Christmas Eve in Ft Lauderdale

bburf42

Our cruise ends in Miami on Christmas eve and our flight is scheduled from 611pm that evening. I think we plan to rent a car to go from POM to FLL plus find something to do for 5-6 hours.

First, any suggestions for things to do in that time considering some things may be closed for the holiday already? (2 adults and 2 9yo's). Second, in a worst-case scenario if flight gets cancelled (happens to us a lot...) suggestions for hotels near FLL for Christmas eve plus restaurants that are likely to be open Christmas day? I know places like Denny's but maybe there other local places?

Thank you!

A full service hotel like Le Méridien, Marriott Harbor Beach, Marriott FLL and Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina will have their hotel restaurants open on Christmas Day.

For the day you arrive, assuming your flight stays as scheduled, I'd go to DayUse.com and get a room at the Riverside Hotel or Marriott Harbor Beach. You can use the pool area, eat in the restaurants, etc. From the Marriott you could go to the beach.

Given your relatively short time period (assuming you disembark at Port Miami around 8 am, rent a car - are you doing that from MIA?, drive to Fort Lauderdale, and have to be at FLL to turn in the car by 4 pm) I suggest driving to Fort Lauderdale, parking the car in a public lot near a water taxi stop (www.watertaxi.com), and spend your afternoon riding the taxi, getting off at Las Olas and window shopping, having lunch (the water taxi even offers discount coupons to some restaurant, checking out the beach, etc.  Even in daylight during the holiday season the beautifully decorated mansions and yachts are worth seeing.

• Like 1