First cruise with HAL Zaandam 29 July 23 august

lissie

Just got off our first ever. HAL cruise Boston - Maritimes- Greenland - Iceland return. 

We’ve previously only cruised Cunards Queen Elizabeth- we chose HAL for the itinerary 

overall we had a great cruise . Every port was fantastic with the exception of Bar Harbor . We had a lot of tender ports but we never waited more than 10 min at peak times with the exception of Bar Harbor . 

Bar Harbor there was nothing to do and I’m glad we didn’t spend the money to go to Arcadia park as those who did said it was crazy busy too . There was nothing to do I town except eat and buy tourist tat . We did have a good lobster roll at the dog and pony pub .

the only time we did a HAL excursion was St Antony’s as we badly wanted to go to L’anse drs meadows and we couldn’t find a rental car . We hired cars in corner brook and Sydney . In Iceland we did a couple of local tours . The highlight for me was snorkeling between the continental plates - not for everyone - getting into dry suits is no joke but it was fantastic 

Iceland has an excellent tourist infrastructure and there is zero reason to pay the premium that Hal charges for the same tours . It is expensive though . 

Greenland again Hal was charging double for iceberg tours - we went on a small boat - only 4 of us - and our about $100 - cash only - the atm took no fee . Again a fanatic trip 

We liked the Zaandam in general . Unfortunately the singers weren’t that gear (the musicians were- but the female singers in the ocean bar were the issue) . The dance company was fantastic but under used - only did 4 shows in 25 days . 

the food was ok - surprisingly the same in the mdr as the lido so we often ate in the Lido . There were some themed nights - which were nice . 

the drinks prices were as expected the lack of range of cocktails was a big negative compared to Cunard - we didn’t have a drinks package and paid as we went given the number of ports this was cheaper 

we had booked an inside bar n deck 1 but we were upgraded to ocean view on deck 3 when ch we liked - huge storage bit a small room 

• Like 9

Thank you for your report!  I have yet to make it to Greenland.  I have read mixed reviews from pax on other lines, either full of praise about the striking scenery, or bad luck with  terrible  fog or storms their whole trip where they saw very little at a not so little price. 

Other than going to the crowded and sometimes foggy Acadia Park (best visited on a land tour, I think), one relaxing activity some cruisers might enjoy on a reasonably decent weather day is DIY walking the 1.5 mile Bar Harbor shore path in and out and/or spending some time on the benches along the way, and gazing at the historic homes.

I loved it on a solo HAL cruise four years ago, but I'm not looking for super active excursions anymore .  First I feasted on lobster rolls at a sit down 50's style restaurant in town, then worked off some of my calories with a stroll on that scenic  path (link below).  I bought  my dessert in town and ate it on one of the benches on the way while soaking up the sun and maritime scenery and snapping photos, then walked back.  It makes for a nice half-day excursion. 

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/maine/walk-ride-shore-path-me/

However, this port  may become moot for HAL pax because last fall Bar Harbor citizens voted to ban allowing cruise ships to disgorge more than 1000 passengers.  Local businesses sued and  the case went to trial in federal court in July but I'm not sure what happened after that (if anyone does know the outcome, please advise). 

• Like 1