From Vancouver to Seattle After Cruise – Where to Stay?

sunshower9

My husband and I are taking an Alaska cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver next June.  The plan is to stay in Vancouver for 2 days and Seattle for 1 day after the cruise.  We’re taking the morning Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle, which means we should arrive in Seattle around 11:00am.  We would need to store our bags somewhere prior to checking in at the hotel.  We want to visit Pike Place Market and the Space Needle, plus some exploring and walking along the waterfront.  And we would need to haul our luggage to the airport the next morning for our flight back home.  

I’m not sure what is a good location for us to stay in or how we should get to the airport.  I know the Embassy Suites is right next to the Amtrak station, but I’m thinking we should pick a hotel that’s closer to the things we want to visit.  I see a lot of posts asking about pre-cruise hotels, but our cruise ends in Vancouver so we don’t need to be near the port.

Also, what’s the best way to get to SeaTac the next morning?  Uber/Lyft?  Or would the light rail be easier, even with all our luggage?  I’ve been trying to research and figure it all out but my head is swimming with information.  I’m also trying to plan for Vancouver, which is adding to my stress (I’ll likely be making a separate post about Vancouver hotels later lol).  I’d appreciate any guidance to help me sort things out.

There are dozens of threads on hotels here. Take a look around the board. 

Seattle is pretty walkable, at least around the main sites. Uber is very good to the airport. 

I have never encountered a hotel that won't hold your bags until you can get into your room.

• Like 1

most hotels will hold your bag for when you early check in.  Go to your hotel check in and leave your bags , and then go out for lunch and explore.  Stay uptown away from the station for better access to the sties you wish to see. There are many of the name brand hotels to choose from and also many smaller boutique type places.  YOu can catch the link lite rail to several stops in the core, or take a quick Uber /Lyft .

There is a flat  rate from Yellow cab to the airport from downtown hotel core.  That is as handy as anything and you can book ahead. See their web site.   I am a Lyft gal myself and Uber / Lyft are not really much different from a taxi and all are best for door to door.  They should be quite plentiful.   I dont know what you might mean about "easier"  The light rail is fine and the nice thing about it is after it gets out of the local neighborhoods it is immune from the traffic as it is elevated and off the public road.  It is your most economical choice, but it is a walk from the platform to the departure desks.  a car service will land you slightly closer.

you can choose a hotel close to one of the Link stations if that helps

Honestly, if you can afford it, I'd just stay at the Embassy Suites.  It's ideally located, you can walk straight to the waterfront (a couple of blocks) or to the International District, Pike Place market, or any number of other attractions.  For example, look at the historic Smith Tower as a possible alternative to the ($$$) Space Needle - you can actually see the Space Needle from the building, something you can't do from the Space Needle. 😉

One note is that the free waterfront shuttle has been restored this year, and hopefully will be running next June when you arrive.  It can take you from the King Steet Station all along the central waterfront and up to Seattle Center, with stops for the Pike market (via elevator through the market garage) - all for free.  Free Seattle Waterfront Shuttle - Official Page

Route map - 

2023-route-map-free-waterfront-shuttle-f

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1