Navigator App not compatible with older Android? Since when?

DFWGUYZ

58 minutes ago, 2scandals said:

Samsung S9 has  android 10 and The App won't work on it.

Several threads on this topic. You can download a previous version of the Navigator App from the link veliw; v4.30.0 is compatible w/Android 10:

https://www.9apps.com/android-apps/Holland-America-Line-Navigator/version-history-1/

20240105_225436.thumb.jpg.0c1442fcdab54ee0b7ddf44667606aa3.jpg

20240105_225511.thumb.jpg.777468301b5cbe143c51c75091f469a2.jpg

• Like 1

Just like an in-cabin hair dryer, HAL needs to provide compatible devices for Navigator use to all passengers requesting them, if they do not nor cannot use their own personal devices.

It would save a lot of grief and the extremely long lines after embarkation since so many appear to have fatal problems linking into onboard Navigator. 

27 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Just like an in-cabin hair dryer, HAL needs to provide compatible devices for Navigator use to all passengers requesting them, if they do not nor cannot use their own personal devices.

It would save a lot of grief and the extremely long lines after embarkation since so many appear to have fatal problems linking into onboard Navigator. 

I gotta try this with Microsoft. They discontinued updates on Windows 7 in 2020. I hope I can get them to provide me with a new surface pro. 

• Haha 4

The HAL Navigator app was the fourth app to no long update on DW's Samsung8 phone last year before she finally broke down and upgraded to a new Samsung phone. (of course, my older iPhone6 just keeps on updating.)

In the long run using an older version of the app is only a short term fix.

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked the old quill and foolscap days myself. Vacations are for relaxing, not staying on top of constant  changes in technology are requirements to buy new devices and programs.  

(Grumpf)

The ONLY feature we kind of appreciated using the Navigator was viewing the menus at our leisure for MDR at our and Lido online, instead of reading them posted outside the dining venues.  Before we just ignored the daily menus, and waited until we arrived to see what was offered.

We liked the tear out sheet of daily activities folded and carried in a pocket. And the paper based reservation and ticketing system for shore excursions. Yes, that as a lot of wasted paper and staff time.

So digital improvements can be valuable. But not at the cost of all this device compatibility  hassles to start each cruise.   Ergo, make a pre-loaded WORKING device to use onboard available HAL, and we can meet you half way. 

On 8/5/2023 at 12:36 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

You can sideload older versions of HAL's app directly to your phone that is compatible with the last version of Android OS your device is capable of running.  Here is an apk site that I use. 

https://apkpure.com/holland-america-line-navigator/com.hollandamerica.navigator.moapp/versions

Scott. 

I used this process to get my 5 year old Samsung phone to load the app = but then started having other issues with the phone so got a new one.