New Review of Hebridean Princess from "Quirky Cruise" Site

jimdee3636

A question I have about the cruises that start in Oban: how exactly do you get there? If I'm starting from the U.S. and flying to LHR, then what? It looks like Glasgow is the nearest major city to Oban, but it's about 100 miles away and there doesn't seem to be any direct air connection between the two places. There's no way I'd rent a car (I'm not going to risk my life trying to drive on the left side of the road), so is taxi service the only way to get there? If so, it would make an already-expensive trip a prohibitively-expensive one.

Thanks for any insights and suggestions.

Jim

• Like 1

If you're considering this type of cruise, I suggest you also look at Noble Caledonia.  Their cruises that start from Oban include a transfer from the Glasgow airport or train station.

Whichever cruise you book, if you can add on a few days pre-cruise you can take the train from Glasgow to Oban and enjoy the traditional music scene there [at Oban Inn, and Ceilidh at The View – see Rick Steves Scotland for sightseeing, eating and sleeping ideas]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

A question I have about the cruises that start in Oban: how exactly do you get there? If I'm starting from the U.S. and flying to LHR, then what? It looks like Glasgow is the nearest major city to Oban, but it's about 100 miles away and there doesn't seem to be any direct air connection between the two places. There's no way I'd rent a car (I'm not going to risk my life trying to drive on the left side of the road), so is taxi service the only way to get there? If so, it would make an already-expensive trip a prohibitively-expensive one.

Thanks for any insights and suggestions.

Jim

I've done five cruises with Hebridean and I can tell you that when the cruises start in Oban, they pick you up at either the airport or the train station in Glasgow and take you to Oban by bus.  They also take you back to Glasgow after the cruise is over.  Same thing when a cruise starts in Greenock or Inverness.  They pick you up at a meeting point and take you to and from the port.  Last trip we did was out of Invergordon.  We met at a hotel in Inverness.  Then everyone gets piped in by a bagpiper, couple by couple.  ❤️

It's all very civilized!  In fact, they usually bring a snack hamper for the ride up and back, and they will stop for a bathroom break.  I'm long overdue for another cruise on Princess.

Edited by knotheadusc
  • Like 1

Oh... and one other thing.  I did have the misfortune of needing to take a cab back to Glasgow after a cruise that ended in Oban.  I got a stomach virus and didn't want to expose other people on the bus.  Hebridean actually PAID for the cab ride back.  I think it was about 200 GBP.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am also from the US, I am flying to Glasgow via Heathrow. Once you book, Hebridean will provide a questionnaire and you can indicate whether or not you want free coach service to and from Glasgow central rail station or Glasgow airport.

the Oban option suggested above sounds great if you have the time!