Post cruise excursion to Houston Space Center and transfers to airport question.

We are sailing on Harmony of the Seas in June of 2024 with a group of about 14 ppl. Some members of our group are interested in seeing the Houston Space Center. My question is, I am only seeing that option post cruise with transfers to George Bush International airport. Does Royal ever offer this with transfers to Houston Hobby?  I was wondering this since it's still early and I know not all shore excursions aren't posted yet so maybe not all post cruise excursions are showing yet? We are trying to plan when we will will fly into Houston and fly home and where to stay but it would help to know this so we know what airport to fly into or maybe we will have to do it on our own if we fly into Hobby. Thanks!

Heide

I'm sorry I can't answer that part of your question, but we visited the Johnson Space Center a few years ago and just loved it. We spent an entire day there, with a tour of the old Mission Control from the 'older' days and a wonderful tour of one of the three Space Shuttles that are available for touring. Just a remarkable place.

Cheers

Len

The airport you would be best to fly in/out of is Houston Hobby. Hobby is about 45 miles from Galveston. The big airport, IAH, (George Bush) is 70 miles from Galveston.

Shuttles from Hobby to Galveston https://galvestonexpress.com/

It's about 30 miles from Galveston to NASA- Johnson Space Center, which is located in Clear Lake. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/home/index.html

You would probably get a lot more from a NASA visit own your own. 

Edited by SPacificbound
added to content

We just got off Allure yesterday in Galveston. There was an option for a cruise transfer where they would take you to the Space Center for a few hours and then on to IAH. It sold out very quickly. I would assume that you would need a flight in the very late afternoon or early evening to make that work. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was $120ish per person. The regular shuttle to IAH was $39 per person. They did have a transfer option to Hobby, but I don't know the price. I don't think I ever saw the option to purchase any of this ahead of time. It had to be done onboard through the app.

Word of warning... the wait for the regular $39/pp IAH shuttle line was INSANE. We waited in 95F heat with no shade (or breeze!) for over an hour to get on the shuttle. Then waiting on the bus, traveling to IAH, and getting off at the last terminal took another two hours. Never again! I'll gladly pay double the price for an Uber next time.

16 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

we visited the Johnson Space Center a few years ago and just loved it. We spent an entire day there, with a tour of the old Mission Control from the 'older' days and a wonderful tour of one of the three Space Shuttles that are available for touring. Just a remarkable place.

I'd like to make one small clarification. The shuttle at the Johnson Space Center is a real-size mock-up; JSC was not awarded an actual shuttle for reasons off-topic at this site. An actual Boeing 747 that carried the shuttle is what is on display at JSC, with the mock-up attached to it the way an actual shuttle would have been.

7 hours ago, Booking It said:

We just got off Allure yesterday in Galveston. There was an option for a cruise transfer where they would take you to the Space Center for a few hours and then on to IAH. It sold out very quickly. I would assume that you would need a flight in the very late afternoon or early evening to make that work. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was $120ish per person. The regular shuttle to IAH was $39 per person. They did have a transfer option to Hobby, but I don't know the price. I don't think I ever saw the option to purchase any of this ahead of time. It had to be done onboard through the app.

Thanks for the info. The tour of the Space Center with transfers to IAH is available for pre purchase for 108.99. It's listed with shore excursions. I was just really hoping someone would say that they have seen the excursion offered with transfers to Hobby. Since not all shore excursions have been added for our cruise yet, I was hopeful that maybe that is just one that isn't listed yet and maybe it still will be added. I don't even know yet where everyone is flying in and out of. We have people coming from Chicago, Dubuque, Denver and even some from out of the country. It's my sister planning this cruise for her kids and grandkids so I'll pass this info along to her. I am going on the cruise too but don't know if I'll go to the Space Center or not.

• 4 months later...
On 7/30/2023 at 7:57 PM, HeidiHo said:

We are sailing on Harmony of the Seas in June of 2024 with a group of about 14 ppl. Some members of our group are interested in seeing the Houston Space Center. My question is, I am only seeing that option post cruise with transfers to George Bush International airport. Does Royal ever offer this with transfers to Houston Hobby?  I was wondering this since it's still early and I know not all shore excursions aren't posted yet so maybe not all post cruise excursions are showing yet? We are trying to plan when we will will fly into Houston and fly home and where to stay but it would help to know this so we know what airport to fly into or maybe we will have to do it on our own if we fly into Hobby. Thanks!

Did you ever get a straight answer on this as we too are on the same sailing  with the same interest in seeing the space port and then going to Hobby for our flight.  My main concern is where we can put our luggage.  

Edited by Cruisin since the 70s

We were on Harmony of the Seas last week. Our cruise planner pre-cruise only showed an excursion with a transfer to George Bush International airport.  On embarkation day, we went to Shore Excursions and asked if they had this excursion that drops off at Hobby Airport and she said yes so she started to sign us up for it and when I looked at the description of what she was about to charge us for, it said the transfer is to George Bush International airport, not Hobby.  She seemed confused and we realized she either didn’t know what she was talking about or didn’t understand the difference between the two airports.