Anytime dining

emdia43

How does that work?

Does that mean I can stroll in to eat whenever I want,or do I just specify what time I want to eat andthen make a reservation for that time?

If I go with anytime dining does that mean I cannot use the main dining rooms at all? I am a bit confused. Does it restrict me to certain places to eat- are you assigned a table and dining companions?? :confused:

It means you can go to the dining at a time that is most convenient to you. Usually, depending on the ship, the will use 1 or 2 of the 3 dining rooms for "anytime dining". You will still eat in a main dining room, and it will be the same menu as the "traditional dining" room for that night. Typically you can make reservations before 6:30 or after 8:00, now that doesn't mean you can't eat between those times. You just can't make reservations between those times. If you go, depending on what table size you are looking for, you have a 10 to 20 minute wait. Not a problem, they will give you a pager, and you can go relax and have a drink.

Sorry, forgot to answer the companion question. No, you would not have the same companions every night. You can choose to share a table or try and get one the right size for just your group. Of course you will be seated quicker if you're willing to share a table. We used to worry about not have the same table companions every night too, but it works out OK, you get to meet more people this way. I think the only down side to the anytime dining is you don't have the same table, so you don't have the same wait staff. Now, of course I have heard that you can make a standing reservation for the same time and same table, but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of anytime dining. IMHO.

Hope this all helps.

It means you can go to the dining at a time that is most convenient to you. Usually, depending on the ship, the will use 1 or 2 of the 3 dining rooms for "anytime dining". You will still eat in a main dining room, and it will be the same menu as the "traditional dining" room for that night. Typically you can make reservations before 6:30 or after 8:00, now that doesn't mean you can't eat between those times. You just can't make reservations between those times. If you go, depending on what table size you are looking for, you have a 10 to 20 minute wait. Not a problem, they will give you a pager, and you can go relax and have a drink.

I too am trying to get the dining option completely figured out.

What is the difference, other than making a reservation for a table for the entire cruise, rather than making reservations between the specified times for Choice Dining?

This is confusing. Freestyle, on NCL really means that you can eat anytime in the buffet, (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks all day long). You can also eat in any of the other restaurants during times they are open. Is this the same for Princess?

I am sure the explanation is simple, but for some reason, it seems to sound as though there is not that much difference between Choice and Traditional.

Please help me out here! Thanks so very much.:)

Thanks Bob, you explain it well. When I'm on vacation I don't like to be looking at my watch any more than necessary,or have to stop what I'm doing because it's the official time to eat. Might as well be at work....

As for the companion issue- on one cruise I would have been glad not to have the same companions.....

We just like to sit and eat and people-watch and not necessarily have to make conversation.

What is the difference, other than making a reservation for a table for the entire cruise, rather than making reservations between the specified times for Choice Dining?
For Dinner: IF you WANT to make a reservation in the dining room, you can do so within limits set by each ship on each sailing. Usually not during the prime hours, and sometimes only a few days in advance. But just like Freestyle dining, you can just stroll in any time the dining rooms are open, you do not need or have to make a reservation the entire cruise. Anytime works whichever way you want it to. Totally random or almost like traditional. Your choice of restaurants is the same whether you have Anytime or Traditional; with the exception that the night time dining rooms are separated by Anytime or Traditional seating, but they have the same menu and nearly identical layout and decor. For Breakfast and Lunch: Everyone has full access to all dining venues, if you want these meals in the dining room, it is usually open seating in one room.

Personal Choice dining means that you have the option to eat at any time, anywhere. :) There's a 24/7 buffet where you can find something to eat at any time of the day or night; there are the "anytime" dining rooms where you can just show up at any time you want to be seated; there is the traditional dining room with assigned early or late seatings; and there are the specialty restaurants with a small extra charge. Oh, and there is a grill out by the pool where you can get hot dogs, hamburgers, wurst, etc. And, some ships have a pizzaria as well.

You can have breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, pizza, late-night snacks, etc. in the buffet. The anytime dining rooms have the same menus as the traditional dining room. You can just show up or you can make a reservation for a particularly night before 6:30PM or from 8PM on. Some people make a reservation because there's the possibility of a wait. This refers to dinner only since there is a dining room open for breakfast and lunch that is "open" seating where you show up and you can sit by yourself or join a table with others. The traditional dining is the assigned seating with the same companions every night. The specialty restaurants offer fine dining and superior service. Not that the dining in the other dining rooms aren't "fine" dining but the specialty restaurants are a notch or two above the other dining rooms.

The bottom line is that you'll never go hungry on a Princess cruise and you'll have a variety of options on what you want to eat and where.

I too am trying to get the dining option completely figured out.

This is confusing. Freestyle, on NCL really means that you can eat anytime in the buffet, (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks all day long). You can also eat in any of the other restaurants during times they are open. Is this the same for Princess?

I am sure the explanation is simple, but for some reason, it seems to sound as though there is not that much difference between Choice and Traditional.

Please help me out here! Thanks so very much.:)

Think of eating options on Princess as NCL "Freestyle" with a Traditional dining room added. Additionally, if you favor traditional dining but didn't get assigned to the traditional dining room, you can often make a reservation in an anytime dining room for the same time with the same waiter each evening.

The Princess demographic still has more people that want traditional seating then there are seats available. You will see quite a bit of chatter on this forum that tells you how to get the look and feel of traditional dining while assigned to an anytime dining option.

The same menu is served in all main dining rooms for dinner. I understand the Baked Alaska pomp `n ceremony that occurs on one of the formal nights only takes place in the traditional dining room. The specialty dining rooms have their own specific menus.

I have never made a reservation for anytime dining but have requested a specific wait-staff team. This can lead to a short delay in getting seated but that was my choice. Otherwise, the receptionist will ask if you wish to have a table sized just for your party of if you are willing to be seated with others. (ie: a party of two at a table for two or seated at a larger table with others.)

Does this help?

Thing that were important for us in 2001 with a small child that I think deserve mention here are:

-The 24/7 buffet really has full meals all day - when we cruised Carnival for example, we noticed that the lunch buffet lasted only a couple of hours and when we got back from shore excursions at 3:30, there was only hot dog and hamburgers available - no real lunch. On Grand Princess the buffet had full lunch still going at 3:30 and later, then they'd switch sides and the dinner menu would open - you'd never be without a full meal available on the buffet. This was great as kids don't often want to eat at the "right" time and we could always feed her easially without fuss anytime!! Only after midnight does it become a bistro with restaurant service as there is no sense in wasting food all nite!! The anytime dining restaurants are only open certain peak hours for meals.

-The buffet offered about 80% of the dinner menu on the buffet in some form or another. (just not nicely plated!!) We would check the dinner menu first, then go check the buffet - we decided that about 80% of the dinner menu was on the buffet. That was good enough for us, as we didn't want to worry about feeding our picky 21 month old in the anytime dining restaurant. She would have been fine, but for us, we prefered the buffet. (hubby hates being hovered over) We ate there every single meal, except lobster night which we ordered room service lobster and steak and ate on the balcony. When a particular dessert was unavailable on the buffet (only in dining room) the buffet maitre'd went and got it for us, so I have no complaints about the service. One day we had Brunch at Sabatini's (very very nice brunch!!) with our DD and she was GREAT!!

Those are the two main reasons (food-wise) that we are sailing Princess again next month. However, with the kids being slightly older (kids club - Yeah!!), I'm hoping we'll decide to try the dining room as this SAHM WANTS to be hovered over!! ;)

Last week on the Caribbean Princess, we had Anytime Dining and really appreciated the flexibility. We like to eat early, so we were usually at one of the two Anytime Dining Rooms between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. But it was nice to know that if we were involved in some activity, we didn't have to rush to get to our "assigned" meal time. Sometimes we said we would be willing to sit at a larger table with other couples, and we made some wonderful new friends each night. Other times we wanted to dine alone and asked for a table for 2. We never had to wait for a table (even though the ship was filled to capacity). The service from the various waiters was equally wonderful, no matter which dining room we were in. Oftentimes, later in the evening, we would head to the buffet to enjoy more of some of what we had for dinner, or try something that we didn't select at dinner. We never ate at either of the two specialty restaurants, because between the dining room and the buffets, we were completely satisfied.

Archived