Tales of wild weather?

We've heard very often on these boards of bad weather while at sea. Call me crazy, call me stupid (oh sorry, that's the don't bring your iron on the ship thread), I really don't mind rough seas. Is it just me? - I find rough seas not "fun" but part of the experience. Without ruining the entire cruise line industry and scaring away all of the passengers, what are some of you stories?

Our first cruise was really, really rocky. Didn't bother me too much--kind of like being drunk without the bar bill! I prefer smoother seas, our last cruise was like glass. You still get some motion, but at least you can walk up and down the stairs without the threat of falling!

Well, first of all...don't bring an iron on board the ship; bring a steamer...hahahahaha

Our FIRST cruise was trying to leave Miami in a mild hurricane, and the ship kept slamming against the pier. The had to get tugboats to literally haul us out of the harbor.

Then there's the trip where we were in St. Maarten, and DH was dickering over a video camera, thinking he would just wait for St. Thomas, and I'm in the back of the store watching the live on-the-street interviews with the local island inhabitants telling how they were boarding up their houses, because the HURRICANE WAS DUE TO HIT AT 5 PM THAT DAY!!!!

I went up to the front of the store and told DH, "You'd better buy that camera NOW, and we better get back. Something tells me the ship's gonna leave early!"

Sure enough, it was blasting it's horn like crazy, and we got out of Dodge, so to speak, and boogied as far away from the hurricane as possible. Circled at sea for a day.

Alexis has the worst story, though. It's a sad one.

Well, first of all...don't bring an iron on board the ship; bring a steamer...hahahahaha

If you were part of the iron debate (And I'm the first to say I got carried away with it) What can I say other than been there, done that, (lost my left arm so to speak) learned my lesson.... be nice....or be gone!

We've been in (rough) so they said, seas. - 12 foot ? Is that lots? I have no idea. We really didn't mind except you had to be carefull on the stairs - each step kinda came "up" to meet you.

Our FIRST cruise was trying to leave Miami in a mild hurricane, and the ship kept slamming against the pier. The had to get tugboats to literally haul us out of the harbor.

Then there's the trip where we were in St. Maarten, and DH was dickering over a video camera, thinking he would just wait for St. Thomas, and I'm in the back of the store watching the live on-the-street interviews with the local island inhabitants telling how they were boarding up their houses, because the HURRICANE WAS DUE TO HIT AT 5 PM THAT DAY!!!!

I went up to the front of the store and told DH, "You'd better buy that camera NOW, and we better get back. Something tells me the ship's gonna leave early!"

Sure enough, it was blasting it's horn like crazy, and we got out of Dodge, so to speak, and boogied as far away from the hurricane as possible. Circled at sea for a day.

Alexis has the worst story, though. It's a sad one.

OK, I give up. Who is Alexis, and what is her story?

We have been very lucky and have always had great weather!

But we were on the Crown Princess about 10 years ago.. I was in the shops and DH was planning to meet me. All of a sudden the ship starting listing to one side. The items on the shelves starting crashing to the floor. I was next to the perfume/liquor store and you could hear all the bottles crashing. A rack fell onto my back and knocked me to the floor.

Was I worried? No! Not until I saw the look of complete panic on the face of the crew in the shops. They shooed us out of the shops and locked the doors. We were soon stable again. My Dh and I ran upstairs to see what was going on. The pool water had poured out of the pools and washed anything (eyeglasses, books, shoes, etc) on the deck right under the little space below the wind barriers and right off the boat.

The Captain soon came on the loudspeaker and told us that a family of whales were sleeping (they sleep upside down and don't show up on sonar) just below the surface and if we hadn't made the sharp turn that we would hit them and caused significant damage to the ship.

We knew this wasn't a everyday occurrence but we definitely realized its significance when on our next Princess cruise we saw an off duty crewman with a t-shirt that said " I survived the great Whale tipping" and the ship and date.

Sue

We've heard very often on these boards of bad weather while at sea. Call me crazy, call me stupid (oh sorry, that's the don't bring your iron on the ship thread), I really don't mind rough seas. Is it just me? - I find rough seas not "fun" but part of the experience. Without ruining the entire cruise line industry and scaring away all of the passengers, what are some of you stories?
How would have liked to have been on this ship in the North Atlantic?

102022.jpg

The Captain soon came on the loudspeaker and told us that a family of whales were sleeping (they sleep upside down and don't show up on sonar) just below the surface and if we hadn't made the sharp turn that we would hit them and caused significant damage to the ship.

Sue

Ok, I'm confused. Someone help me out here....how would upside down whales NOT show up on radar. Isn't radar based on sound waves bouncing off an object which then projects an "image", regardless of which way the object is facing? If this were true, then fish that would be targeted by dolphins for a meal would remain protected by swimming upside down. Pardon the pun, but something seems "fishy" with that explanation.

While I've been on ships that were rocking in moderate to heavy seas (I actually enjoy those too, go figure) that wasn't my worst personal weather story.

The worst was when I was on the Mariner last August and the ship got struck by lightning. That in ITSELF at 4:00 am was pretty dang LOUD :rolleyes: but the resulting ALARMS and ANNOUNCEMENTS and repeating ALARMS after the initial alarm pretty much guaranteed no one in our cabin would sleep again for about three hours. If it was just adults it would have been no problem, but my sound-sensitive kidlet was not a happy camper after that. :)

Stuff happens, not the cruise line's fault, we lived through it.

We were told that whales don't show up on sonar! It had nothing to do with them being upside down, you misunderstood my explanation

What actually happens is the ship can"filter out" things like waves and yes, wales. But run into a herd of them? - I'd go around them too.

The point (not really) of this thread (and its really not) is to scare the living bejesus out of anyone that ever thinks of booking an aft cabin. We put our towel on the railing of an aft cabin last time we were there - SAVED!!!!!Ha Ha and you thought your TA would save it for you!!!!:D

I changed my mind. Good picture though!

Ok we are doing a translantic here soon and this pic is one of my worst fears of having happen. Read the one from a person who took some of the pics from this storm and I DO NOT want to visit anything close to it on my trip.:eek:

You want a scary picture of a rough Transatlantic crossing? Try this.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/jralaw/

click on Transatlantic wmv.

Baton down the hatches. Enjoy!

It was Jewel of the Seas returning from Europe last year, since we are on her in two months I am glad she can handle this stuff.

Kate

WOW! Now that's a scary trip! Looks like scenes from the movie "Perfect Storm"

We've been unable to dock at islands twice before because of strong currents. Once last year on Disney Magic, we couldn't dock at their private island in the bahamas cause the ship kept turning sideways.

And then on the Norway, we couldn't dock until REALLY late, like 5pm at the NCCL private island because of bad currents too. We were suppose to dock at 8am. So we didn't have much time on the beach.

on my first cruise, Serenade to Canada in Oct 2003, we were coming back to NY from Halifax and hit a storm that had very high winds and fog. the captain even came on and said he thought it would be smart to stay off the top decks. me and my friend being thrill kids went out and have a blast, the ship was rockin and rolling we could not even see 15ft in front of us. that is the night i shot the worst round of mini golf.

as it looks just like our September 2004 Transatlantic with a hurricane ahead of us that was giving us 50 foot waves across the atlantic.

The hurricane slammed into Iceland cancelling out stop there so we got Vigo Spain instead and much calmer waters south. At dinner we felt the waves crashing onto the ship, the announcements of no one being able to walk the decks, doors locked. Even on 9th deck we had waves crashing on our balcony door. On deck 4 you just saw water water everywhere as they were under it.

Amazing that folks know they will be seasick but do not bring Bonine or whatever they like to cure it for them. Dining room was almost empty for half the trip, so we had great service. Many shows were cancelled due to rocky stage and to watch the curtains slamming against the walls.

We were very entertained by it. Walking like a drunk. Seeing other folks doing the same & laughing with us since we're headed to the same locale on the ship so they'd follow us. Even the elevators would stop because they were moving off their tracks. Freaked folks out & we were laughing at it. We enjoy bad weather for a great cruise.

How would have liked to have been on this ship in the North Atlantic?

102022.jpg

Great shot of wonderful cruising. My husband hope Jewel 5.14 will hit some fun waves.

Ok we are doing a translantic here soon and this pic is one of my worst fears of having happen. Read the one from a person who took some of the pics from this storm and I DO NOT want to visit anything close to it on my trip.:eek:

We are on Splendour in April and I dont take waves so well, bringing along lots of meds to take just in case we do hit some bad weather and now I am thinking maybe a video camera as well to film anything we do hit. Please Dont let it be us who has weather like that one on film.................

I am a weather nut, so I'm enjoying these stories, keep 'em coming! But, who is Alexis, and what is her story??

As PhoenixCruiser said above:

"Alexis is one of CC's best posters (ok, at least one of my favorites ) She does have a great story and I hope she sees this thread and posts it again."

She was on a cruise several years ago and saw the aftermath of one of the BIG hurricanes. Amazing story!

#22 report.gif

post_new.gif Today, 12:43 PM

pcur user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_6124152", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorasmom

I am a weather nut, so I'm enjoying these stories, keep 'em coming! But, who is Alexis, and what is her story??

As PhoenixCruiser said above:

"Alexis is one of CC's best posters (ok, at least one of my favorites ) She does have a great story and I hope she sees this thread and posts it again."

She was on a cruise several years ago and saw the aftermath of one of the BIG hurricanes. Amazing story!

Peggy - cruising since the '70s

:D

Maybe this will help:

OOHHH.....ALEXIS!!!!?

We were on a Panama Canal cruise on the Legend a couple of years ago that was so rough, you could spot the DRUNKS, because they were the only ones that were walking STRAIGHT!!!

Archived