First time Cunard ... and maybe last time ?!

ajpeter

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The link is an addition to professional training

I have no idea what the training is for Cunard staff but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include a degree in the psychology of passenger/staff interaction.

Bottom line.

The staff are professional. Some know passengers from previous cruises and interact with them accordingly. That does not detract from the level of service or attention offered to others.It is 'as well as'.

Interacting as Bellboy said with the staff, helps to be remembered. If you can't see this as an addition to the normal level of professional attention, then I am wasting my time.

Training used to be undertaken at the White Star Academy; not sure if it still exists but here’s a link to what prospective recruits can expect https://www.cunardcareers.co.uk/life-at-cunard/ (HH, I hope that link doesn't breach any forum rules)

1 hour ago, alc13 said:

I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience.  For what it's worth, we've had a couple of disappointing experiences in QG - one with a butler and one with a maitre d'.  Fortunately both experiences were one-offs, and didn't lessen our preference for Cunard over the other lines we've tried.

It hasn't lessen our preference for Cunard just personally don't think QG is value for money and think Princess Grill is a better sweet spot for us and far better value money.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:08 PM, Windsurfboy said:

I don't think you are blinkered or partisan. But is it worth considering that as a very regular Q.V. passenger,  as you say one of the family.  This coupled with being in  Q1. Then in QG everyone is equal but perhaps some are more equal than others.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, Victoria2 said:

At the risk of being shot down as being blinkered and partisan, were we on the same ship?

Are tables in QG assigned based on loyalty or the suite?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I am probably one of the few who can answer this definitively.

You have one QG trip under your belt and of course you are entitled to your own opinion based on very limited experience. I however have many more than one cruise and in cabins Q5 up to Q1.

Our first trip was in a Q5. We had the large table in the auspicious [not] area by the kitchen doors but had the good fortune to meet lovely couples, one pair who were in a Q1 and with whom we linked up on quite  a few subsequent cruises. Great table by dint of our fellow diners.

After that, our table for eight was in 'the bubble', still a Q5 and 'only'  silver passengers.The service still impeccable.

I can assure you, the only 'special' treatment we got as we 'climbed the numerical ladder' was the confidence that 'our' table choice would materialise and once 'at the top', our cabin would be serviced at the time of our choosing.

If that's your preferential service definition, then so be it.

Victoria2, you mentioned being with a table of 6 on your first QG cruise.    If one is a first time Cunard cruiser and in a Royal suite, a table for "only" two is not possible?

29 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

That's an interesting question.  Whenever I have mentioned loyalty status in QG they don't seem interested.  Perhaps it's the same in all the restaurants.  They say it is all to do with when you booked, but I can't believe cabin category doesn't comes into the mix.

On our recent B2B to New York in QG there were no numbers on the tables. On arrival at the podium on the first day the relief  Maitre d' fiddled with his computer and instructed a waiter to take us to a particular table..  We were one of the first in the restaurant and we were taken to an area where there were five tables of two in a row and the last one was up against the wall.  The other tables in the row were occupied and each was served in turn from the centre of the room to the wall.  Could it be a coincidence in an empty restaurant we all turned up in turn in this one row from the centre of the restaurant to the wall.  It seemed quite strange at the time.

With no numbers on the tables gives the Maitre d' much power in allocation by seeing whether he likes you, perhaps what nationality you might be and whether you are known to him - the so called family/club factor.Does it matter, I don't know.  It did at the time and we asked to be moved but that's another story mentioned elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Victoria2, you mentioned being with a table of 6 on your first QG cruise.    If one is a first time Cunard cruiser and in a Royal suite, a table for "only" two is not possible?

6 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

I answered, but don't know where it's gone.so here's a brief reply.

Basically, I have no absolute knowledge but we asked for and got large tables per Covid and now ask for tables for two.

One would hope cabin grade would come into play first as far as table choices are concerned for the top grades. I think a Q3 on Mary would count as one of the top grades and if she follows QV's table layout post Covid, the majority of the tables will be two tops anyway. I know where the table areas are on QV for the 1s and 2s, but I don't know Mary, so I have no idea where the favoured table positions are  in the restaurant so I'll leave that to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

I should have perhaps mentioned in the previous post that a long time ago there was a card in your cabin which you took to the restaurant and the card had a table number on it.

and the tables are still numbered on QV and we still get the table assignment  card waiting for us in the cabin.

• Like 1

Interesting! In Princess Grill last week, on the same three-night cruise as the original poster, the tables were numbered, but the cabin cards were not - we were simply instructed to arrive at the restaurant and we would be seated.

Given the speed and smoothness with which we were seated, I suspect the table had been preallocated (or at least a pool identified from which ours was the next in the list), but I do think it creates an impression of ‘up for grabs’ that cannot be realistic when there are overlapping bookable cruise lengths such as those that have occurred with QVs recent itineraries.

I imagine the black art of table allocation must involve a descending order of prioritisation based on the elements mentioned previously (grade, party size, known personalities, possibly loyalty level) but I suspect passengers on longer cruises are fitted in first and the shorter lengths are slotted in around them so as to minimise disruption/allow for tables to be moved for subsequent voyages. I don’t envy the Maitre’D this job one bit!

Anyway, assuming the OP had the same experience we did, with the invitation not indicating that tables even WERE numbered or pre-assigned, I can see how the OP could quite legitimately have thought ‘oh, lovely, I can turn up and ask’ in the same way one might do so in a restaurant on land. 

On another note, I personally found the service levels on V320C to be just as good as I’ve experienced in any grade on any Cunard ship on this voyage, but I’m a serial ‘shortie’ taker - so maybe I’m missing out on the rapport of a longer voyage! I’ll find out on QA next year. I have no complaints to date!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

and the tables are still numbered on QV and we still get the table assignment  card waiting for us in the cabin.

Interesting!  On QM-2 a couple of weeks ago we had the QG restaurant invitation card in the cabin with no table number on it and there were no numbers on the tables the whole time we were on the voyage.

• Thanks 1

but the cabin cards were not - we were simply instructed to arrive at the restaurant and we would be seated.

Good point re table position expectaqtion of the op. Our cards assigned us to the QG but I will hold my hands up and say I didn't read it after opening envelope and seeing what it was so actual table number might/might not have been on it.

6 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Interesting!  On QM-2 a couple of weeks ago we had the QG restaurant invitation card in the cabin with no table number on it and there were no numbers on the tables the whole time we were on the voyage.

My long reply which I must have deleted instead of posting [clumsy fingers] mentioned your comprehensive post #80 and the fact Mary and Victoria had different protocols.

Edited by Victoria2
incorrect post number

17 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I answered, but don't know where it's gone.so here's a brief reply.

Basically, I have no absolute knowledge but we asked for and got large tables per Covid and now ask for tables for two.

One would hope cabin grade would come into play first as far as table choices are concerned for the top grades. I think a Q3 on Mary would count as one of the top grades and if she follows QV's table layout post Covid, the majority of the tables will be two tops anyway. I know where the table areas are on QV for the 1s and 2s, but I don't know Mary, so I have no idea where the favoured table positions are  in the restaurant so I'll leave that to others.

15 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

My long reply which I must have deleted instead of posting [clumsy fingers] mentioned your comprehensive post #80 and the fact Mary and Victoria had different protocols.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Hi,we too have been told NO to a window seat and we have sailed many times with Cunard in the Queens,friends told us to get up there as soon as we board,which we did do last time but still told no,so I'm guessing it's either the suite you are in or how many times you have sailed with them,our next cruise puts us into platinum,so we'll see 🤨

1 hour ago, jaypo63 said:

Hi,we too have been told NO to a window seat and we have sailed many times with Cunard in the Queens,friends told us to get up there as soon as we board,which we did do last time but still told no,so I'm guessing it's either the suite you are in or how many times you have sailed with them,our next cruise puts us into platinum,so we'll see 🤨

We are diamond status and cruised many times in QG but in the Q5 Q6 grades because we love being at the aft of the ship we were first in the queue for lunch when we embarked in April and asked for a window table but were told they all been allocated so we assume it’s got to be the cabin grade your in.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We are diamond status and cruised many times in QG but in the Q5 Q6 grades because we love being at the aft of the ship we were first in the queue for lunch when we embarked in April and asked for a window table but were told they all been allocated so we assume it’s got to be the cabin grade your in.

Ah ok,we love the suites at the aft too,they are always the ones we go into,nothing nicer than sitting on the big balcony watching the sea ☺️ well, I won't be changing my cabin anytime soon just for a window seat at dinner,many thanks for your reply x

• Like 2

Really, now I want to know how it's decided.  On our Japan trip in April we thought we might get a window, based on stateroom grade and loyalty status.  But we were seated one table in from the window.  Then it turned out that the couple next to the window were continuing on the 2nd leg of a longer cruise; they asked to be moved to a window table after the first leg and were accommodated.  So asking sometimes works.  

I was in QG on last December's QM2 transatlantic to New York and I witnessed another passenger kick off big time to the maitre d (I think his name was Osman). She was saying that she should be entitled to a window table, or at least in the sections by the windows (not the area to the right as you enter and walk down the main corridor). The maitre d politely but firmly said that most grades were Q5 or Q6 (like her's) and that they did not get priority for the best tables. She persisted for a good 5 minutes but he stood firm. We were Q5 and were in the windowless section, which was fine. I did ask to move our first table as it was 'end of terrace' by a dividing wall to the service corridor and I didn't want to feel trapped with just one other couple to talk to. This was handled efficiently by Osman. I absolutely loved the QG restaurant and ate there for almost every meal. I even enjoyed dining alone for lunch as my partner skipped lunches.

Just recently I booked a Q5 on the Queen Anne for a section of her world cruise. I was surprised to be asked by the Cunard booking agent if I would like a window table in the QG restaurant. I said yes. Looking at the deck plan there is a much higher ratio of window tables on the QA so maybe he could secure it. However I am not holding my breath.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 1:36 AM, ajpeter said:

This short cruise was a getting to know Cunard and especially the Queen Victoria, with its white glove service, the queens grill restaurant and the queen level cabins. Would we like spending a longer time on her, like half a world cruise?

I'll start with the pros:

The food was of good quality and taste.

Liked the Queens Room and the ballroom dancing.

It is a bigger ship then we are used to, which gives multiple places to go to.

The daily programm gives an extensive choice of entertainment and activities.

good size balcony with nice,comfortable furniture

then the cons:

Service in the queens grill restaurant is inconsisted and at times unprofessional.

The Penthouse suite has an idiotic lay-out with a triangle bathroom jutting into the suite which gives it a cramped feeling instead of a spacious feeling a higher level cabin should have. One keeps unavoidably bumping into doors and corners.

One get's a fixed table for the whole duration of the cruise. A request for a window table was answered with NO, not possible.

On one evening I hadn't pre ordered my choice of food. Very politely I asked the maitre d' if I could maybe have one of the meat dishes from the special menu if any was left. The answer I got was: '...are you taking the mickey out of me !', I was so shocked I asked again. He went to ask the kitchen and came back with the following: there is chateau briand left, but it might take until midnight untill you get it ! Even the people sitting at the tables around us nearly fell of there seats. How inappropriate.

The ship is definitely understaffed.

Post covid times in all hospitality places are a struggle, I am well aware of that. But if you ask top prices you should make sure you can handle the demand to a good standard. Queens Grill level isn't cheap and one should expect first class service, experienced staff, good sized and comfortable cabins and that little bit of extra that makes a travel experience great.

To sum it up; no, we cannot imagine to be on the Queen Victoria for a longer period of time like the half of the world cruise we had in mind. We might consider an atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary2 in the future.

Wishing all of you happy sailings

Give Cunard  another go, this was your experience and entitled to say what happened on your  voyage. My wife and I sailed on the Q E March past and had a few hiccups, we spoke to staff higher up the ladder and had a wonderful trip.  Our experience with Cunard is if you are not happy speak up, their wonderful staff in our experience get things done and fast! Now we meet people who appear not happy and I am not saying that about you, but it is easier to complain than get off your butt and be proactive.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, ajpeter said:

The Penthouse suite has an idiotic lay-out with a triangle bathroom jutting into the suite which gives it a cramped feeling instead of a spacious feeling a higher level cabin should have. One keeps unavoidably bumping into doors and corners.

It seems people either love or hate the Q4s on the QE and QV. We recently had a 10-day Alaska cruise on the QE. I am not going to give my opinion of the suite as it is irrelevant. But I will mention two facts.

With the bathroom divided it is convenient for one person to linger in the shower or whirlpool bath and the other person can have privacy in the other half that has the toilet and sink.

The suite is partially divided into the sleeping and sitting areas. So when my wife had her usual afternoon nap the heavy curtain could be drawn. I had access to the bathroom, the bar area and the balcony without disturbing her. 

• Like 4