Santorini - 7 Ships

dock

Hi all, on our day in Santorini there will 7 ships, totaling over 11000 passengers. 

We’ve been twice before on a cruise and once as a land trip. 

We had planned to go to do a beach day but with 7 ships I’m a bit concerned about line ups to get back on board. 

Is it best to consider this a Sea Day and just stay onboard? Has anyone been to Santorini when it’s this busy? 
Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, dock said:

Hi all, on our day in Santorini there will 7 ships, totaling over 11000 passengers. 

We’ve been twice before on a cruise and once as a land trip. 

We had planned to go to do a beach day but with 7 ships I’m a bit concerned about line ups to get back on board. 

Is it best to consider this a Sea Day and just stay onboard? Has anyone been to Santorini when it’s this busy? 
Thank you. 

You could take a boat tour of the caldera as your beach day. There are some that leave from the tender port so you don't have to worry about cable cars or donkeys. All you have to do is tender there and back. With all those cruise ships in port I would book it ASAP. The ship probably offers that excursion too.

• Like 2

Thank you. 
I did notice the Boat day with a stop at a beach and then return to the tender port. 

I can’t imagine this many people on the island so we’ve decided to  book this tour of the caldera and then spend the rest of the day onboard. 

• Like 1

I used to live in a port with a population not too dissimilar from Santorini.

The arrival of one cruise there was manageable - I can't imagine the thought of seven at once being anything other than a new Greek island called Horrendos.

It sounds like you have found at least a reasonable workaround but personally I'd enjoy a quiet ship.

• Like 2

We have a port day next year there with 10k passengers. We are doing the boat excursion, even though we generally do not take ship excursions, and have never been to Santorini. Too many people and the stories I have read just sound like a miserable day. It’s a shame that they continue to allow this to be the norm there, but I guess money talks louder than keeping a beautiful island enjoyable. We also will spend the rest of our day and evening on the ship. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...