there was a Christian Rock Group on board that week.  So….  I was on the Sky in late January 2020 and I only went into the Vista Lounge once.  So, that is not a big loss for me.  I think we will just go for it.  If I hadn’t checked my Roll Call, I wouldn’t have even known about the polka group.  It is the Mollie B group, by the way.  

it is what it is.  

Edited by antmaril