Sting Ray city

Mncadguy

We are taking the Princess excursion to sting ray city and island highlights. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was safe to leave your cameras, princess cards ect... on the excursions boat while swimming? If not what to do with them? I have though about just leaving the digital camera on ship and placing my card and money in a ziplock type bag and put in my zippered swimsuit pocket. We have a waterproof disposible camera.

Also if anyone has done this excusion did you enjoy it? Thanks in advance :cool:

We've taken the sting ray city trip several times using Princess chartered tours. There are bins to put your stuff in, and sometimes the crew will let you put more expensive cameras up higher on the center console. I believe the staff is bonded, and certainly try to keep in Princess' good graces by treating passengers and valuables with repect. These are "dive boats" where all the seats have storage underneath. We usually put our stuff (watches, glasses) in our shoes but some time ago bought an underwater case that fits cruise cards, ID's and money, and is on a lanyard. We got ours from the dive "shop" on board ship - look for the snorkeling/scuba lessons in the Princess Patter.

We recommend you buy or bring your underwater camera (we usually get one at our grocery before leaving on the cruise), as you can get some great shots of the sting rays and each other. Sting Ray City is a great experience. You can usually stand and enjoy the experience - or go in whole heartedly for that underwater feel. Water is ~ 4 feet, bottom is sandy, and you never really get more than about 20-25 feet away from the boat.

We did the Island Highlights and Sting Ray City tour through Princess, but it was not swimming with the Sting Rays. We went on a boat to get to another boat already anchored. It had a glass bottom and you sat on benches and watched as the diver fed the Sting Rays. This was very cool since my dh does not like to swim.

Sting Ray City is not to be missed, and safe. You should have no worry about leaving things on board the boat; you never get that far from it. Leave things in your shoes, in the bin beneath your seat, covered by a towel, or whatever. The water is shallow, you'll wade among the sting rays as they swarm around you, wanting to be fed. Its so.... cool.

I did this tour just last week. I think there is some confusion here. Stingray City is not swimming with the stingrays. It is a semi-sub which you board and watch the stingrays from inside. You never get wet at all. A launch takes you from the dock to the boat. You will certainly want your camera with you. I think some of the posters are confusing this with the sandbar excursion where you do indeed get into the water with the stingrays. StingrayCity is some distance from the sandbar. We could see it off in the distance. Be sure you know what you want.

I did this tour just last week. I think there is some confusion here. Stingray City is not swimming with the stingrays. It is a semi-sub which you board and watch the stingrays from inside. You never get wet at all. A launch takes you from the dock to the boat. You will certainly want your camera with you. I think some of the posters are confusing this with the sandbar excursion where you do indeed get into the water with the stingrays. StingrayCity is some distance from the sandbar. We could see it off in the distance. Be sure you know what you want.

I assume the OP was referring to GC Stringray City. I do not know of any other. Here is where we went, and it was a wading experience. Snorkels ok, but they did not want you to use fins (stepping on the rays). It think with the increase cruise ship traffic at GC, it will be more crowded than it was for us in these pictures.

1440291771_StingrayCity.jpg.ab6748bc38ab18b4fba63f191efa050b.jpg

1159753949_StingrayCity2.jpg.5d433b69ff91059ed0a383d42dfddb04.jpg

did this tour just last week. I think there is some confusion here. Stingray City is not swimming with the stingrays. It is a semi-sub which you board and watch the stingrays from inside. You never get wet at all. A launch takes you from the dock to the boat. You will certainly want your camera with you. I think some of the posters are confusing this with the sandbar excursion where you do indeed get into the water with the stingrays. Stingray City is some distance from the sandbar. We could see it off in the distance. Be sure you know what you want

Stingray City IS a place, a giant sandbar actually... Now with that being said, the "semi-sub" could also be called the " Stingray City"...

On our last trip to GC we decided to book only the "Snorkeling at Stingray City" excursion. We didn't want to bother with the "highlights tour" as we had no interest in a turtle farm or the tourist trap of "Hell".

We did wear our "water wallets" as we intended to go shopping after our snorkel trip, however we left everything else on the catamaran (watch, bag, camera)... They did have one (1) staff member who remained on board the catamaran while we were all out snorkling... There was no problems what so ever!

Cheers!

CCFAN

Archived