Naples - Royal Palace of Caserta or Procidia?

llarsen

Hi,

Our cruise will have a port day in Naples next September.

We've been to Amalfi coast, Capri, Ravello, Positano, Pompeii and Sorrento in the past. 

We dock at 6:30am and have to be back on board around 2:30pm.

I was thinking of taking the train to the Royal Palace of Caserta. The train takes you directly there in about 45min.

Has anyone done this?

I can't seem to find any posts mentioning it. Everyone seems to do the Amalfi Coast or Capri but I am looking for something new and easy.

Another option is taking a ferry to Procidia.

Any info or thoughts on either of these options is appreciated!

Yes, DW and I took the train to Caserta, based on a suggestion of Eurocruiser.  We had a delightful day, but I think the highlight was the very impressive gardens (at the rear of the palace, where one can walk for 2 (or more) miles.  Caserta is an important place for those of us interested in WWII history.  While I would not recommend the trek for a first (or even second) time visitor to the Port of Naples, it is a terrific option for folks that have done most of the usual things and are looking for something new.

As to Procida, it is another option for those that want to do something a bit different.  Ischia is another option, and one could debate whether Procida or Ischia is the better destination for a port day on an island.  Keep in mind that the high-speed ferries to either of these islands are somewhat infrequent, so you need to check the schedules to figure out how to make it work.  In fact, when we intended to go to Procida, we missed the ferry by a few minutes...looked at the schedule board (at the ferry terminal) and noticed an upcoming ferry to Ischia...which is where we spent that particular day.  

I would add that we would not go to either of those islands unless the weather was favorable.  One terrific advantage (of many) for the DIY traveler is the ability to alter one's plans at the last minute to deal with current weather.

Hank

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, DW and I took the train to Caserta, based on a suggestion of Eurocruiser.  We had a delightful day, but I think the highlight was the very impressive gardens (at the rear of the palace, where one can walk for 2 (or more) miles.  Caserta is an important place for those of us interested in WWII history.  While I would not recommend the trek for a first (or even second) time visitor to the Port of Naples, it is a terrific option for folks that have done most of the usual things and are looking for something new.

As to Procida, it is another option for those that want to do something a bit different.  Ischia is another option, and one could debate whether Procida or Ischia is the better destination for a port day on an island.  Keep in mind that the high-speed ferries to either of these islands are somewhat infrequent, so you need to check the schedules to figure out how to make it work.  In fact, when we intended to go to Procida, we missed the ferry by a few minutes...looked at the schedule board (at the ferry terminal) and noticed an upcoming ferry to Ischia...which is where we spent that particular day.  

I would add that we would not go to either of those islands unless the weather was favorable.  One terrific advantage (of many) for the DIY traveler is the ability to alter one's plans at the last minute to deal with current weather.

Hank

Hank, I really appreciate your reply! I am also happy to see you are still here on CC helping others.

I don't know if the Covid shutdown of cruising had anything to do with it, but it just seems that CC has changed over the last few years. Roll calls aren't even the same. Reviews are scarce...I don't know?

Anyway, my husband and I love gardens, so I think Caserta sounds like a good option. I also must have time for some great Neapolitan Pizza! If you have a place you recommend in Naples, please let me know. We have a pizza oven and I've been trying to master the Neapolitan dough, 🙂

Ahhh Pizza,

Am a pizza lover and would argue that the best pizza is in New York City :).  In Naples, we did once go to the famous L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele (where they only make two kinds of pizzas, Margarita and Marinara) where we sat at a long bench (crammed with other folks) and had our pizzas with a soda (served in a plastic cup).  While the pizza was good, we did not think it worth the 45 minute wait (out on the crowded sidewalk).

So here is the thing, some folks argue that the best pizza in the world is to be found just outside Caserta (I kid you not).   The place is called Masanielli and it's owned by a famous pizza guy named Francesco Martucci.  We have never been there (I am not sure how far it is from the Caserta train station) but thought I might toss out the name (you can do the research).  Some of the reviews on TripAdvisor are awful, but if we are ever back in Caserta we will have to give it a try.  

I do not know why we have seen fewer reviews (here on CC) but suspect that many are like me and do not want to spend the time and trouble putting a review into the accepted CC format and carefully writing so as not to upset any of the mods.  We do post mini-reviews on the actual cruise boards, and often get flamed for our trouble (but we stand behind what we post).   We have recently spent 6 weeks on HALs Westerdam and nearly 5 weeks on the Seabourn Quest.  As a result, we will not book anymore HAL cruises (unless they get their act together) and will happily cruise on Seabourn in the future 🙂  My biggest complaint about the Seabourn Quest was that they could not make a decent (or even half decent) pizza.  That being said, the caviar is always good.

I will mention that we have done a fair amount of cruising since COVID (Seabourn, MSC (Yacht Club), Princess and HAL) and with the exception of HAL have been happy cruisers.  We are still seeking the perfect cruise line/ship (a lifelong obsession) and the search is lots of fun.

Hank

On 9/1/2023 at 7:35 PM, Hlitner said:

Ahhh Pizza,

Am a pizza lover and would argue that the best pizza is in New York City :).  In Naples, we did once go to the famous L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele (where they only make two kinds of pizzas, Margarita and Marinara) where we sat at a long bench (crammed with other folks) and had our pizzas with a soda (served in a plastic cup).  While the pizza was good, we did not think it worth the 45 minute wait (out on the crowded sidewalk).

So here is the thing, some folks argue that the best pizza in the world is to be found just outside Caserta (I kid you not).   The place is called Masanielli and it's owned by a famous pizza guy named Francesco Martucci.  We have never been there (I am not sure how far it is from the Caserta train station) but thought I might toss out the name (you can do the research).  Some of the reviews on TripAdvisor are awful, but if we are ever back in Caserta we will have to give it a try.  

Hank

Hank, THANK YOU so much! Masanielli is only 8 mins walk from the Royal Palace! Menu looks like he gets very creative with his pizzas, so it will be interesting. I might find that I prefer the plain old Margarita, but I can't wait to try this place! Looks like we need to book a table, but we have plenty of time to do that. Thanks again! 🙂

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

Hank, THANK YOU so much! Masanielli is only 8 mins walk from the Royal Palace! Menu looks like he gets very creative with his pizzas, so it will be interesting. I might find that I prefer the plain old Margarita, but I can't wait to try this place! Looks like we need to book a table, but we have plenty of time to do that. Thanks again! 🙂

My goodness, if you do get to this place, please post a review here.  My theory about pizza is that perhaps Naples truly invented the dish (that is often debated) and make a decent pizza, but in parts of the USA we have taken pizza to a better place.  When we first started traveling to Ialy (about forty years ago) pizza was only found in the evening and considered part or all of dinner.  I think that tourism is primarily what drove Italian pizzerias to open during the lunch hours, and once they realized the big market it has spread throughout the country.  In Naples, when we went to Pizzaria da Michele for lunch, many of the customers were Italian (although the one's with whom I spoke were from other parts of Italy and also wanting to experience Naples Pizza.)

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My goodness, if you do get to this place, please post a review here.  My theory about pizza is that perhaps Naples truly invented the dish (that is often debated) and make a decent pizza, but in parts of the USA we have taken pizza to a better place.  When we first started traveling to Ialy (about forty years ago) pizza was only found in the evening and considered part or all of dinner.  I think that tourism is primarily what drove Italian pizzerias to open during the lunch hours, and once they realized the big market it has spread throughout the country.  In Naples, when we went to Pizzaria da Michele for lunch, many of the customers were Italian (although the one's with whom I spoke were from other parts of Italy and also wanting to experience Naples Pizza.)

Hank

Yes, If we make it there I will post a review. We will also try Pizzaria da Michele. They are in my Naples notes! Thanks again 🙂