Vietnam and Thailand

hobgoblin

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank you Hubofhockey & John Bull.  Invaluable information.  Hub we did a cruise to Southern Japan & Korea (Tokyo<>Tokyo on Regent) in 2019.  We loved it.  Make sure to spend at least a full day in Kyoto and I'd recommend that you splurge for a private tour that day.  If you have any other questions on Japan let me know.  Thanks again.

Thanks, Azamara and Oceania probably cost a bit less than Regent.  

We’re doing Kyoto before the cruise, two nights and two days.

Vietnam/Thailand/Hong Kong was easier to plan than Japan.  Enjoy Vietnam and Thailand.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

thank you hubofhockey.  My niece and her husband (Boston) are huge Bruin Fans.  Honestly I'm trying to figure this out.  My cruise stops in Bangkok (Laem), Ho Chi Ming City, Chang May & Ha Long Bay.  I've read that the Bangkok (2 days) and Mo Chi Ming (3 days) are 2 - 2 1/2 hour rides.  Not sure about the other two.  We will be taking the basic cruise line tours, they are included.  I am an aging male and the thought of going 2 1/2 hours w/o a  bathroom break is frightening.  Also we are going in Feb so would want AC in the bus.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

My suggestion would be, if the cruise overnights in, e.g., Bangkok, then get a private tour from the port and stay overnight in the city.  That eliminates at least five hours (to/from) on the road in a crowded tour bus.  We have done that several times in the past at different ports.  I would do the same for Saigon.  A good opportunity to experience the city at night.  Just a humble suggestion.  Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2023 at 2:03 PM, hobgoblin said:

Has anyone been to any of the Vietnam War sites/museums/graves ?

Do any of the tours go there ?

My husband is very interested in this history period but  think he might be  disapointed if its not on any itineraries .

One of the trips for Ho Chi Minh City is a full day that goes to the Cu Chi Tunnels. It’s possible to go onto the shooting range there and use some of the guns from the Vietnam War (at an additional cost obviously). I went because it was definitely my late husbands thing, but I found it fascinating to visit the hospital, see the man traps etc. Some of the tunnels have been enlarged to make it easier for us touristy types to get through. Still not recommended for anyone with claustrophobia or over 6ft tall though!

it’s a long trip there and back, but what you see through the tour bus window more than makes up for that

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThePapermaker said:

We are going to Cruise the Diamond Princess on Jan. 5 2024 from Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Anyone familiar with this cruise. We are looking for a hotel pre cruise in Singapore. Any suggestions? 

It very much depends on budget! When I visited in January this year I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Clark Quay. It cost me about £150 per night, including breakfast. I chose it because of location: it was walking distance to a lot of the things I wanted to see this time. I found the staff very helpful. My flight arrived about 8am, and even after immigration and a taxi ride, it was still only 8.45 when I got to the hotel. I was going to ask to leave my bags till check in time, but the girl on reception found me a vacant room, no early check in charge. At that time, the heavens opened, so grateful for the opportunity I had a couple of hours sleep. The rooftop view of the city is pretty spectacular too. Not the biggest, not the most expensive, not the biggest rooms, but more than I needed or expected 

10 hours ago, ThePapermaker said:

We are going to Cruise the Diamond Princess on Jan. 5 2024 from Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Anyone familiar with this cruise. We are looking for a hotel pre cruise in Singapore. Any suggestions? 

We did a similar itinerary on the Diamond Princess in January 2020 for 14 nights. We started in Singapore, but ended in Tokyo, with stops in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan. It was a wonderful cruise. We stayed at the Pan Pacific in Singapore, great hotel with an excellent location and impressive breakfast. 

If you have time, it's easy to add on Bali beforehand, as it's a very short and inexpensive flight from Singapore.