NCL Trieste Embarkation/Train from Venice Experience - Beware

catbro

I meant to post this so others on here would be aware after our OCT 2022 NCL cruise from Venice: but I had an accident on a Greek ferry afterward that required me to return home early for surgery so forgot to post. Hoping to make others aware of what to expect when taking the train from Venice to Trieste cruise embarkation.

We booked Trenitalia from Venice to Trieste. This is a train line and schedule that was obviously designed for local service. Nothing like the large Frecciarossa trains that can accommodate tourist travel with assigned seats. But with the change to embarkation ports outside of Venice proper it is experiencing incredible overload. Before the train arrived at St. Lucia station people started gathering on the tracks and I mean a LOT of people. While I observed a small fraction of locals the majority were boarding with one or two huge suitcases with cruise tags and obviously going to the cruise port.

When the train arrived, there was so much pushing and shoving to get on board it was unbelievable. Something I learned about Italian and Greek public transport. Once onboard there were small overhead racks that could store nothing larger than a backpack. So people had to put their bags on seats to not block the aisle. Therefore fewer seats were available and this train did not have reserved seats so first come first served. I truly felt sorry for the locals who had their train line turned into a tourist transport and had to deal with the unbelievable crowd. 

It was an experience I don't want to repeat and never expected to experience. So just offering this info for those sailing from "VENICE" which is no longer Venice if they are taking the local train. It was an early morning train around 8 AM. If I had to do it again I'd hire a car. 

last year we took the b2b from venice (trieste) since venice proper, is an amazing and beautiful city, we flew in a few days early. Prior to leaving the states, we arranged for a shuttle to pick us up at our hotel in venice (ac marriott) and drive us to trieste. We spent the day prior to embarkation, at the doubletree.

they had an ncl desk in the lobby. we signed up, the shuttle bus arrived  promptly at 10, and drove us directly to the port, no problems.

why would i ever consider taking the train, if i have to schlep my luggage aboard? there were 3 of us and it was a 14 day b2b.

while i am certainly not criticizing anyone else's plans, there are ways to make your journey much smoother than poor catbro.

btw, hope you have fully recovered.

• Like 1

For those that like trains the ride from Venice to Trieste is great.  I fully enjoyed the journey this august on our trip.   You do have to handle your own luggage, not an issue for us.  It's one of those train journeys not to be missed.  Great views of the countryside.  Fast and comfortable.  Speeds were around 80 mph.

Lots of people complained last summer about the train from Venice to Trieste, but I haven't heard any complaints this summer.  Perhaps more carriages were added?

I chose to avoid the Regional train out of Venice. I boarded a Frecce train in Mestre instead;  Business class, reserved seat, and even got a free coffee and biscuit. 18E.  Less than 12 people in our carriage.

It was great !  

Keep in mind that it's about a 15 minute walk from the train station to the pier.

• Like 1