considering Alaska 07 cruise - North or South?

sandiego1

We are considering an Alaskan cruise for summer 07. Probably will go w/ either Celebrity of HAL, but we're open to other options. We want to do a 1 way tour so we can spend a wk or so in Alaska before or after the trip.

Is there any benefit in starting from Vancouver and ending in Seward or vice versa? Should we end our trip w/ the tour of Alaska or start w/ it and then get on the ship?

Does anyone have a favorite month to go? Our schedules are flexible. We would like to avoid bad weather and a ton of kids on the ship. I know that summer is a favorite time for families to travel. That's why we're considering HAL and Celebrity. Think there will be slightly less children on those ships. Bad weather can happen at any time, but we'd prefer to travel during the "best" season to try to minimize the risk.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

We're doing a June 07 HAL northbound trip ... for no other reason than to have an experience "build up", instead of a slow "let down" ... if you know what I mean.

We'll be following the cruise with an interior trip.

I have gone both ways, several times. I do like southbound, there is NO "let down" claimed by the other poster in my opinion. Main reason is for the daylight sailing of Vancouver Island. Especially if you get a ship with a ship naturalist, this is a day they can add plenty of great commentary in an extremely scenic area.

Some will also claim that southbound is more relaxing. I attribute this to marathon trips that would be superior if a few more days were added. TIME is necessary in my opinion and a big problem with some cruise tours which just aren't the best option for interior travel.

Northbound sailings don't have near the "build up" they used to when they did Valdez and coastal sailings. Most now just make a stright shot across the gulf. If the ship doesn't go to College Fjords, this can be pretty much a sea day.

So frankly, both are great Alaska touring options. If going later in the season, superior are northbound trips. Interior Alaska has less weather ranges in Sept. compared to inside passage which has the worse potential for weather of the entire sailing season. Every trip is a compromise, choose the priorities for you touring. And do your homework. :)

thanks for the replies.

Another question - assuming we do a Northbound trip, should we reserve a cabin on the port or starboard side of the ship? Does it matter? On our recent cruise, I wished we had booked on the other side so we could see more of the ports when we were sitting on our veranda.

For Alaska, I guess we'd want to be on the side where there is more scenary as we are cruising. I really don't know if it matters at all.

We will prob not do a land based tour through the cruise line. I'm usually happier exploring on my own w/ only 1 or do structured tours. Can't imagine spending a week on a bus w/ 30-40 people running from site to site.

Also, any more info about weather would be appreciated.

So frankly, both are great Alaska touring options. If going later in the season, superior are northbound trips. Interior Alaska has less weather ranges in Sept. compared to inside passage which has the worse potential for weather of the entire sailing season. Every trip is a compromise, choose the priorities for you touring. And do your homework. :)

Thanks Budget Queen, for your feedback and explanation about less weather variations in the interior, when touring later in the season.

I do have a question though: Do you mean less chance of rain? What about temps. My quess is that it would be colder in September. If so, colder and less rain would work for me!

Thanks Budget Queen, for your feedback and explanation about less weather variations in the interior, when touring later in the season.

I do have a question though: Do you mean less chance of rain? What about temps. My quess is that it would be colder in September. If so, colder and less rain would work for me!

Inside passage is colder and MORE rain, average 3 days past the first week of Sept., ave temps 45-60, dusk by 7pm. Interior Alaska is way milder and less drastic changes in Sept.

thanks for the replies.

Another question - assuming we do a Northbound trip, should we reserve a cabin on the port or starboard side of the ship? Does it matter? On our recent cruise, I wished we had booked on the other side so we could see more of the ports when we were sitting on our veranda.

For Alaska, I guess we'd want to be on the side where there is more scenary as we are cruising. I really don't know if it matters at all.

We will prob not do a land based tour through the cruise line. I'm usually happier exploring on my own w/ only 1 or do structured tours. Can't imagine spending a week on a bus w/ 30-40 people running from site to site.

Also, any more info about weather would be appreciated.

You may want to consider a port balcony if cruising Glacier Bay and/or College Fjords as all the glacier viewing is on that side on the way in with all the commentary. Of course, in my opinion the only place to be is out on a front deck seeing it all. :) Determine what your priorities are, frankly sitting in port and looking out from a balcony is not my idea of fun since being in port is definately better. :) (but I know what you mean :) )

Archived