Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

1 hour ago, MLB1828 said:

I’m so sad that your trip over is ending! Although it does mean my trip is closer! Lol

i do hope you’ll be able to continue reporting through the next 20 days until the trip back, I have truly enjoyed following along on your adventures. I told my mom about your “mobile bar” and she immediately started searching for the water bottle she wants to bring 😂 You may have started a trend, we’ll have to see if half the ship back is similarly equipped 😉

Too funny I should have branded my own to sell 😆 

I won't be as live until the return crossing but I'll have a few daily updates while in Europe and on Cunard.

• Like 9

One more coffee. 

16963968013674200438132629119982.thumb.jpg.97154f04a1660a1fbafc007ef4ba5188.jpg

I had no idea the ship would be this quiet so early. I'm more of a wake up at 8 and scramble to be out of the room by 830 kind of cruiser.

Or if I need to be off more a wake up and walk off kind of cruiser.

My hotel check in is not until 3pm so I'm going to wait until last call.

• Like 5

Disembarking halted just after 8 because the terminal is full.

At 830 andy came on again and said please stop coming down....or ignore me and keep coming down and be miserable crammed in a line that's not moving  😅.

I'm in no hurry I can wait here or the hotel so I will wait here patiently until they cut off the wifi.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Rewinding back to disembarking I got up at 950 to leave the ship.

There was no line to leave, the guy behind asked how many were still on board and he said 200.

There was a short line at customs but it moved quickly. A quick glance and a stamp and we were on our way.

We exited the terminal and went towards the line for taxis across the street. We were stopped and informed the line was behind us. It wrapped around the building. Around the building it was back as far as the eye could see.

The back of the line.

20231004_042222.thumb.jpg.2d79c4073072067d3a61dd65a34cc0bb.jpg

You cannot see anywhere near where the line curves to the front of the building forget about seeing the line in front of the building and in the taxi stall.

That was at 1022. I was regretting not taking a shuttle to the airport and trying for a taxi from there.

It ended up not being too terrible at all. The line moved very fast. Taxis were coming in and loading up about 10 at a time with a constant turnover. As one group moved out, another moved in.

• Like 5

The Freedom getting loaded with supplies.

20231004_044805.thumb.jpg.5513980139a7aa2db5247ba737d38ce7.jpg

The next time I see her she will have a brand new funnel. 

This was at 1048, about 5 minutes before we reached the front of the taxi line so about a half hour. Not great but not unbearable. 

Uber was more expensive according to people near us in line.

Our taxi cost €28.50 and is located near the airport but a little closer so expect a taxi to the airport to be a couple euro more. Credit cards were accepted. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot_20231004-080315_Chrome.thumb.jpg.48e7829179eeb76af984e0736734d40f.jpg

Total cost for this hotel for 5 nights is $853.91 inclusive of everything except a €13 city tax I paid at check in.

This was the best price I could find for a hotel with decent reviews. So far I am happy with it. It is comfortable, clean, and the staff seem friendly and were able to accommodate am early check in.

I don't think it is in a good location for touring but the price difference I think will make up for that. 

• Like 7

Once we rested for a few minutes Hunger kicked in. I Googled food near me. I have downloaded offline maps for Barcelona so that I can get around even without service or wifi. 

Found a spot right across the road and we stopped in. 

I ordered a hamburger with goat cheese (€11.70) and a fried egg (€1.50).

20231004_062936.thumb.jpg.3f8f587ff12e0a05705bcad2b523a313.jpg

My mom ordered a chicken sandwich with ham (€6.75)

20231004_063308.thumb.jpg.78ce862f8d7ca74d43a0cf1d9702685d.jpg

My burger was good although I would have liked the cheese to have a stronger flavor. My mom also enjoyed her sandwich and the prices were fairly reasonable. 

We got a donut to go (€1.25) and they threw in an extra for free. Very nice. 

• Like 9

We will be joining you on Oct 23 on the way back.  Have you heard anything about change in port when embarking that day.  Supposedly the usual port will cease to exist as of Oct 22.  Also, can you check if there is a liquor store after security check in.  Thanks so much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Too funny I should have branded my own to sell 😆 

I won't be as live until the return crossing but I'll have a few daily updates while in Europe and on Cunard.

Did any staff give you a hard time about pouring out of your "mobile bar"? I had made mimosas in my mom and my Carnival tumblers and took them to Sea Day brunch.  Our waiter took our order and then said "brought your own drinks?" with a bit of a side-eye.  I said yes and he smiled and moved on.  I felt a little nervous after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kmb4567 said:

We will be joining you on Oct 23 on the way back.  Have you heard anything about change in port when embarking that day.  Supposedly the usual port will cease to exist as of Oct 22.  Also, can you check if there is a liquor store after security check in.  Thanks so much.

I have not. I believe I read our terminal is not impacted but I don't know that for sure.

There was a liquor store after security if we are in the same terminal. 

All the stops in the ports of call had us go through security again after passing the duty free, but I don't know if they would have collected if we had purchased anything since I did not try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigDog46202 said:

I'm curious @jam19872016 - how was Tio Phil in the Red Frog? They are moving over to the Pride for our TA! Looking forward to hearing them.

I don't remember much about them. I don't think I caught much of their set. I don't remember any of the acts being bad so you should be good. Enjoy your TA there were a lot of freedom pax going back on Pride. 

• Like 1