Vow Renewal Opinions Needed (long)

We have booked a cruise on the RCCL Sovereign for our 10th anniversary, and would like to do a vow renewal at that time. The cruise is going to Nassau and CocoCay. We have a few friends and family coming along (not many).

The vow renewal package is $400, and the more I think about it, we really aren't getting much of anything for that cost. I want to do a simple tropical silk flower bouquet which I will make. We would get the cake (which from what I have seen is not much more than the special occasion cake RCCL sells for app. $7). We would get the use of the space, and an officiant. We would get a bottle of champagne, which some people who have done the vow renewal have said they never got.

I contacted Ardastra Gardens in Nassau, a botanical garden/small zoo which is known for their trained flamingos. They are getting ready to start hosting weddings there, and said we could have our vow renewal there for a small site fee (no word yet on what that is). I am wondering if we can do the vow renewal ourselves with no officiant? I would think in a vow renewal, the officiant's main purpose would be to keep the ceremony going. My husband thinks I have lost my mind, but I am thinking if we write our own vows, we can not have an officiant. For simplicity and for cost sake, I think this may be the way to go... I would rather spend my money on souvenirs and the spa. icon_smile.gif

Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions or opinions? Thank you all!

Kim

Kim,

You're reading my mind (and you must have read my posts icon_razz.gif).

Spend the money on the spa and other goodies, especially since SOS doesn't have a chapel (the ceremony would probably be in one of the lounges/bars).

Could you get the marching flamingoes at Ardastra Gardens in your VR? icon_wink.gif

Mrs. Dockside Doc

SOS February 2003

Mariner of the Seas February 2004

Voyager of the Seas September 2004

RCCL is crazy!!!!!!!! My husband and I did a Renewal of Vows on HAL Zuiderdam last September and it was only $99.00!!!! They had a nice room with 4 other couples that were also doing it, but they made each couple feel special. We received a small reception with cake, champagne, a beautiful certificate signed by the Captain who did the ceremony personally and a nice photo included. We had a very memorable ceremony and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Check other options! A Renewal shouldn't cost near that much! I also forgot, they included corsages and a bountineer (sp) for both of us!

Sensation 9/98 10th anniv.

Big Red Boat 5/99

Ecstasy 10/00

Destiny 9/01 The week of 911

Victory 10/01

Imagination 12/20/01

Imagination 2/4/02

Zuiderdam 9/6/03 - 15th anniv.

Carnival Legend 11/27/04

Happiness is being on a cruise

with the one you love!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend Here We Come 11/27

looking into a vow renewal in st maarten...

does anyone have any location recommendations or wedding planner/minister reccs. I'd like to use RCI but they tell me they will only do the royal romance pkg on the ship, not off.

any advice?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;03;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till we MARINATE on the MARINER!

Navigator of the Seas, 2003

Monarch of the Seas,'96 & '02

Nordic Empress, '98 & '00

Sun Viking '90

Song of America '92

Kim,

We renew our vows whenever our anniversary falls on a Saturday as it was when we got married, which was a leap year, so it's not that regular. We renewed our vows aboard the Sovereign in Nassau. We decided to say our own vows without an officiant or anyone else, it was just us. It was more meaningful than when we went to a wedding chapel in Vegas or had a minister in the Poconos.

We waited until the 1st seating was is in the dining room and the 2nd seating passengers were getting ready. We went up on deck and we were totally alone, no one was around. This was so romantic, my husband and I were both in tears from the emotion. We couldn't have planned it any better. We are renewing our vows this year on the Explorer, which is also in Nassau that day. I'm hoping for a repeat.

It will be very special anyway you decide.

Kathy

We'll be renewing our vows with the RCL package on our 7/4 Mariner cruise. Our teenagers are making a music cd of their father's favorite music (he is ill and will not be with us in a few years) and our preteen will read something for us. The RCL package doesn't sound very exciting for the money, but we intend to make it special. I'll post something when we get back to report on how it went.

A few years ago we renewed our vows in Alaska for our 15th anniversary. I had tried making arrangements through the cruiseline (Celebrity) but their packages were extremely expensive and focused more on weddings than vow renewals. I finally researched churches in the ports, and called a priest myself. We made arrangements for a religious ceremony during our cruise. We went to the church directly upon arriving at the port. I brought a silk flower corsage and boutenieres (sp?), and had packed them in a shoebox so they wouldn't get crushed. When we boarded, I contacted the Pursar's Deck and made priority arrangements to be among the first off the ship at that port.

I called the Chamber of Commerce at the port, and they gave me contact info for a photographer. He met us at the church, took pictures throughout the service, and had the film developed while we toured the port -- he even gave us the negatives. It was wonderful, and even with a donation to the Church and a thank-you gift to the Priest, it was less costly than Celebrity's package. In fact, the only screw-up was that Celebrity forgot to deliver our special cake & champagne in the dining room that night.

Archived