Any Recent Luminae Experiences on E-class Ships?

Bask

We were on the Edge sailing from Barcelona to Rome in August, and our Luminae experience was very good for this seven day sailing. The service was exceptional, with a great team. It was a full sailing, and still the staff was attentive at every meal. Food and selections were what you would expect from the dining venue. No complaints at all! 

• Like 2

Just off the Apex 2 weeks ago, and dined in the Luminae, and I have to say it was a bit hit and miss. Some of the waiters were great (two of them recognised us off a previous cruise 2 years ago and were always attentive and great), but others were a bit lacking.

Just as a sample, and by no means every time, but enough to mildly annoy (which it shouldn't on a vacation): No pre-dinner bread was forthcoming at times when other tables nearby were and after our appetisers were served we had to ask; entrees were served up half way through appetizers; wine was fairly slow on occasion (you could tell the 'favoured' tables), often promised it was on its way, but never materialised after three 'reminders'; breakfast juice was forgotten about, overlooked or very slow as was coffee sometimes.

Food was 'OK', we felt menu somewhat limited. It could be great and we had 2 or 3 great meals and experiences, but more often than not we just felt it lost its sheen.

We are not demanding to be honest, I would let things go and say to myself that they are busy, or short staffed or just a one off, but it wasn't and in the end as I said, I felt mildly annoyed and frustrated, compared to how my two previous experiences were.

We were underwhelmed with the menu one night and ate in one of the MDR's and the contrast was amazing (albeit a different set up) - an attentive sommelier and waitress, great choice and tasty food in a vibrant atmosphere and a really pleasant dinner.

It could just be our cruise or perhaps I was a bit too grumpy or my expectations too high, but overall I have had better and was underwhelmed. We will give X a miss next time and have booked the new Star Princess in summer 2025 for the new Signature Suite concept and see how that fares!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say I agree with ian441672 above. We were on Apex in August and were very disappointed in the Luminae experience. Most of the staff were wonderful and we felt the Sommelier was fantastic, but perhaps we were sadly a “favoured table”. However, it was crowded, loud, and the food was significantly underwhelming. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for sharing.  Increasingly concerned about Luminae considering there's been the opposite of no affirmative signs of a commitment by corporate/management to the Retreat experience for the premium paid relative to other options on the ship.  Luminae menu was already a bit inflexible, although at least there were options and sometimes classics well executed.  And, design flaws with the service areas on Apex and Edge don't seem to help for beverage, and certain other parts of the dining experience.  In my view the standout has often been breakfast as nothing comparable is available on board.  

Edited by Cap_D

We just got off the Edge yesterday and I found Luminae service to be very good and fairly consistent.  And it got better as the cruise went on--which is what I look for.  They knew our names, usual drinks and seating likes after a day, and they remembered our various dietary restrictions as well (not easy).  No sooner had I sat down for breakfast than my gluten free toast was brought to me.  I found the quality of the food to range from good to excellent, with lunch being the weakest link (unfortunately I had my worst Luminae burger experience on this cruise).  My family bonded with our servers more on this cruise than the prior few--maybe because our primary two servers had kids of the same ages and gender at home?  

My one complaint is the crowding.  We've been on other cruises where the Retreat was fully booked but we've never had a wait more than a few minutes for a table.  But for this cruise, in addition to those 'usual' wait times, for 2 out of our 5 dinners in Luminae we had to wait more than 20minutes--which was very disappointing.  This was not a hostess/server issue...perhaps more diners or perhaps diners wh lingered longer....?