Whose Responsibility?

anaco_angler

Ok, admittedly this method requires that the "other table" people have at least half a brain, but we've found that even with nearby tables on Viking, if one does a relatively curt nod upon arrival and a "Good evening" and then immediately turn back to chatting to each other, it conveys the message that we're not totally impolite, but that we're not open to a conversation tonight. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, janetcbl said:

There are a few tables for two at the very rear of the dining room that aren’t on top of the adjoining table. We had one many nights and we could actually hear each other speak. Other nights we were at window tables for two, with a four too right next to us and the evening was more “sociable”. We liked both setups.

Our experience is that the private tables for two fill up quickly.  We won't stand in line like many others do when the Restaurant opens, but I'm sure if we did we'd have a much better chance of getting the private table.

45 minutes ago, RobEsson said:

Ok, admittedly this method requires that the "other table" people have at least half a brain, but we've found that even with nearby tables on Viking, if one does a relatively curt nod upon arrival and a "Good evening" and then immediately turn back to chatting to each other, it conveys the message that we're not totally impolite, but that we're not open to a conversation tonight. Your mileage may vary.

We haven't had luck with the other tables having half a brain.  And we simply prefer our neighbors not being able to hear our conversations, even if they got the point that we didn't sign up for a shared dining experience.  On most recent cruise I told my wife that we need to ask for quiet seat even if that means sitting at a table for 4.  So, thanks for the heads up on what works for you.

• Like 2

Some nights we get packed in at the restaurant and some nights we were lucky enough to have a window 2-top with a large unoccupied round next to us... that was very nice 🙂  

We are quiet people but we try to just roll with it.  If we get some friendly neighbors, we will respond.  One cruise we were at a 2-top between 2 other 2-tops in The Restaurant.  Since we all sat down at different times, we had separate conversations going with each side... one side was adamant that the food on VO was the best, much better than Oceana... and you guessed it the other side was saying that the food on VO just wasn't nearly as good as Oceana.  That was fun. LOL  
We like VO food but we have never been on Oceana... and we still don't know which is better 😄 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, farmecologist said:

Well I'm happy for you...but it certainly is an issue for some...hence the discussion.  Not sure what your point is?  🤷‍♂️

Not sure what your objection is. Certainly just trying to answer the concern that there is not privacy in eating venues—we have never experienced it as an issue. Others may not know about the variety of options.

• Like 1

Been on 5 Viking Ocean cruises. Had many table for two in Restaurant. Mostly on the left side of room when you enter. We usually eat anywhere from 7 -8:15. So by the window some not,   some nights are somewhat noisy because people are having fun especially table of six or more, other times  it is just fine even if we  we get a table  near another two top. Always can have a conversation with my sister.

Chef table is always only half filled when we go there. Manfredi  is fine too  especially after 7:30. We do not eat in World cafe for dinner, we like to have full service and sit down and be served. Servers are always outstanding. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, farmecologist said:

Well I'm happy for you...but it certainly is an issue for some...hence the discussion.  Not sure what your point is?  🤷‍♂️

Looking at your comment again—I think you’ve misunderstood me. As quiet people who don’t always like to socialize, we’ve never found a problem in any seating venue on Viking. Always able to get a private table—and occasionally we have a nice conversation with people nearby.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Not sure what your objection is. Certainly just trying to answer the concern that there is not privacy in eating venueswe have never experienced it as an issue. Others may not know about the variety of options.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this.  Or we have different definitions of privacy.  I don't think anyone would say there is privacy if you are sitting in the row of tables for two at the Restaurant where there's barely room for the waiter to get between the tables.  I've never been in these seats and not hear the entire conversations of the adjacent tables.  At one point I told my wife I was putting in my AirPods, but she wouldn't go for that.  I compare these tables to riding in the gondola while someone is having a phone conversation - just not my cup of tea.  

There are other eating options, but the relevant posts were about the Restaurant and there's no guarantee for a private table for two.

You even state in another post that sometimes you have a nice conversation with people nearby.  This is not what I call privacy.

I'm just trying to honestly point out what may occur in the Restaurant.  Just because it does not bother you, it clearly may upset others.  To the point of completely avoiding the Restaurant.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Looking at your comment again—I think you’ve misunderstood me. As quiet people who don’t always like to socialize, we’ve never found a problem in any seating venue on Viking. Always able to get a private table—and occasionally we have a nice conversation with people nearby.

Linda - we are on TA on Neptune now.  You once mentioned MDR table number(s) you enjoyed as a twosome for a quiet more private experience.  We haven’t been back to MDR since experience those horrible jammed in 737 two tops! 😉

do you remember the numbers or specific liacation that you would request?

• Like 1

I guess one of the things that I think of is that restaurants at home that we go to, there is often not much room between the tables, and you are close to your neighbours...  as close as the The Restaurant on a Viking Ocean ship.

I think that the difference is when you are in a restaurant at home, you are not typically talkative with your dining neighbour, whereas on a ship, you are on a shared experience and most all are being polite and nice and just want to share the experience.  The ship is like a community of people that are together in the experience and most are very open to talking.

We are private people and we get a table for two where we can.  We have been seated at a 2 top beside the window and at a 2 top along the long wall backing to the kitchen - where the tables are very close.  98% of the time, we have just sat, started our conversation, and not had any "interference" from the neighbouring tables.  Perhaps we look unapproachable?  Perhaps we look rude an uninterested in talking?  

I also recognize that some are stating that they cannot have a private conversation with people so close.  We talk about the day and tomorrow's attractions and very benign things.  If we have something to discuss that is more private that we don't want someone to overhear, we would do so in the cabin.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Linda - we are on TA on Neptune now.  You once mentioned MDR table number(s) you enjoyed as a twosome for a quiet more private experience.  We haven’t been back to MDR since experience those horrible jammed in 737 two tops! 😉

do you remember the numbers or specific liacation that you would request?

Hi Kent,

Hope you’re having a great voyage! Sure wish Viking would give out awards for the most  VO cruises because I believe you are closing in on a score (20) soon!?

I’ll send you an email about our favorite tables—but it has been revealed by others on here before, too. 😉

• Like 2

This may work for some.

We will tip the Host at the check-in desk in The Restaurant.  Then we ask for the same table each night and we have had success with that.  This way we get the table we want, and we get to know the serving team for that table really well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mwike said:

Sorry but I completely disagree with this.  Or we have different definitions of privacy.  I don't think anyone would say there is privacy if you are sitting in the row of tables for two at the Restaurant where there's barely room for the waiter to get between the tables.  I've never been in these seats and not hear the entire conversations of the adjacent tables.  At one point I told my wife I was putting in my AirPods, but she wouldn't go for that.  I compare these tables to riding in the gondola while someone is having a phone conversation - just not my cup of tea.  

There are other eating options, but the relevant posts were about the Restaurant and there's no guarantee for a private table for two.

You even state in another post that sometimes you have a nice conversation with people nearby.  This is not what I call privacy.

I'm just trying to honestly point out what may occur in the Restaurant.  Just because it does not bother you, it clearly may upset others.  To the point of completely avoiding the Restaurant.

^^ What you said.

For some reason, we get a bit uncomfortable when in very close proximity to other diners.  Not the end of the world, but it doesn't make for a pleasing dining experience.  

The weird thing is that we are completely comfortable socializing in any other venue.  I think it is the fact you are "captive" when dining in close proximity to others and it isn't nearly as easy to walk away. 

BTW - I took a peek at the "360 degree tour" page and it looks like the Restaurant is the most problematic.  The other venues all look much better as far as "table for two" seating goes...assuming the vanues are set up as pictured in the "tour".

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/content/oceans-360/start.html

Edited by farmecologist
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Hi Kent,

Hope you’re having a great voyage! Sure wish Viking would give out awards for the most  VO cruises because I believe you are closing in on a score (20) soon!?

I’ll send you an email about our favorite tables—but it has been revealed by others on here before, too. 😉

I'd be interested in this as well....assuming this isn't top secret information. It sounds like it might be!  😁