Is there any point?

Davevics25

Doing a med cruise next year on viva . The ship stops in catania  and messina both on sicily. Is there any point leaving the ship on both days as it seems so close together . And which one would be better for site seeing 

2 hours ago, maren91 said:

I would LOVE to have this problem! Eat all the food you can and enjoy!

Not a huge fan of traditional Sicilian cuisine.  Horse meat and donkey meat are prevalent and considered a delicacy.  Pasta is served differently than mainland Italy.  I don’t love eggplant and that’s a staple…

I do love, however, their use of local seafood. Anchovies, tuna, and sardines are commonplace.

Agreed - two different ports - both worth seeing - especially Taormina. And if you are a fan of the show White Lotus - bring home some of those ceramic head statues .

Re cuisine - to each his own -but the pastas made with fresh tomatoes in August when the tomatoes are at their finest just cannot be beat.

Edited by RD64
Spelling

My feeling is that it's always worth getting off the ship, unless it's an American port. Then I generally just have a port side sea day. But if I'm traveling internationally, even to Nassau, I get off the boat to explore something different!

Ask me after I've taken forty cruises and I might give you a different answer.

I'm loving @RD64's response about fresh tomatoes. That sounds simply divine!

6 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Sure, have one day exploring Etna and the other going around the small town - Taormina etc and have some cannoli. Better than trying to squeeze both in on one day

To paraphrase a movie quote, "drop the horsemeat, try the cannoli. "

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is plenty to do with two Sicilian ports.  Taormina is lovely and there are "Godfather" tours that visit the small towns used as filming locations in the movies.  Etna was interesting BUT, if you are prone to motion sickness at all, take some meds beforehand.  Both my husband and myself were absolutely green from the mountain switchback roads.