Menus on board a world cruise

exiledowl

Hello everyone, our world cruise starts in late December and is split into 6 sections, but we have found that most of the passengers are, like us, on board for the full duration. 

What I would like to ask the community is for their previous experience of the food on board during a world cruise. 

Is it likely to be the case that there will be some kind of "revolving menu" where everything is different for a few weeks and then returns to the beginning again?

Or do the chefs try to serve food that reflects the part of the world that the ship is passing through, and also pick up supplies locally?

We have been on British and German ships in the past few years, but only in northern Europe and the food on board was generally made to suit perceived national tastes.

Very interested to hear anyone's experiences here.

This might also depend on the cruise line you are on. On my World Cruise on Costa for 128 days naturally items on the menu were repeated but not the menu itself. Also there were quite a few standard menu items, which were available every day if you did not like anything else on the menu, like grilled Salmon or grilled Chicken breast. This Staple Menu was listed on side of the regular menu at lunch and dinner. Also there were dishes reflecting the area we were traveling in and some nice Asian dishes. For example there were quite a number of Asian dishes on the buffet for lunch, the Spring rolls being one of my favorites. And being Costa there was great Italian Cuisine. I am sure you will not have to worry about going hungry or being bored with your choices.

They do pick up supplies in the ports passing through like for example sometimes we might not have plain yogurt only yogurt with fruits or vanilla, looks like the plain yogurt turned out more popular then they expected. But we never run out of fresh fruits, chocolate croissants or smoked salmon for breakfast, very important to me.

The menu rotation depends on the cruise line. Our 2015 Princess World Cruise, the menus were repeated on each segment.

On our 2020 Viking World Cruise, we never received the same menu. Yes, some dishes were repeated, but that is to be expected.

We had different menus every night on the 2019 and 2023 Hal WC. Some dishes were repeated, but never the entire menu. And they had a handful of “always available” entrees. I looked forward  to repeats of my favorite desserts and entrees. They weren’t on the menu often enough for me. 

• Like 2

Thank you to all of you for your advice. 

I've actually been tracking our ship , MS Amera from Phoenix reisen in Germany, on its last 2 and current cruise and checking the menu each day and the food offered is following the revolving pattern I mentioned in my original post.

Hopefully on a world rather than a regional cruise we'll get different dishes to reflect some of the exotic destinations!

10 hours ago, exiledowl said:

Thank you to all of you for your advice. 

I've actually been tracking our ship , MS Amera from Phoenix reisen in Germany, on its last 2 and current cruise and checking the menu each day and the food offered is following the revolving pattern I mentioned in my original post.

Hopefully on a world rather than a regional cruise we'll get different dishes to reflect some of the exotic destinations!

HAL definitely incorporated regional cuisine on the World Cruises in many ports.

12 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

HAL definitely incorporated regional cuisine on the World Cruises in many ports.

I'm looking forward to something similar sandiego 1, but like you I had some favourites on our shorter cruises , often appearing on the same evening. 

In such cases I'm not afraid to say I ended up pigging out on 2 main dishes in the buffet restaurant 

7 hours ago, exiledowl said:

In such cases I'm not afraid to say I ended up pigging out on 2 main dishes in the buffet restaurant 

If you want to you can also order 2 main dishes in the Main Dining room. We have been sitting with 2 gentlemen a few times on a HAL open dining cruise and between them they would select 5 deserts every evening, that encouraged me, to also sometimes pick 2 deserts. I just love deserts only once in a while will prepare them at home. Main dishes I wouldn't manage 😄😁😄

10 hours ago, exiledowl said:

I'm looking forward to something similar sandiego 1, but like you I had some favourites on our shorter cruises , often appearing on the same evening. 

In the MDR, with 2 of my favourites dishes on the menu, I've been known to order one as an appy and the other as a main course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oceania 180 ATW, Menu was not generally repeated, except in the specialty Italian and  steakhouse restaurants. Indeed, our chef would go ashore and buy local foodstuffs and play his menu off what was available. 

• Thanks 2