E sim - anyone tried them?

I'm going on the Eastern Explorer 2 cruise on Discovery 2 next March. Been thinking about an internet package on ship to keep in touch with home and have seen in the cruise extras section of my booking an option to get an E SIM. Looking at the website from the link it looks like you need a separate E SIM for each country and no mention of being able to use it while at sea.

Has anyone gone down this route? Am I best getting an internet package onboard? Or has that option been withdrawn and Tui are pushing you to use an ESIM  instead?  

e-sim would only be for mobile data on land at the various places you stop (or near enough to land for a signal).it won’t work at sea as you can only connect to maritime networks which are very expensive. If won’t connect to ships internet - it’s mobile data only.

I think you would be best to get a mobile package from your current supplier that includes all the countries you are visiting - e.g Vodafone allow you to use your uk data package allowance overseas depending on contract but you can get an extra one off package for n-days for countries not covered by your existing contract.

this is simpler and probably cheaper than an e-sim for just checking in back home.

ships internet packages that I have used are very poor and expensive.

I just wait until the next port of call and then use mobile data like you would in the uk.

In emergencies at sea if you need WiFi just get a pass for that day or part of that day.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a Tesco PAYG sim, 5000 texts, 5000 calls and 10 gb of data. £10 and it will last 30 days. Ok so I will be using the phone number it came with but I’ve let everyone know that number. Sky charge £2 for every 24 hours roaming so I had a potential bill of £30 using them. Simply change the sim back when we get home.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, shot2bits said:

I bought a Tesco PAYG sim, 5000 texts, 5000 calls and 10 gb of data. £10 and it will last 30 days. Ok so I will be using the phone number it came with but I’ve let everyone know that number. Sky charge £2 for every 24 hours roaming so I had a potential bill of £30 using them. Simply change the sim back when we get home.

Look at ID mobile, it uses the 3 network and £10 per month on a 30 day rolling contract gets you unlimited calls and texts and 10 gig internet which rolls over each month also keep your old number.

plus Europe roaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just activated an airalo esim with not much problem (they respond to queries immediately). I have done this because Jordan, Israel (although no longer going there!) and Egypt are not included with my O2 package even when extending it for non Eu areas. Reasonable cost for data only - so ok for what’sapp, email, newspaper downloads etc - in theory - will advise later how it works in practice.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

While you can't use it at sea, e-sims could be useful for those visiting multiple ports in multiple countries. e.g. For a Far East Cruise, Airalo does regional e-sim 14 countries 5Gb for $20 for 30 days.

Martin Lewis money saving expert has a full guide to using esims

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/what-is-an-esim/

• 3 weeks later...

I can now report our Airalo esim was brilliant. Easy to use as soon as we got close enough to land. Used In Turkey and in Egypt from while approaching Port Said, during the canal transit and later when in port. Also similarly in Oman.

Also advised several crew members of the benefits! Much, much cheaper than ships WiFi but obviously no good when ship offshore and, note, data only. So good for WhatsApp etc and downloads of papers, emails, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We always buy a ships internet package. It has always been OK for us, We can use whatsapp to message and call whilst at sea as it uses data for all communications. Just have to remember to log out at the end of each session.

We have also got world roamer on our mobile packages (O2 & vodafone), with helps whilst in port.

• 4 weeks later...