Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

7 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

What made you decide to do NCL?  What do you love about RCL? What parts make you nervous?

We chose NCL because we always vacation the last week in October (our anniversary) and they were the only line doing Alaska at that time. Afraid I won't like the ship, the layout, the food. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, depplep said:

We chose NCL because we always vacation the last week in October (our anniversary) and they were the only line doing Alaska at that time. Afraid I won't like the ship, the layout, the food. 

Got it.  The Encore is a sister ship to the Bliss, (have been on bliss, but not encore) both were built with cruising Alaska in mind.  They tried to optimize public viewing (space and window), and did a very good job.  There is room for all to see.  Truly.  We do a balcony, and the glacier day  we actually will spend it on our balcony.  A ranger is brought on board that they will broadcast through your cabin tv on the ship channel.  (DH always sets us up, so I don’t know which channel).  I go get us drinks/snacks, and we enjoy the day.

the encore will have Spice H2O.  This is an adults only outdoor area with a dedicated bar, hot tubs…no one under 18 allowed.

we preferred dinning in taste or savor.  Encore will have 3 MDR, Taste and Savor being 2 of them. (Imagine they split azure on the jewel in half) They are bit more casually dressed and a bit smaller than the remaining one.  Usually never a wait, and there is a bar between them if there is.

The local (updated O’sheehans) is your pub food.  There is also the district Brewhouse. No food, but a great bar/pub space.

I have to admit that we don’t have direct knowledge of the specialty dining on this class of ship.  We have done them on the smaller ships and I can’t imagine they are all that different.  Cagney is our favorite.  We love a good steak. We also like teppanyaki, and Moderna (Brazilian).  We d like simple hearty food, so the frou frou places are often lost on us.  In addition, I have a shellfish allergy, so I pay attention.   If you like seafood, I hear OceanBlue is fantastic.

we love the melting cake, you have a 50/50 shot on it actually being melting.  But delicious anyway.  I have never left hungry, so we are not unhappy with the food.  We may get something we don’t like, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t good.  Just not for us.

the ships size and layout, will most like being smaller than what you are used to, with a passenger capacity of around 4200, but that is the most we like. There are no forward elevators, so if you are relying on them, use the aft elevators, as the midship ones are always busy.

we are making out second journey on the Bliss in 2025, so I’m looking forward to revisiting many of these.  Hope this helps.

• Like 6