Honolulu overnight parking near cruise terminal

gt1701a

48 minutes ago, gt1701a said:

Are there any parking lots somewhat near the cruise terminal that you have experience parking over night?  I'd rather not go all the way back to the airport to park.

Yes-- there are lots and garages (mostly in office buildings) that are close to the pier. You can google parking for exact locations. There is zero reason to go all the way back to the airport-- waste of time and money to get a ride back. 

Unless you have two definitive days of rental car need, our strategy is to pack all we want to do with the car into one day and just drop the car back after hours at the rental location in Waikiki. This way you avoid paying for parking all together. 

The parking near the pier downtown will be slightly less expensive than parking in Waikiki, which can be very expensive, so keep that in mind. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well we are tentatively planning on flying to Maui for the day on Thursday.

On Friday we plan on going snorkeling - hopefully at Hanauma Bay if we can get reservations.  We also plan to go to Pearl Harbor on our own and maybe drive around a little bit.  I found it was much cheaper to get a car from the airport.  So we will get one Thursday night and then drive to port and park.  Then start out first thing Friday am for snorkeling.  We had also thought about hiking Diamondhead (Reservations required).  We are taking 2 teens and niether have been to Hawaii or Maui, so reason we are thinking of day trip to Maui :). Husband and I were Oahu in May and did a circle Island tour.  I do feel that is something you could certainly do on your own with a rental car!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gt1701a said:

I found it was much cheaper to get a car from the airport.  So we will get one Thursday night and then drive to port and park.

Parking in downtown and Waikiki overnight can run $50-70 so can easily wipe out any savings by renting at the airport-- sort of becomes one of those "who do you want to give the money to" things so keep that in mind. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gt1701a said:

Husband and I were Oahu in May and did a circle Island tour.  I do feel that is something you could certainly do on your own with a rental car!

Can I ask what your favorite stops were on your circle tour?

Thinking about hiking Diamond Head on Day 2 also.

Edited by theloo

We went down by Diamondhead, stopped by a blow hole, stopped someplace for Huli chicken, drive so more and stopped at Pineapple plantation.  It was all really pretty but a lot of time on the bus.  I would have preferred stopping more often.   We only made 3 stops.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gt1701a said:

We went down by Diamondhead, stopped by a blow hole, stopped someplace for Huli chicken, drive so more and stopped at Pineapple plantation.  It was all really pretty but a lot of time on the bus.  I would have preferred stopping more often.   We only made 3 stops.  

That's one reason I want to DIY ... the tour sounded like it was a lot of driving by and not stopping to enjoy or explore.  Was the blowhole active?  I went to the blowhole in Kauai and was not impressed.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Hiking Diamond Head is a great idea.  Recommend you get reservations for when they open.  It will be a cooler hike and you can watch the sunrise.

Sunrise is at 7am and the park opens at 6am, so getting there that early from the ship will be a challenge!