Tales of wild weather?

Don't have any surface weather stories to tell, since I've only done one surface "cruise", but around 1991, I was on a North Atlantic run in Winter, and we were stuck running at a relatively shallow depth. Due to the surface conditions we were still doing 30 degree rolls, and we did this for nearly a month. Lots of sick squids on that cruise. It was a mess, propping your arm on your tray and holding your glass, so that you could eat without the tray sliding around the table, or your glass tipping over. It was even worse when we came shallow. Most people don't know that the wave action goes quite deep below the surface. I can attest to that.

I was on the Glory 2 summers ago and we had 3 extra days for Hurricane Frances. The weather was beautiful the whole entire ship until the last 2 days. I remeber being at the pool and since the ship was rocking so much it was making waves inside the pool. They closed down the front pool because a kid somehoe hit is mouth on the rails in the pool (what a site that was). Then all of a sudden the ship started to list to the right and the water started to come out of the pool and deck chairs were sliding and before it was even done listing there were crew members getting us out of the pool and keeping all pools closed for the rest of the day. That night at dinner which was just about empty it was rocking so bad that you drink in your glass was shaking. They had barf bags all over the ship. Since I don't get seasick I thought it was kinda fun since it happened on the last couple days of the cruise and we got an extra 3 days anyway.

We were on Splendor in February and coming back to Galveston we hit a front about 300 miles out. 55 knot winds and 18 ft seas.icon9.gif The ship got pretty deserted....many were in their rooms holding their stomachs. We spoke with the cruise director and he said waves were splashing against his cabin window on deck 6.

Darlin' bride and I have been on 6 cruises and this was the only time we ever felt a little under the weather.

Archived