Question regarding "Stopover Certificates" on Celebrity Solstice

ZAinAUS

Hi there

I am a South African passport holder living in Australia sailing on the Celebrity Solstice from Hawaii to Australia on 01 October 2023.

During our trip we spend a day at a different ports (less than 24 hours per port) in French Polynesia.

I have acquired all the required visas for US, AUS, NZ. While researching what visa I would need for French Polynesia I found the following info on French Polynesia's border police website (and a few other French websites):

According to the "Order of December 29, 2011 relating to the documents and visas required for the entry of foreigners into the territory of French Polynesia" or "Arrêté du 29 décembre 2011 relatif aux documents et visas exigés pour l'entrée des étrangers sur le territoire de la Polynésie française" here's the link

In Annexe II (the countries with exemptions) it states the following:

image.png

I also found this on the Australian French Embassy FAQ page which seems to relate to the above mentioned document:

image.png

My questions are:

• Does the Celebrity Solstice provide passengers that need a Stopover Certificate with one?
  • If not, does the Celebrity Solstice provide a document that would prove I am carrying on my journey with the cruise to the next point (within 24 hours)?
  • Will I be allowed to board the ship with the above mentioned document printed out (instead of a visa)?

I contacted the French Embassy in Australia and they said (referring to their FAQ page) that I must enquire with my cruise company about a "Stopover Certificate", when I contacted Celebrity directly they told me they weren't sure if the Solstice provided these certificates and to ask the French Embassy... After I told them the situation they said I should email Celebrity's support team and get an answer in writing so that I can board the ship. The estimated wait time for a response is 30 days.

I seem to be stuck without a concrete answer and my first cruise experience which might be ruined by a piece of paper 😞 

Are there any South Africans on here that have visited French Polynesia on a cruise without being asked for a "Stopover Certificate"?

Thanks in advance
Nic

Edited by ZAinAUS

• ZAinAUS changed the title to Question regarding "Stopover Certificates" on Celebrity Solstice

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There is a 12 page Roll Call for your cruise.  A roll call is where you can ‘meet’ other CC members who will be sailing with you.  I suggest you go there and see what they are discussing.  To find your Roll Call, go back to the main boards page, scroll down to Roll Calls, choose your cruise line, then your ship, and scroll down until you find a thread with the dates for your sailing.  Yours is about 3/4 of the way down the page.  EM

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
10 hours ago, jessaugust said:

Hi Nic,

I am a South African in a similar situation. Did you end up needing to get a visa?

Thanks!

Jess

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Just a note; your message to Nic may very well be forever ignored if you don't specifically "target" the recipient by entering his screen name as @jessaugust.  Especially one where a significant amount of time has passed.  He/she may not be "following" the thread.  (In this particular case he is...)

Hi @jessaugust

I would recommend getting the visa. The documentation officers were very strict about me needing a visa and advised that I would have to remain onboard during stopovers in French Polynesia.

I got lucky, and circumstances allowed me to arrange being allowed onshore, however the whole ordeal caused a lot of stress on what was meant to be a very relaxing holiday.

Needless to say, if I was doing the cruise again I would get the visa!

Good luck and apply for your visas as soon as possible! 🙂