Advise for last minute cruise

jspang

I am considering booking a last minute cruise for mid May. Any advise from the "pros" here as to what would be the best way to do this? It's still 8 weeks out and I would like to purchase 2-3 rooms. Should we wait until something like 2 weeks prior and call RCI or should we do something now? I'm also a C&A member and we have a Nov. cruise booked too. Also, would we be better off booking the lowest price cabin and then try to do upgrades at the pier? Thanks in advance for your help!!

I don't know where you live and where you are planning to sail from. If you need to fly, don't wait too long to book. Discounted airfares are normally only available if booked a few weeks in advance. If you wait to book the cruise 2 weeks before sailing you may pay through the nose for the airfare.

Thanks, we have access to Airtran and Spirit via Detroit so airfare should be reasonable. Just not sure about the cabin reservations. Hoping for that last minute deal but maybe we should start pricing soon.

Thanks, we have access to Airtran and Spirit via Detroit so airfare should be reasonable. Just not sure about the cabin reservations. Hoping for that last minute deal but maybe we should start pricing soon.

Would not hurt. I actually got a better price on Northwest last October out of DTW. There is also Allegiant out of Lansing. I am in Ann Arbor so it's a reasonable drive.

If you Book now, your TA should be able to give you a price reduction if they come along -- I've gotten them even after final payment is due. I notice the earlier you book, the more chances you can get an X or Y fare, which I've had good luck with as far as upgrades. If you want a balcony, they go fast, if you don't care -- go with guarantee or X or Y. They can link the reservations if necessary.

We booked a cruise two weeks ago for one that leaves in two weeks from now and got a great price BUT looking at the same cruise just two weeks out the prices of the rooms went back up again and alot of the different categories are no longer available (just the suites are available). I also checked my airline reservations and the price went up $100 since I booked. I would suggest booking before 30 days out.

Hope this helps a little.

That is sort of one of those unanswerable questions. I assume that you have looked at the RCCL website and found a cruise with pricing and cabin availability that you like. I would never count on upgrades being available at the pier, ESPECIALLY for "2 or 3" cabins, most ships sail full or near full.. You can call your TA then and ask if they can beat the price you have found or offer any perks. Book or don't book with either TA or RCCL. Monitor price on your own. Book airfare, print out setsail pass, done. :)

Here is a link to RCCL's happy hour sales which are usually posted every thursday or friday. They automatically update every week from this link. They usually are for cruises which are a month to six weeks away. You must call on Tuesdays to book these cruises or on the web site I believe that they drop the prices for the day if you price them out on line with RCCL. There have been all kinds of deals lately.

enjoy

Brian J

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/

Archived