Better to Cancel Cruise or be a No Show

Am within 60 days of cruise and room mate has to cancel for reasons beyond insurance.  Since that persons money is forfeited is it better to cancel them from the room or just have them be a no show on embarkation day?  I suspect if  they cancel there will be no refund/FCC. If I try to use a DP340 as a solo it would be based on the current rate which is over $1000 than originally paid.  I'm thinking just call it a no show and I would get double points at some point after the cruise.  Thoughts?

TIA

DDawg

I don't know if you'll get the points and I've never done this with Royal, but I did do it with NCL and it all worked out. I just let the other person be a no-show. The other person's tax/port charges were refunded and none of the cruise fare was. The port agent asked where, when, if the other person would be on the cruise and I just said I didn't know (in this case, I really didn't know for sure). Maybe someone else with knowledge of Royal's policy can help more here.

• Like 1

I'm in this same position with a cruise in October.   Not sure if 14 year old granddaughter can go.  Called  RCCL 3 times on Saturday.   First person said no problem,  just no refund  (except taxes and fees).  2nd person said we'd be charged an extra $2500 as they would have to rebook just me and my husband.   3rd time I called,  we were told just to let her be a no show.  Go figure. 

2 minutes ago, gamecock411 said:

I'm in this same position with a cruise in October.   Not sure if 14 year old granddaughter can go.  Called  RCCL 3 times on Saturday.   First person said no problem,  just no refund  (except taxes and fees).  2nd person said we'd be charged an extra $2500 as they would have to rebook just me and my husband.   3rd time I called,  we were told just to let her be a no show.  Go figure. 

Mine is same for October and within 60 days.  Not sure why they'd charge you $2200 unless you change rooms/categories based on current prices.  Port Fees/Taxes were a gimmie but figured the base price is history.  One person mentioned I'd probably not get the extra double points which I understand.  Not a problem as got over 1300.  Seams like no show most logical route.  I may end up with 3 cruises (got 2 now) in Oct so might run into you as some point. Good luck.

DDawg