Upgrade offer

Last month, I was on the Panorama (same class) in a Havana aft balcony on deck 8. We had a really awful problem with soot from the rear funnel. It was unfortunate - we couldn't sit out there without covering everything in towels.

I believe deck 5 balconies are the Havana Cabanas with the hammock swings and a direct path to the Havana area - no stairs! I would definitely choose one of those over an aft balcony higher up.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Beav1279 said:

Last month, I was on the Panorama (same class) in a Havana aft balcony on deck 8. We had a really awful problem with soot from the rear funnel. It was unfortunate - we couldn't sit out there without covering everything in towels.

We may have been on the same sailing - the soot was unbelievable.  It's the first time I've seen them close several aft decks of the ship due to the mess (multiple times) especially when it rained.  It looked like someone had poured chocolate syrup all over the track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

We may have been on the same sailing - the soot was unbelievable.  It's the first time I've seen them close several aft decks of the ship due to the mess (multiple times) especially when it rained.  It looked like someone had poured chocolate syrup all over the track.

I couldn't believe how bad it was when we first boarded... then on day 3, they cleaned it all and I thought we'd be good! But no, it was all back by the next day. I've heard others have had similar issues - it's likely due to the angle of the funnel and the wind.. but don't accidentally sit down out there! You'll have awful black marks on your shorts.

For the money, I'd probably stay put.  We have a deck 5 Havana interior on the Horizon for next year, I'm pretty excited about it, and don't see myself spending much time in the cabin.  I'd say I'd be willing to pay maybe $250 total to move to a Havana balcony, but think I'd pass for $400.

• Like 1

I got an email upgrade for my 10 day venezia just yesterday.  Not as great of a deal as you have, but was able to shift from an inside cabin to a Cove Balcony for $399.  Considering its a 10 day cruise, the $400 felt like a bargain.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

was able to shift from an inside cabin to a Cove Balcony for $399.  Considering its a 10 day cruise, the $400 felt like a bargain.

I totally agree - the cove balconies are so nice, especially for that many days.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, roguebandit1441 said:

Got an upgrade offer on the Vista from deck 7 Havana,  to deck 7 aft balcony, or deck 5 Havana balcony for $400(200pp). Though it was a great offer, what do yall think?

I'd pass.  You still get the access to the Havana area so why pay extra?  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 9:34 PM, csm5986142 said:

Not to hijack the thread, but are Deck 9 cabins spared from the soot problems?  They appear to have a ceiling over them from Lido above.  Just wondering as we are booked for 2024.  Thx! 

12 hours ago, 80sGal said:

Not to hijack the thread, but are Deck 9 cabins spared from the soot problems?  They appear to have a ceiling over them from Lido above.  Just wondering as we are booked for 2024.  Thx! 

Being covered probably saves you from the soot problem - I'd double-check reviews for those cabins just in case.

• Thanks 1