Rhodes cruise stop aboard Virgin Voyages

alpencoolcruiser

I was pretty torn about what to do in Rhodes: Lindos seems to be a great place but this meant a hectic day of travelling all the way to Lindos. The private tours were pretty much booked up. I considered renting a vehicle but in the end we decided to visit the old city and have less stress. This turned out to be a good thing because the medieval city of Rhodes is certainly a must visit. Even as the ship approached the city: one can see the town walls still intact. 

The ship docked at the terminal with no need for a tender, so getting off was a breeze and as usual we were off later than the others. You only had to walk a little distance from the ship to the port exit and then along the way there are the town walls with doors - we crossed the road and went right into the city. Here is a 3-part video of our walkabout in Rhodes. You can decide for yourself if its worth visiting. 

• Like 2

We also enjoyed Rhodes town on our first visit (second we visited Lindos)

So very easy from the ship into the old town, and in addition to some sights such as the Palace of the Grand Masters above, we enjoyed exploring using a self guided walking tour we found online.

It is very easy to enjoy a pleasant day without venturing anywhere else, especially if a first time visit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

We also enjoyed Rhodes town on our first visit (second we visited Lindos)

So very easy from the ship into the old town, and in addition to some sights such as the Palace of the Grand Masters above, we enjoyed exploring using a self guided walking tour we found online.

It is very easy to enjoy a pleasant day without venturing anywhere else, especially if a first time visit.

I really enjoyed it and I guessed the next time if I am there on a cruise I would also venture out to Lindos. It looks pretty there. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 12:30 PM, alpencoolcruiser said:

I was pretty torn about what to do in Rhodes: Lindos seems to be a great place but this meant a hectic day of travelling all the way to Lindos. The private tours were pretty much booked up. I considered renting a vehicle but in the end we decided to visit the old city and have less stress. This turned out to be a good thing because the medieval city of Rhodes is certainly a must visit. Even as the ship approached the city: one can see the town walls still intact. 

The ship docked at the terminal with no need for a tender, so getting off was a breeze and as usual we were off later than the others. You only had to walk a little distance from the ship to the port exit and then along the way there are the town walls with doors - we crossed the road and went right into the city. Here is a 3-part video of our walkabout in Rhodes. You can decide for yourself if its worth visiting. 

Thank you for posting this. You convinced me to head for Leidos.  No way do I want to spend my day in a massive shopping mall full of junk.  It's a shame they ruined the old town that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Rhodes twice and absolutely loved it both times. Wandering the cobblestone alleys, the Way of Knights, visiting the Grandmaster's Palace, and enjoying a glass of wine in the city square while a sketch artist drew my portrait made for magical days.  So many Med ports are about viewing rock piles from antiquity. This is interesting, but so is Rhodes where modern civilization exists as a living history within a Medieval fortress. Even the memories make me smile years later.  

• Like 2

We will be in Rhodes on our cruise this October. We also plan to do this port on our own. We want to walk around the Old Town and see all the recommended sites, but I also read about a Hop On Hop Off bus that has a stop very close to the port. I thought we could take the bus to get an overview of of the area and also see some of the sites not within the walls. And then spend the rest of the time inside the Old Town. Does anyone know about this bus? Can anyone recommend a restaurant for lunch? Thanks you!

4 hours ago, KBrote said:

We will be in Rhodes on our cruise this October. We also plan to do this port on our own. We want to walk around the Old Town and see all the recommended sites, but I also read about a Hop On Hop Off bus that has a stop very close to the port. I thought we could take the bus to get an overview of of the area and also see some of the sites not within the walls. And then spend the rest of the time inside the Old Town. Does anyone know about this bus? Can anyone recommend a restaurant for lunch? Thanks you!

Hello, we didn't take the bus - it was really comfortable to walk around and I do wonder if the bus will benefit that much since you are stopping by a restaurant for lunch. I found this on the website for Hop-on, Hop-off buses in October so I would really check if it is worth it. 

"Important information

Know before you go

• The bus may not pass stops 9 and 10 due to roadworks
  • For the months of April and October, buses run from 9 AM. The last departure is at 4:00 PM from station 1 and buses will finish running at 5:00 PM
  • Operating times may change and be less frequent than usual, the local tour provider will notify you of schedule changes via email"

• 1 month later...