Refund in different form than payment?

If I wanted to cancel something I purchased on the Planner, but paid with a credit card months ago that I no longer have, could I call them and get them to refund it in OBC? Or does the refund HAVE to go back to the original payment form? If that's the case, I'll just keep the item and not even worry about canceling it. But figured it was worth looking into. (Yes I know I can call and ask, but before I bother, thought I'd ask the "experts" in case anyone else has done this)

26 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

If I wanted to cancel something I purchased on the Planner, but paid with a credit card months ago that I no longer have, could I call them and get them to refund it in OBC? Or does the refund HAVE to go back to the original payment form? If that's the case, I'll just keep the item and not even worry about canceling it. But figured it was worth looking into. (Yes I know I can call and ask, but before I bother, thought I'd ask the "experts" in case anyone else has done this)

Very intersting question! I have that problem with a deposit - that was done LOOONG time ago but CC is now dead! Wonder how I will get my monex back?!

Maybe @Ourusualbeach has any experince how to get the refund to a differnt CC or a FCC?

11 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Very intersting question! I have that problem with a deposit - that was done LOOONG time ago but CC is now dead! Wonder how I will get my monex back?!

Maybe @Ourusualbeach has any experince how to get the refund to a differnt CC or a FCC?

Roysl has a set policy it follows regardless of whether you tell them the card is long gone.

They must first try to refund to the original card.  Then you wait.  After a while you call back and once the money has either been rejected or returned by the bank or credit card company they will issue you a refund.   I know they can then issue a cheque, not sure if they will process to a different card or not.

If you are in that situation the easiest thing to do is have yhe money transferred to a different booking.  I know as a TA they allow us to do that, not sure about consumers who book direct.

• Like 2

Depending on what the item is, it's possible to cancel when you board the ship and it will go to obc automatically. You'd need to be mindful of cut-off dates, though, for excursions.

I have done this in the past with voom.

16 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

I've been informed in another forum that if I call,it will get refunded to the card,which means I'd have to wait for the cc company to then cut me a check since I no longer have an account with them. Apparently I can try to do it onboard and they may give me OBC

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

Depending on what the item is, it's possible to cancel when you board the ship and it will go to obc automatically. You'd need to be mindful of cut-off dates, though, for excursions.

I have done this in the past with voom.

Yeah that seems to be the best option. I'll check when we board, it's an excursion that we are fine doing or not doing..so it's not a big deal either way, just thinking maybe a nice specialty dinner would be nice rather than another beach day

1 minute ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Yeah that seems to be the best option. I'll check when we board, it's an excursion that we are fine doing or not doing..so it's not a big deal either way, just thinking maybe a nice specialty dinner would be nice rather than another beach day

As long as it's not on the first two days you should be fine. I think excursions need to be cancelled a minimum of 48 hours in advance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Roysl has a set policy it follows regardless of whether you tell them the card is long gone.

Do you know if they will use the LAST card used for payment?

I'm thinking of adding another $50 to the booking with a current card - so the last card on file is active.....

I have 10 more motnh to figue it out - before I need to cancel....

5 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I've been informed in another forum that if I call,it will get refunded to the card,which means I'd have to wait for the cc company to then cut me a check since I no longer have an account with them. Apparently I can try to do it onboard and they may give me OBC

Yes but that would not work in my case - I'm cancelling the cruise and need the deposit back!

9 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Do you know if they will use the LAST card used for payment?

I'm thinking of adding another $50 to the booking with a current card - so the last card on file is active.....

I have 10 more motnh to figue it out - before I need to cancel....

I've had them match payments to cards and refund multiple cards for one cancellation. 

• Like 2

My mother-in-law gives us those AmEx prepaid cards for Xmas and birthdays. I was using them towards a 2020 cruise that I booked in 2018. Well, even after lift and shift, my husband wasn't comfortable going so we canceled. They refunded everything to the original cards...including the AmEx cards. When I didn't see the full amount in my account, I remembered. Talked to Royal and was told nothing could be done as money is refunded to the original form of payment and to contact AmEx. Of course, I no longer had the cards as this is now like 3 years after booking the cruise. Lesson learned. I'll never use prepaid cards to pay for a cruise again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fla33023 said:

My mother-in-law gives us those AmEx prepaid cards for Xmas and birthdays. I was using them towards a 2020 cruise that I booked in 2018. Well, even after lift and shift, my husband wasn't comfortable going so we canceled. They refunded everything to the original cards...including the AmEx cards. When I didn't see the full amount in my account, I remembered. Talked to Royal and was told nothing could be done as money is refunded to the original form of payment and to contact AmEx. Of course, I no longer had the cards as this is now like 3 years after booking the cruise. Lesson learned. I'll never use prepaid cards to pay for a cruise again.

Did you try contacting them again? Amex sure gave them the money back.....