Britannia Club Dining For the First Timer

Megabear2

Last year, some friends checked their table found, it to their liking as it was a window table. Unfortunately when they returned that evening they had been mysteriously swapped and another couple were enjoying their view. Apparently they had been given the previous table in error ?? !! What I am trying to say is people shouldn’t be trying moving others from their pre assigned table because they like the position more and certainly not  implying or offering appreciation to facilitate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Last year, some friends checked their table found, it to their liking as it was a window table. Unfortunately when they returned that evening they had been mysteriously swapped and another couple were enjoying their view. Apparently they had been given the previous table in error ?? !! What I am trying to say is people shouldn’t be trying moving others from their pre assigned table because they like the position more and certainly not  implying or offering appreciation to facilitate. 

The issue being discussed here is not about getting a ‘better located’ table than has been allocated (such as by a window), but getting a table for 2 that is also preferably more discrete and not just a hands width from the next ‘table for 2’.

@Megabear2 has a specific need due to a medical issue with her husband and I have the same challenge due to my wife’s disability, where I sometimes have to cut some of her food up for her and she would find this extremely embarrassing if we were sat next to people. 

We cruised with Cunard for the first time this year on the Coronation cruise on QM2 and we were in Princess Grill. The cruise was sold out (it sold out within an hour of being released). When we arrived in the PG for lunch just after we boarded, the MD showed me to a table that was quite close to the window but very close to another table. I said that this wouldn’t be suitable. He offered me another but that had the same issue. In the end the 3rd table offered was one that possibly nobody else would have wanted, as it was out on a limb by the entrance and had no views whatsoever. It was perfect for us. Complete privacy should I need to assist my wife and it also had the benefit of being much quieter (the main body of the dining room was quite noisy).

I appreciate that some people possibly make up ‘issues’ to justify why they need a better table (or even bribe), but those of us with genuine needs are often happy to have tables that would be deemed unpopular for others. Who knows, the couple who had originally been allocated the table that we ended up with may have been delighted to find that they had been swapped and were seated near a window?

We are very much hoping that we can find a similar table when we are in Britannia Club for two 14 nighters on Queen Anne next year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The issue being discussed here is not about getting a ‘better located’ table than has been allocated (such as by a window), but getting a table for 2 that is also preferably more discrete and not just a hands width from the next ‘table for 2’.

@Megabear2 has a specific need due to a medical issue with her husband and I have the same challenge due to my wife’s disability, where I sometimes have to cut some of her food up for her and she would find this extremely embarrassing if we were sat next to people. 

We cruised with Cunard for the first time this year on the Coronation cruise on QM2 and we were in Princess Grill. The cruise was sold out (it sold out within an hour of being released). When we arrived in the PG for lunch just after we boarded, the MD showed me to a table that was quite close to the window but very close to another table. I said that this wouldn’t be suitable. He offered me another but that had the same issue. In the end the 3rd table offered was one that possibly nobody else would have wanted, as it was out on a limb by the entrance and had no views whatsoever. It was perfect for us. Complete privacy should I need to assist my wife and it also had the benefit of being much quieter (the main body of the dining room was quite noisy).

I appreciate that some people possibly make up ‘issues’ to justify why they need a better table (or even bribe), but those of us with genuine needs are often happy to have tables that would be deemed unpopular for others. Who knows, the couple who had originally been allocated the table that we ended up with may have been delighted to find that they had been swapped and were seated near a window?

We are very much hoping that we can find a similar table when we are in Britannia Club for two 14 nighters on Queen Anne next year. 

I'm so glad you said this.  Until put in our positions others may not understand.  Sadly if we can't be offered a suitable table we either don't go somewhere or in the case of a ship would resort to room service or taking buffet food to a suitable out of the way place.  We have found certain places and hotels very helpful over the years so tend to revisit them as they are do accommodating, Italy and Greece being particularly stand out. After sailing with Cunard for so long I have convinced my husband they will be one of these welcoming places, everything I am reading here is convincing me the regulars on-board the ships feel the same.

This is our lot in life but just for once for the first time in a very long time we want to holiday together and enjoy each other's company for our 45th wedding anniversary.  I have faith Cunard will provide as they've never let me down yet.

• Thanks 1

As has been said, the likelihood is  a two top will probably be available but looking at the table plans [which of course are only impressions and can change cruise to cruise] two tops don't seem to be in favour.

Probably doesn't cut it and so my advice to Megabear2 is to get in touch with Cunard, either through your agent or direct and ask to speak to the disability/accessibility [whatever the title is] department and explain there are difficulties when eating. No need to go into detail other than it's awkward and possibly embarrassing. That could cover a multitude of issues.

Get your request acknowledgement in writing and when you board, if not satisfied, you can show any email trail to the M'd. Leaving it to chance,* for this important a health issue,  is chancy

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Megabear2  if needed, try this

Accessibility@carnivalukgroup.com>

Thank you very much. I have our disability form so will send it all off to here with details.

Re the two tops the count was exactly why I queried it as it was indicated to me by telephone after my booking confirmation was received that there may be as many as 28 sharing tables in QA's Club restaurant.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you very much. I have our disability form so will send it all off to here with details.

Re the two tops the count was exactly why I queried it as it was indicated to me by telephone after my booking confirmation was received that there may be as many as 28 sharing tables in QA's Club restaurant.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the fact that a number of tables have been allocated as sharing tables, because they could all quite easily be occupied by folk who actually want to share.

When travelling with friends and family we might have 2 or 3 cabins but all wish to dine together. I appreciate that I don’t have the experience with Cunard that you do, and I know what your Cunard contact told you, but I just can’t see them forcing Club passengers who specifically want a table for 2 to share against their will.

Hopefully this won’t be famous last words, but I’m confident that we will both get tables for 2, the only challenge potentially being a ‘proper’ table for 2 rather than one that is just inches apart from the next ‘table for 2’ 😂 

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As I’ve said elsewhere, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the fact that a number of tables have been allocated as sharing tables, because they could all quite easily be occupied by folk who actually want to share.

When travelling with friends and family we might have 2 or 3 cabins but all wish to dine together. I appreciate that I don’t have the experience with Cunard that you do, and I know what your Cunard contact told you, but I just can’t see them forcing Club passengers who specifically want a table for 2 to share against their will.

Hopefully this won’t be famous last words, but I’m confident that we will both get tables for 2, the only challenge potentially being a ‘proper’ table for 2 rather than one that is just inches apart from the next ‘table for 2’ 😂 

You may be right but Victoria2 is extremely knowledgeable and helpful on all matters Cunard so I particularly value her opinion.  Nothing to be lost in doing as she suggests so I shall do as suggested by her and the other people who kindly replied.

For us it would be a disaster.not an inconvenience as splashing out for something we would not normally consider is a big treat and a trip with no worries would be most welcome after my last two P&O cruises.

37 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Good.

It's all very well for social media to say ‘you’ll be ok', but if it’s a make or break your holiday scenario, then belt and braces is the way to go.

At least, it is for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You may be right but Victoria2 is extremely knowledgeable and helpful on all matters Cunard so I particularly value her opinion.  Nothing to be lost in doing as she suggests so I shall do as suggested by her and the other people who kindly replied.

For us it would be a disaster.not an inconvenience as splashing out for something we would not normally consider is a big treat and a trip with no worries would be most welcome after my last two P&O cruises.

I’m flattered, thank you but my restaurant knowledge is of QG, but anything to do with disability, I’ll try and help.

I like to think I tell it how it is around the ship rather than how I would like it to be and I  dislike any any form of 'social discrimination' for want of a better phrase, and dress disdain for those who don’t attain some folks 'standards'.

29 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I wasn’t suggesting not to do as Victoria2 suggested. Far from it - we have already done that through our TA in fact who have confirmed that they have communicated our needs to Cunard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wasn’t suggesting not to do as Victoria2 suggested. Far from it - we have already done that through our TA in fact who have confirmed that they have communicated our needs to Cunard. 

Cunard were not do helpful as it's a mental health condition rather than physical.  The form requested was not forthcoming at first so an email as suggested at this stage is a good idea. I hadn't been given that email address so can at least now deal with the correct department.

As said at the top of the thread cruise lines and travel companies aren't too understanding on mental issues as you look quite normal as in my husband's case.

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Cunard were not do helpful as it's a mental health condition rather than physical.  The form requested was not forthcoming at first so an email as suggested at this stage is a good idea. I hadn't been given that email address so can at least now deal with the correct department.

As said at the top of the thread cruise lines and travel companies aren't too understanding on mental issues as you look quite normal as in my husband's case.

So call it a medical issue, which it is and if pushed, describe it as a digestion disorder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think that's just an unfortunate fact of life that mental health issues are not adequately dealt with by society as a whole. It's not a Cunard thing really. Until we collectively understand mental health better we will have to live with the consequence of ignorance and prejudice. When I first started working for the NHS (rather a long time ago) I was shocked to discover someone (an Oxbridge graduate) sectioned for epilepsy, thankfully that wouldn't happen now but progress is slow.

But I really would not worry. The thing about Cunard's Maître d' id they will 101% know when there is a genuine need for a particular arrangement, versus someone just doing special pleading for a nice window table. They will have seen absolutely everything in their time, and just about their biggest job is to make sure that no-one is embarrassed by the activities of Britannia Club so that everything goes smoothly. If they aren't doing that, what else are they doing? The other factor is that they can move tables around if necessary, it's not even difficult. More important: relax and enjoy planning the nicer things!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Quite. If a change can be facilitated, it will be without any aid of 'the before'. If it became known a M'd was receptive to 'befores', I doubt he would last too long in the job.

To indicate 'thanks' would be forthcoming if change could be facilitated is demeaning to the role of a M'd.

To  show gratitude at the end of the cruise is a personal matter.

Hello!  As I said, I am not getting into a tipping debate.  The issue is NEVER RESOLVED.  And the debates are tiresome.  Passengers can do as they please.  As a long time Cunard patron going back to 1992, I do what works for me and I ALWAYS get the table I want.  I do hope the OP follows my advice once on the ship.  

DECK CHAIR.

Edited by deck chair

7 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hello!  As I said, I am not getting into a tipping debate.  The issue is NEVER RESOLVED.  And the debates are tiresome.  Passengers can do as they please.  As a long time Cunard patron going back to 1992, I do what works for me and I ALWAYS get the table I want.  I do hope the OP follows my advice once on the ship.  

DECK CHAIR.

It was an opinion, given and not up for debate as far as I;m concerned.

• Like 1